PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals WR Ryan Swope retires due to concussions

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/360534587987857408
#AzCardinals place WR Ryan Swope on reserve-retired list. Not a shock, but tough way for his brief Cards career to end.

After at least four college concussions, Swope wasn't even cleared to take part in non-contact practices, and with training camp starting tomorrow, it seems that either he or the Cardinals just decided it wasn't worth it. I'm glad he's getting out while he still has a somewhat functioning brain, rather than going the Austin Collie route of being willing to sign a waiver just to get signed.

Really, it's horrible news. Best of luck to Swope for his future endeavors.

What a bummer. I really wanted the Patriots to draft him from the third round on. He could have been great if it weren't for those concussions.

Gutted for the guy, does anyone know how much money he'll get from his contract?

Gutted for the guy, does anyone know how much money he'll get from his contract?
His signing bonus was $115,788. Not bad by most standards, but far less than the $2.275M over his four year contract.

Wow, I remember reading how he ran like a 4.35 at his pro day, caught everything, and the article said the Patriot's scout in attendance was practically drooling over Swope's pro day performance. What a shame.

Wow, I remember reading how he ran like a 4.35 at his pro day, caught everything, and the article said the Patriot's scout in attendance was practically drooling over Swope's pro day performance. What a shame.

Heck, so were many of us here. :(

Everyone but the Draftniks knew he was damaged goods, so he lasted to the tail end of the draft. Cards rolled the dice and got snakeyes.

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/360534587987857408

After at least four college concussions, Swope wasn't even cleared to take part in non-contact practices, and with training camp starting tomorrow, it seems that either he or the Cardinals just decided it wasn't worth it. I'm glad he's getting out while he still has a somewhat functioning brain, rather than going the Austin Collie route of being willing to sign a waiver just to get signed.

Collie is probably going to be in a nursing home by the time he hits his 50's, drooling in a wheel chair. He should just get out of football for his own good. That hit that he took against the Eagles in 2010 was one of the most devastating hits I've ever seen in all my time watching football.

Austin Collie Big Hit - YouTube

This is very sad news. He was 6th on my WR list until I learned of his concussion history at the combine. Maybe he's getting out before permanent damage has been done. I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agsMmAL_nn8

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back