PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sold to Walmart heir Rob Walton for $4.65 billion

Apparently the stake that Bowlen offered Elway in the 90's would have been worth north of $900 million but Elway turned it down.

Here is an excerpt from Rovell’s story: “In September 1998, then Broncos owner Pat Bowlen offered Elway, who had just led the Broncos to their first Super Bowl title, a 10 percent piece of the team for the money that they had owed him ($21 million). Bowlen sweetened the deal by offering another 10 percent of the team for $15 million. ... “At the $4.5 billion valuation, John Elway’s 20 percent stake that he could have gotten for $36 million would have been worth $900 million today, a 1,330 percent return, factoring for inflation. He also gave up the rights of first refusal to buy the rest of the team.”

It’s actually a bit more than that because 20% of $4.65 billion is $930 million. Despite passing on the ownership stake, Elway made $45.4 million in his playing career, became general manager of the Broncos and they won Super Bowl 50. Elway also sold his car dealerships in 1997 for $82.5 million in stock.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/s...etes-sake/article262293607.html#storylink=cpy

Sounds like a steal. Wish I would've known it could be had at that price.

And no matter what else one might feel about Robert Kraft, he did keep the team we root for here. Even taking into account his CT bluff.
Had to do the CT deal. Only with the reality of the team's departure would the legislature ever have done anything to work with him.

Reminder to those who may not know, Tagliabue dispatched his lackey Goodell here to liase between Kraft & the state, because the terms of the deal prohibited any direct negotiation with anyone else.

That's why Robert stuck with Roger for so long, including supporting retaining him as Commissioner.

It's stupid.

And Kraft bought Foxboro Stadium for 45 million, the Patriots for 172 million, constructed Gillette Stadium for 325 million, and then renovated the stadium again for another 225 million...for a combined total of 767 million....16.5% of what the Walton group bought the Broncos for 28 years later.....

Even if you threw in what Kraft probably spent on Patriot Place, the two planes, and other things like the Revolution/eSports teams/the Lobsters tennis team(s)......he still made a hell of a deal in buying the Pats from Orthwein...
All of that combined is only a small fraction of what he's spent promoting and plastering the flying elvis everywhere for nearly three decades.

It still doesn't suck any less.

Think they'll restore their classic logo & uniforms?

Surely they can't claim they're too poor to afford the expense of the big D's production.

Then again, Disney is richer than dirt but is still cheaper than the Sullivans.

I think Krafty Bob is a good owner, but:
a) Let's not ignore the time value of money
b) What if he put it into Google/Tesla/Amazon instead?
c) If he's doing so great, why the trips to the Orchids of Asia?
d) Yeah, he did threaten to move the team to Hartford, but only after Southie told him to pound sand (or worse)
Bob.
Kraft.
Loves.
flying.
elvis.
and.
blue.
jerseys.

and.
Drew.
Bledsoe.

Apparently the stake that Bowlen offered Elway in the 90's would have been worth north of $900 million but Elway turned it down.

Here is an excerpt from Rovell’s story: “In September 1998, then Broncos owner Pat Bowlen offered Elway, who had just led the Broncos to their first Super Bowl title, a 10 percent piece of the team for the money that they had owed him ($21 million). Bowlen sweetened the deal by offering another 10 percent of the team for $15 million. ... “At the $4.5 billion valuation, John Elway’s 20 percent stake that he could have gotten for $36 million would have been worth $900 million today, a 1,330 percent return, factoring for inflation. He also gave up the rights of first refusal to buy the rest of the team.”

It’s actually a bit more than that because 20% of $4.65 billion is $930 million. Despite passing on the ownership stake, Elway made $45.4 million in his playing career, became general manager of the Broncos and they won Super Bowl 50. Elway also sold his car dealerships in 1997 for $82.5 million in stock.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/s...etes-sake/article262293607.html#storylink=cpy
If I remember "the rest of the story", Elway's advisors told him he'd be better off taking the cash and investing it in Internet stocks.... Hope they picked Google and Amazon and not CMGi or Yahoo.

Bob.
Kraft.
Loves.
flying.
elvis.

and.
blue.
jerseys.

and.
Drew.
Bledsoe.
Is he free fallin'?

She's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America, too
She's a good girl, who's crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses, and her boyfriend too

And it's a long day livin' in Reseda
There's a freeway runnin' through the yard
And I'm a bad boy, 'cause I don't even miss her
I'm a bad boy for breakin' her heart

Now I'm free
Free fallin'
Yeah, I'm free

Free fallin'

Is he free fallin'?

She's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America, too
She's a good girl, who's crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses, and her boyfriend too

And it's a long day livin' in Reseda
There's a freeway runnin' through the yard
And I'm a bad boy, 'cause I don't even miss her
I'm a bad boy for breakin' her heart

Now I'm free
Free fallin'
Yeah, I'm free

Free fallin'
If he had survived, the King I think would have had a good rapport with us, even if he was a Titans fan or whatever.

But he didn't make it, and PP was murdered by Orthwein, and Kraft in Joe Biden fashion said, "What's done is done. I didn't do it. There's nothing I can do."

(Translation: "I am better than Billy Sullivan and every trace of his abominable ownership will be stricken from history to the extent I can. I am better than him. I do things the right way. I 'care' more about the three people who died of heart attacks on Monday night than I do about the millions of New Englanders including fans who trekked down Route One and tailgated and stuck by us through thick or thin, those who turned their TV's on to watch and all the great, heroic players and coaches. I corroborate and endorse all of the denigration, dismissal and denial of all the wins we had for over thirty years and I will drive home the propaganda that The Patriots Sucked Forever before I bought the team. It's all about me.

Me.

Me

Me.")

"Call me Gillette instead"
IIRC someone showed the CMGi logo exists somewhere inside Gillete at least in one spot. IIRC it was engraved in some glass and they never replaced the glass.

I often laugh about it because it reminds me of a story. A friend of mine left his "legacy company" job during the Internet Boom (TM) years to go work for CMGi. He told me CMGi was a total :poop: show, everyone there were grifters hoping to cash in, everything they did was half-assed. He hated it so much that used a former co-worker to plant the idea that he could be re-hired, and that's what ended up happening, except he came back as a contractor since there was a hiring freeze on "regular employees". He ended up doing his old job as a contractor on better terms/conditions since his wife's job had better medical benefits and kept that job for years to come, including doing it remotely from New Zealand!

If he had survived, the King I think would have had a good rapport with us, even if he was a Titans fan or whatever.

But he didn't make it, and PP was murdered by Orthwein, and Kraft in Joe Biden fashion said, "What's done is done. I didn't do it. There's nothing I can do."

(Translation: "I am better than Billy Sullivan and every trace of his abominable ownership will be stricken from history to the extent I can. I am better than him. I do things the right way. I 'care' more about the three people who died of heart attacks on Monday night than I do about the millions of New Englanders including fans who trekked down Route One and tailgated and stuck by us through thick or thin, those who turned their TV's on to watch and all the great, heroic players and coaches. I corroborate and endorse all of the denigration, dismissal and denial of all the wins we had for over thirty years and I will drive home the propaganda that The Patriots Sucked Forever before I bought the team. It's all about me.

Me.

Me

Me.")
Every time I think your personal grudge (vendetta?) against Krafty Bob may have died down, you roar back in and prove me wrong!

It's no days off for ol' APF!

Every time I think your personal grudge (vendetta?) against Krafty Bob may have died down, you roar back in and prove me wrong!

It's no days off for ol' APF!
I truly appreciate and understand and respect what Bob has accomplished. And the guy is nice, not nefarious like a lot of his fellow owners.

He just simply does not and will never gain any enlightenment, he's completely tone deaf and lives inside his bubble. The Biden analogy works, I think. Each person has their core beliefs; he truly hates and resents Billy Sullivan. He made up his mind about how things are and will never learn.

I've been wrong about a bunch of things, and I really appreciate people who've set me straight, including a lot of folks right here on Patsfans. Maybe nobody ever seriously confronted him on the matter. Anyway, I get that he's a Democrat. It fits.

He just simply does not and will never gain any enlightenment, he's completely tone deaf and lives inside his bubble. The Biden analogy works, I think. Each person has their core beliefs; he truly hates and resents Billy Sullivan. He made up his mind about how things are and will never learn.

I've been wrong about a bunch of things, and I really appreciate people who've set me straight, including a lot of folks right here on Patsfans. Maybe nobody ever seriously confronted him on the matter. Anyway, I get that he's a Democrat. It fits.
Of course Kraft is tone deaf, he dates women the age of his grand-daughters at the same time as going to the Orchids of Asia for the matinee special.

As for the politics, take it somewhere else. If I want to hear boomers ***** about Biden I'll just go to the nearest Dunkin. Neither Biden nor Trump were paragons of enlightenment, yet both were elected to the highest office in the land. I think that's a good indication of where the problem lies.

Of course Kraft is tone deaf, he dates women the age of his grand-daughters at the same time as going to the Orchids of Asia for the matinee special.

As for the politics, take it somewhere else. If I want to hear boomers ***** about Biden I'll just go to the nearest Dunkin. Neither Biden nor Trump were paragons of enlightenment, yet both were elected to the highest office in the land. I think that's a good indication of where the problem lies.
Didn't mean to inject politics, Joe's just the first person I thought of. It goes back forever, way way before now.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back