PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks film study (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a big fan of WRs and think their impact can be over stated at times but Cooks will just work really well here. With the Pats D if you can't generate constant pressure on Brady it will likely be a blow out this year if the team stays healthy.

Yup, the precise route running of Julian Edelman, the nuance of Troy Brown/Deion Branch, and the top end speed of Randy Moss. Only injuries can derail this connection and this team. I'm giddy. Never mind that this is a fantasy football video, of course. LOL

Just watched it...

tenor.gif

Yeah, but Brady can't make most of those throws. He is just a dink and dunk guy.

And yes, I am joking. This guy reminds me of Deion Branch but faster.

I kinda feel like we're selling Chris Hogan a bit short. 7-11 was an excellent deep threat for many of the same reasons Cooks is. He didn't have the blazing speed, that's going to be exciting to watch, but what he did have, is a bit more tackle breaking ability, and the same headsy subtlety in his running.

What the concern over Cooks' size means is that Hogan is going to have a niche in this offense against bigger corners and safeties. Hogan is a bigger, heavier guy, and may match up better against some of the more physical corners. I feel the Patriots might even take a some plays when they are in their own territory or on a third and long, and run both Hogan and Cooks out there, split the attention of the safeties, let Cooks (as the higher profile wideout) draw coverage and see who gets open. That seems like a very good way to get Hogan, Cooks or both the space they need behind defenses -- provided the offensive line can do its job.

Or to open up a lane for a dart to Edelman or Dola underneath if the deep duo draw too much attention.

Or slant to White to eat up a quick 6 yards.

Or play action with Gillislee and dump to Gronk and let him abuse a few linebackers.

God this could be a fun year!

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of WRs and think their impact can be over stated at times but Cooks will just work really well here. With the Pats D if you can't generate constant pressure on Brady it will likely be a blow out this year if the team stays healthy.
I think we under value WR's around here because we have Brady who regularly makes receivers look better than they are. Very few QB's can do the same.

And 2006 v 2007 is a pretty good illustration how much of an impact great receivers can make for an offense, even if the season wasn't closed out with a championship.

I think we under value WR's around here because we have Brady who regularly makes receivers look better than they are. Very few QB's can do the same.
We've also made some receivers look awful. you either get the system at some intuitive level or you don't (and even if it is intuitive, you still have to get a feel for what Brady is looking at).

This offense (on paper and for the most part based on past performance) looks insanely good. We're not used to having multiple receivers who can exploit all 3 zones in a defense.

Given a team that goes after another teams weakness and a QB who can get rid of the ball quickly/see the whole field will give some DCs heartburn.

And 2006 v 2007 is a pretty good illustration how much of an impact great receivers can make for an offense, even if the season wasn't closed out with a championship.

Well my issue with great WRs tends to be their cost more than their impact. I think a great WR helps you win but the issue is their cost is usually not worth their impact on the game.

Top WRs WR make a lot and most of the time the contract vs player impact is a loss for the team. I love the Cooks deal cause he will bring in more value than he cost the first 2 years with money vs impact but after that maybe not.

I agree with almost everything this analysis points out except for the fact that he doesn't catch a lot of 50/50 balls. I watched some games of the Saints last year and i had the impression he made the tough catches and came up with the ball more iften than not. Also i think the stat "4 broken takles" will not be a problem because he gets his yards before the catch by running some crisp routes. His understanding of route running is amazing and thats why i strongly think he will grasp this offense. Lastly, if teams want to play press coverage to take Cooks away, they are gonna have a problem on another part of the field. Anyways i'm excited for the season and can't wait to see those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes