PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

Demonstrating for the kaziilionth time in human history that.."stats are for losers."
He's been very accurate all year, and I'm not talking about Ken O'Brien accurate. I'm talking about throwing downfield. Making bad decisions to throw into double and triple coverage is a bad decision, not a loss of accuracy. After all, he means to throw it where he does.

He's been very accurate all year, and I'm not talking about Ken O'Brien accurate. I'm talking about throwing downfield. Making bad decisions to throw into double and triple coverage is a bad decision, not a loss of accuracy. After all, he means to throw it where he does.
That makes sense. I don't see much evidence overall that either confirms or disproves Mac is up to the job long term. We are not likely to get such confirmation until Mac is longer burdened with bottom-of-the-barrel coaching. Bill screwed this up: he needs to fix it, so we can get out of this uncertainty re our young qb. The solution is to dump Mat and Joe. I wouldn't wait. It's not as of we are going to accomplish anything re the playoffs this year, and we DO need to know what we have behind center.

I'm not seeing the overall dysfunction and incompetence on offense that others are. They've moved the ball well between the 20s. While it hasn't always been sharp, it has struck me as relatively functional, especially for a first-year, first-time OC.

The real issue lies in red-area execution and situational football (the two of which are not mutually exclusive). They're not scoring enough points. This comes down to coaching and QB play, and is absolutely where the impact of Patricia and Judge is being felt.

Judge, in particular, has no business coaching the QBs. None, at all. Patricia I think is smart and experienced enough to manage a functional offense but he lacks the polish, nuance, and attention to detail of a long-time OC, which really comes down to accrued experience coaching offense, which Patricia doesn't have under his belt. This manifests as poor situational timing/execution, particularly in the red-area.

Bill would rather hire his buddies and people he’s comfortable with than someone who gives his team the best chance to win. The Patricia hiring is just inexcusable because everyone with a brain knew it would be a disaster. Is his daughter coaching the defensive line yet?

I'm not seeing the overall dysfunction and incompetence on offense that others are. They've moved the ball well between the 20s. While it hasn't always been sharp, it has struck me as relatively functional, especially for a first-year, first-time OC.

The real issue lies in red-area execution and situational football (the two of which are not mutually exclusive). They're not scoring enough points. This comes down to coaching and QB play, and is absolutely where the impact of Patricia and Judge is being felt.

Judge, in particular, has no business coaching the QBs. None, at all. Patricia I think is smart and experienced enough to manage a functional offense but he lacks the polish, nuance, and attention to detail of a long-time OC, which really comes down to accrued experience coaching offense, which Patricia doesn't have under his belt. This manifests as poor situational timing/execution, particularly in the red-area.
Meanwhile, the college ranks are strewn with good young OCs, there are one or two good NFL OCs who are out of work and someone tell me what would have been wrong with promoting Nick Caley?

Bill would rather hire his buddies and people he’s comfortable with than someone who gives his team the best chance to win. The Patricia hiring is just inexcusable because everyone with a brain knew it would be a disaster. Is his daughter coaching the defensive line yet?
But...but...Bill always does what's best for the football team. He says so himself!

OL has been dysfunctional much of the season. The QB looks uncomfortable. The TEs are rarely involved much. The zone runs are being blocked a bit better but are still a work in progress in Week 13. Instead of building on last year, overall it has regressed and is now trying to get back to last year’s level. We’ll see over the last six weeks, but right now it’s a middling offense at best.

The issue here is that Mac Jones had the best season of any rookie QB with Josh McDaniel. His regression this year is directly traceable to a new offense that has no discernible philosophy or identity. This offense does not make the most of the skill sets of the players, and the offensive line is not working as a unit.

If Dante Scarnecchia was coaching this line it would be far better, less penalized, and his voice would be heard by Patricia and Judge on what works and what does not.

This is not second-year QB Mac Jones' fault.

We don't really know what the causes of their struggles are, and what proportion of the responsibility falls on whom. I'm sure a new and inexperienced OC is a big part of it, but unequivocally absolving the quarterback of any accountability for the offense's struggles is a difficult one to accept.

This is far from Mac's problem entirely, but he's some part of it. He can play better - he himself has acknowledged as much. He did show improvement against the Vikings, and naturally the offense gained more yards and scored more points with the help of his improved play. Let's see if he can keep it up.

And none of that is to say that the OC or QB coach are blameless.

The issue here is that Mac Jones had the best season of any rookie QB with Josh McDaniel. His regression this year is directly traceable to a new offense that has no discernible philosophy or identity. This offense does not make the most of the skill sets of the players, and the offensive line is not working as a unit.

If Dante Scarnecchia was coaching this line it would be far better, less penalized, and his voice would be heard by Patricia and Judge on what works and what does not.

This is not second-year QB Mac Jones' fault.

Not all his fault of course... But he absolutely does share the blame along with the coaches, OL & Nelson Agholor (aka the Stupidest WR in Football).

1) Because the coaching is so bad, it is not possible, despite Mac's dismal performance this year, to determine whether Mac is our qb going forward.

However..

2) Mac has shown absolutely nothing by way of evidence that he is the sort of player who can compensate, as a genuine franchise qb must, for the adversity he is facing. Things are not as good for him this year as last, and he has shown NO ability to overcome that. Therefore, we have no evidence that he is anything other than what his record this year and the second half of last year clearly show: an average to below average, run-of-the-mill mediocrity.

It is possible that if or when Bill finally gets his head out of you-know-where and fires Patricia, Mac may do better, but there is NO evidence to this point that he has any such resilience: none.

Saying Mac bears no blame for his significant failures is lazy nonsense.

The title of this thread sucks.
Carry on.

Pairing a first-year, first-time OC, with a young QB, was always a risky move. I can't understand it.
The record of new OC & second year QB isn't good to begin with.

Then when you just write it down ....

OC has no real-time experience in this particular space, at this level. QB is limited in terms of how he deals with pressure + a shakey OL isn't exactly a recipe for success.

The title of this thread sucks.
Carry on.

When I saw the thread title for the first time, I originally feared that Santy Claus had reversed the Naughty & Nice lists or something...

Offense is way too predictable.
Mac looks like he is seeing ghost out there.

Is it time for Kraft to bring a GM since BB as GM isn’t getting it done.

Never felt more deflated ( pun intended) as a fan than today .

Get Matt outta the door. Same goes with judge and I don't want them to sign any of the middling veterans Meyers and J Jones included. Next year also seems a wash. Can we save cap for 2024 when we can get rid of our tight end contracts and possibly have one more season to fine tune our talent.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back