PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Daboll Goes to the Jest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will survive fine but I guess if I was BB this would not look good for Mangini . You give him a job and he leave to go to your rival than he wants to take your other coaches.
Maybe I am nive' but why doesn't Mangini start his own coaching tree.
Ingrate B^&**((!

Maybe Troy Brown handles some coaching duties this year in a split role - like WR/DB/WR Coach/DB Coach/etc/etc

Or he could move Ivan Fears back to WR coach. He was the WR coach before Daboll, and find someone else to coach the running backs.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=521

As receivers coach in 2001, Fears helped both Troy Brown and David Patten produce career years. Brown established a franchise record with 101 receptions for a career-high 1,199 yards and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl. It was Brown's first 1,000- yard season of his eight-year career. Patten, who entered the season with just 71 career receptions in four seasons, claimed the starting role opposite Brown and was credited with 51 receptions for 749 yards and four touchdowns.

Fears originally joined the professional coaching ranks as the receivers coach on **** MacPherson's staff with the Patriots in 1991. After two seasons in New England, he accepted a position with the Bears in Chicago, where he coached the receivers for six seasons (1993-98) before returning to New England in 1999.

We have options.

I'm inclined to think that Daboll's move had more to do with the McDaniels selection than anything else. Those two are about the same age, and McDaniels obviously isn't going anywhere soon. So Daboll switches over to another organization, with a coach to who he is well-connected. Maybe in 2-3 years he'll have a shot as the Jets OC after the guy above him moves, or hopefully gets fired for poor performance! :D

still stinks to lose coaches. i wonder if it's a promotion or lateral move

i dont think its a promotion because the jets have shottenheimer as the offensive coordinator. maybe he will be with the wide recievers but just have assisstant head coach added to his title or something like that

I think we will survive fine but I guess if I was BB this would not look good for Mangini . You give him a job and he leave to go to your rival than he wants to take your other coaches.
Maybe I am nive' but why doesn't Mangini start his own coaching tree.
Ingrate B^&**((!

How do you think Bill started his tree? By stealing grafts like RAC and Charlie from Parcell's tree. This is what happens within the coaching fraternity. RAC took guys with him too, and others just left with BB on their resume just like BB left for Cleveland based on being a branch of the Parcells tree.

Hmmm....thing I'm wondering is does this increase the chance that any more Pats players will defect too?

Did he have a specially good relationship with any players? Just my impression, but it seemed like he was well liked.

I don't think I could handle Troy Brown in green.

i dont think its a promotion because the jets have shottenheimer as the offensive coordinator. maybe he will be with the wide recievers but just have assisstant head coach added to his title or something like that

Schottenheimer wasn't exactly Eric's choice, either. Remember he had a hard time assembling a staff, some of it was selected for him. Perhaps he feels he will soon be in a position to make that staff entirely his own, and/or he may know Marty's son is looking to use the OC position with the JETS as a springboard to the HC fast track. Or he may assume that when Marty gets another gig he will want to take his boy with him.

Daboll is an EXCELLENT receivers coach. Is he moving horizontally without a promotion?

Under Daboll the Pats lead the league in fewest dropped balls for a few years. He is a great, great coach.

I hate to say it (who am I kidding), but Josh McDaniels is screwed next year. Yup, had to throw the obligatory dump on him.

Daboll is an EXCELLENT receivers coach. Is he moving horizontally without a promotion?

Under Daboll the Pats lead the league in fewest dropped balls for a few years. He is a great, great coach.
I don't know enough about him either way but Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson aren't exactly ringing endorsements.

Daboll is as good as Scarneccia is with the O-Line. Both turn mostly cast-offs, 7th round picks, and rookies into dominant units. And just like with Scarneccia, there are some players that just don't work out. By the way, picking out Chad Jackson is idiotic at this point.

Daboll is an EXCELLENT coach, and the Pats just took another hit on our coaching talent.

Last edited:
In addition to Ivan Fears, defensive backs coach Joel Collier has

most of his experience on the offensive side of the ball. He has coached

both running backs and wide receivers. He can probably go back to offensive

and Dean Pees can find another defensive assistant.

On the big show weei BB was asked about any coaching changes on his
final show
He replied we will do some tweaking.Maybe failure of Gabriel had
something to do with it

February 14th, 2007
Daboll not yet to Jets?
Posted by Albert Breer at 3:02 pm

According to an NFL source, the Jets have not hired Patriots receivers coach Brian Daboll.

The source did not indicate it will not happen, just that it has not happened. Daboll has been with the Patriots since 2000, serving as a defensive quality-control assistant until becoming receivers coach in 2002. He oversaw the development of David Givens and Deion Branch, and also was lauded in many circles for the outstanding job he did with a patchwork group of receivers through the 2006 season.

The Jets’ receivers coach is Noel Mazzone and the team does not have any apparent openings on its staff. While there is no quarterbacks coach listed, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer — who was position coach for Drew Brees, Doug Flutie and Philip Rivers in San Diego from 2002-05 — works in that role
. [/QUOTE]

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Last edited:
Maybe the Jets hanky panky is continuing.

I hate to say it (who am I kidding), but Josh McDaniels is screwed next year. Yup, had to throw the obligatory dump on him.

That's about what that kind of reactionary commentary boils down to, an obligatory dump.

BB believes that coaching staff's require some turnover to remain motivated and competitive, just as rosters do.

Daboll is as good as Scarneccia is with the O-Line. Both turn mostly cast-offs, 7th round picks, and rookies into dominant units. And just like with Scarneccia, there are some players that just don't work out. By the way, picking out Chad Jackson is idiotic at this point.

Daboll is an EXCELLENT coach, and the Pats just took another hit on our coaching talent.
What are you Daboll's agent.

We lose players, we move on. We lose coaches, we move on. Everyone (unless your name is Brady, Seymour or Belichick) is replaceable.

Losing our wide receivers coach certainly isn't going to make or break our season next year.

If he is gone, anticipate that BB had a plan, maybe someone like Troy will get the offer.. not sure he is interested.. but just a thought.

There may be a plan in place but he has to be hired first. Folloing is Breer's blog.

February 14th, 2007
Daboll not yet to Jets
Posted by Albert Breer at 3:02 pm Boston Herald

According to an NFL source, the Jets have not hired Patriots receivers coach Brian Daboll.

The source did not indicate it will not happen, just that it has not happened. Daboll has been with the Patriots since 2000, serving as a defensive quality-control assistant until becoming receivers coach in 2002. He oversaw the development of David Givens and Deion Branch, and also was lauded in many circles for the outstanding job he did with a patchwork group of receivers through the 2006 season.

The Jets’ receivers coach is Noel Mazzone and the team does not have any apparent openings on its staff. While there is no quarterbacks coach listed, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer — who was position coach for Drew Brees, Doug Flutie and Philip Rivers in San Diego from 2002-05 — works in that role.

This hurts fro the standpoint that it's another thing you have to worry about and assilating a new coach in is just more work.

I think we need to bring in some outside coaches for assistants because we just don't have enough guys to promote internally anymore after we've lost so many coaches to other teams.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw the post before mine. Until further notice the discussion is moot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft