PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can't explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is pretty sweet, my favorite stat were the 13 3rd down tries by this high flying offense that only gained 13 yard and 3 1st downs.. that I will savor for a while.. then there are the highlights.. J. McCourty, Van Noy, Hightower, Gronk, Michel on and on... then there is Brady and Edelman... all under the leadership of BB...

The sweetest for me was Superbowl XXXVI, their first as it was something I never thought I would see in my lifetime.. even though there are "sore butts" among the losers of that game who want to taint that victory .. went to the rally afterward outside of Boston City Hall, was the largest and scariest crowd I have ever been in..
This is the historic one, the one that cements Belichick and Brady as the greatest tandem of all time, the dynasty as the greatest of all time, Belichick as the greatest of all time, Brady as the greatest of all time and it was all done against the odds, clobbering three excellent teams on the way.

53 was important because there's no longer a debate, it's the emphatic STFU, sit down and appreciate the Patriots.

This is about as sweet a Super Bowl as a team can win. I still can’t believe it.

We became the first team to lose a SB and come back to it in 25 years. If that’s not difficult enough, we became the first team in 47 years to lose a SB, come back the next year and win it. And considering the way we lost last year with Butler’s fiasco, it makes it even more special. Look at the Seahawks, one coaching decision and it torpedoed their franchise. They never recovered from it. And if all of that is not impressive enough, we beat three 12+ win teams to win it. We had the most difficult path imaginable before the playoffs started, Chargers then Chiefs at Arrowhead then one of Saints/Rams.

We overcame so much during the year the Gordon suspension, Edelman’s suspension, the Miami fiasco, the 1-2 start of the year, even losing to the Steelers!

I’m so happy for Gronk, he got a terrible concussion last year in the AFCCG, played an incredible SB, was on the verge of retiring on such a sour note, then he was nearly traded, vetoed only by his loyalty to Brady, a lot of injuries this year and to come so big in the last two games of the year...seeing him so happy after last year makes me delighted.

So happy for Gilmore, Rex, Dorsett, Allen and the rest of the guys who had one slip away last year but won it for the first time this year.

Happy for McDaniels who made a risky career move to stay with us and arguably had his finest year as an OC.

And finally, happy for Brady and Belichick who didn’t let the team wallow about last year and used all their leadership skills to overcome every obstacle we faced.

We’ve come to a point where another Super Bowl does nothing for B&B’s legacy. That’s why this title is extra special. There’s nothing to chase anymore. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the hell of these last couple of years watching these two maestros making the entire league go insane.

This is the historic one, the one that cements Belichick and Brady as the greatest tandem of all time, the dynasty as the greatest of all time, Belichick as the greatest of all time, Brady as the greatest of all time and it was all done against the odds, clobbering three excellent teams on the way.

53 was important because there's no longer a debate, it's the emphatic STFU, sit down and appreciate the Patriots.
And the way it went down just makes it a more emphatic STFU. Rams played hard, but they were completely shut down on offense. For the entire game. One of the best offenses ever. Never really in the game.

I keep getting a fresh buzz every time I see some new details about the Pats’ defensive performance. Truly epic.

several things go together to make it pretty special

-Given how things looked after Miami, this postseason was certainly unexpected
-The three opponents, record-wise, made it an historically TOUGH road
-The Rams game never seemed in doubt, so it was, relatively speaking, a cardiac friendly DOMINATING performance
-The team, player, and coach records set have to make you smile, most SB wins, most playoff wins, Brady matching Montana PLUS Manning, BB going to the top ... and more!

I'm still smiling too!

And for a SUPPOSEDLY "boring" game, I have re-watched it like 4 times already and can't stop.

Gotta say I don't recall being this jacked & pumped for days following the other "Tom Brady Winter Invitational" victories.
I too loved the smash mouth D. And The Squirrel's hit 'em hard blocking that elicited whining from Rams DEFENDERS! Epic!!!
I also had the least post season expectations for this squad. I was so wrong.
Perhaps it is because now, untainted with new NFL owner made up scandals, there is NO DOUBT that BB & TFB are the GOATS.

I am not sure this was the most dominating defensive performance. You have to give credit where it is due to 2 Super Bowl defenses that played a full game without giving up any points: Miami in Super Bowl VII and Baltimore in Super Bowl XXXV. In each of those games, the only opponent points came on special teams.

The 1972 Redskins were 7th in points and 11th in yards. They scored 336 points.

The 2000 NY Giants offense was ranked 15th in points and 13th in yards. They scored even less than the 72 Redskins (328 points).

Not even in the same league as the 2018 Rams who ranked 2nd in both for the season and 11th all-time. They scored 527 points.

The 1972 Redskins were 7th in points and 11th in yards. They scored 336 points.

The 2000 NY Giants offense was ranked 15th in points and 13th in yards. They scored even less than the 72 Redskins (328 points).

Not even in the same league as the 2018 Rams who ranked 2nd in both for the season and 11th all-time. They scored 527 points.
If you have to go outside the game to describe the game itself, that shows a weakness in your argument.

Seriously.... it’s ok to admit that in 100 years of NFL history and 50 years of Super Bowl history, other teams not named New England had a few good individual teams in there.

If you have to go outside the game to describe the game itself, that shows a weakness in your argument.

Seriously.... it’s ok to admit that in 100 years of NFL history and 50 years of Super Bowl history, other teams not named New England had a few good individual teams in there.
I thought we were talking about the performance of the defense in the game. Not sure how comparing the level of competition in the other games is not relevant. It’s ok to admit you made a bad argument.

I’m with ya. I usually can’t stop smiling for a few days after a SB. This time, might not be able to wipe the smile off of my face for a couple of weeks.

The Agony and the Ecstacy. As happy as I am now, I was extremely depressed after last year’s loss. And honestly, I was so depressed because I had feelings crawl into my head that SB 52 might just be Brady’s last chance to win a SB.

Despite throwing for 500+ yards vs the Eagles, I just thought it was going to be his last chance. There are never any guarantees that you can get back for another shot at it, look at Marino, one SB as a 23 year old, and never got back. Gronk was talking about retiring, Edelman was coming back after an ACL, there were question marks about Amendola & Lewis (both wound up leaving). And of course the rumored problems in the locker room (including Butler benched for SB 52). So though several of these things happened during and AFTER the SB, I just had a bad feeling SB 52 might be Brady’s last chance.

Then the start of the 2018 season, injuries and inconsistencies, start the year 1-2, lose to some bad teams. Had me feeling even worse about SB 52. Just lots of doubts creeping in.

But of course, when you have Belichick and Brady, it’s never over, never out of reach. Honestly I expected them to beat the Chargers at home. But all season, I thought the Chiefs were the best team, and were unstoppable. Thought they were gonna beat everyone. That win in KC in the AFCCG, was just as satisfying (for me) as some of the SB wins. It was just astounding. Just incredible. And **** everyone who says their underdog mentality was fake, hardly anyone predicted they would beat KC (the smart ones knew). How many morons were saying the Dynasty was over before even the Charger’s game ? So for me, the KC game was pure ecstacy.

The SB, my god, that defense. Can’t get over the greatness of that defensive performance. If you think about it, they gave up 290 total yards to KC and 260 total yards to the Rams. That’s 550 yards, those guys probably hit 550 in several games. The Pats let up 122 yards rushing in 3 playoff games. That’s astounding (just missed the record I believe, I think it’s 121 yards). But the SB was the defensive masterpiece. I don’t give a **** who disagrees, that’s the greatest defensive performance in a SB, period. ZERO trips to the red zone for the Rams, ZERO ! I’m sure that has never happened, even to the only other team to ONLY score 3 points, the Dolphins in SB 6.

This SB win was just pure ecstasy for me, I’ve been smiling since the game ended. I’m still in shock that they’ve won SIX Super Bowls, SIX !!! As a Pat’s fan, how can we not be on cloud nine for months ? A SB win makes everything seem a lot cheerier, free agency, the draft (I love picking 32nd !), everything.

I thought we were talking about the performance of the defense in the game. Not sure how comparing the level of competition in the other games is not relevant. It’s ok to admit you made a bad argument.
Then I guess we disagree on the parameters of the discussion, and I stand by my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe