PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's endorsements to drop by 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_Zealot

Keep your stick on the ice!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
because of defamegate according to The Street (couldn't find a link). Not sure about the rep of that particular site, but this screams for a defamation suit.

It's insane how an alleged minor infraction has spiraled this far out of control, I hope more and more media types with sizeable platforms come around to a Jenkins/Florio et al mentality. The Fuhrer needs fired!

I know that most of the experts say Brady won't sue for defamation, but I think there still may be a chance. Many experts like Michael McCann say there is at least a decent shot of overcoming the malicious intent standard for a public person. Brady is such a competitor and the League has tarnished his reputation, I can see him fighting every avenue to win back his reputation.

With this, defamation & malicious use of process are a slam dunk in court and if Brady wanted he could easily get $100m+ for it.

I know that most of the experts say Brady won't sue for defamation, but I think there still may be a chance. Many experts like Michael McCann say there is at least a decent shot of overcoming the malicious intent standard for a public person. Brady is such a competitor and the League has tarnished his reputation, I can see him fighting every avenue to win back his reputation.

Again: the standard is not "malicious intent." The standard—"actual malice"—is proving the NFL intentionally lied.

If there is any truth to this, Brady has to sue for deamation. His potential post career earnings are huge.

I've heard his case is weak, but I don't understand that. As a public figure, he would have to prove malice which means he would have to prove Goodell/the NFL has knowlingly lied. There is plenty of evidence of that. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me the case is strong.

Lies:
1. Goodell lied about Brady's testimony and used it as a basis for suspending him. This is undeniable.
2. The NFL lied about ball pressure.
3. The NFL allowed that lie to perpetuate despite requests by the team to correct that despite it being repeated by the national media for months.
4. The NFL lied many times about the investigation being independent which is supported by their own briefs to the court.

The NFL used the media to control the narrative of his lying and cheating. They leaked a story of his destroying his phone before issuing their ruling even though it is misleading as he just upgraded from a broken phone and was an irrelevant issue anyway. The media also trolled him with timely tweets mocking him.

How is this not a strong case?

Last edited:
Pure speculation; basically a "he thinks."

It is pretty unusual for endorsements to be withdrawn prior to a judgment or legal verdict.

They'd look pretty bad if they withdrew endorsing Brady now only to see that his name gets cleared in the end. That'd probably lead him to start endorsing competing brands; a double blow.

Also, sale of Brady's merchandises have actually doubled as a result of this scandal, which would, I think, and more than anything else, influence the decisions of companies wanting him to endorse their products.

Again: the standard is not "malicious intent." The standard—"actual malice"—is proving the NFL intentionally lied.

So they accidentally leaked false info, provided the Patriots with false info...refused to correct both times then outright lied in the decision to uphold Brady's suspension?

Why would a company want Brady when they can have Ray Lewis, or a Chris Carter, or Terrell Suggs etc.......etc.......etc...... Brady is a scumbag and there are so many upstanding stars advertisers can go with out of the NFL.

Brady once said, "I realize that everyone doesn't like me. I'm ok with that."

Done.

"This is an independent investigation"

The investigation was anything but independent

There is a laundry list of intentional lies, and those are just the ones we KNOW about. once Brady's team gets a court to force the nfl to reveal the private info, we will see much more.

Brady could end the nfl if he wanted.

The Gardi letter is pretty clear evidence that they did, for one.

I don't think there will be a defamation suit, personally, but if there is, it's not completely unwinnable.

The Gardi letter is pretty clear evidence that they did, for one.
I would think the emails the Patriots released are worse for the NFL. The Gardi letter could be argued as an unintentional mistake. The refusal to correct it, that's a more difficult argument.

Pure speculation; basically a "he thinks."

It is pretty unusual for endorsements to be withdrawn prior to a judgment or legal verdict.

They'd look pretty bad if they withdrew endorsing Brady now only to see that his name gets cleared in the end. That'd probably lead him to start endorsing competing brands; a double blow.

Also, sale of Brady's merchandises have actually doubled as a result of this scandal, which would, I think, and more than anything else, influence the decisions of companies wanting him to endorse their products.

Yeah I remember seeing his merch sales had doubled/tripled a while back. I have seen instances of haters putting "CHEATER" on the back of his jersey on FB/Twitter etc avatars, but wonder if said haters would blow money to actually do it.

I love me some Brady. But, being objective, why would I want him as the face of an advertising campaign if I own a large national company ? The NFL has done it's upmost to portray him as the greatest of all evil doers.

This sham could in fact cost him millions - and I am sad to say I can't blame companies from distancing themselves. Shame on the league office.

This is an opinion not a fact.

He says the deals coming to him have dropped 50%. Unless he has direct information from Brady's people he is merely guessing.

Keywords in this piece "thinks" and "could"

So they accidentally leaked false info, provided the Patriots with false info...refused to correct both times then outright lied in the decision to uphold Brady's suspension?
This.

Outside of the "legal-ise" discussion, my perfect, vindictive scenario is a trifecta + 1:

1. No suspension
2. No fine
3. League admission of no wrong-doing
4. Defamation suit against Nfl that damages the credibility of Goodell et al to the point that the owners have to fire him

Hey, a guy can dream.:)

A couple months ago just getting #1 seemed like a pipe dream.

This.

Outside of the "legal-ise" discussion, my perfect, vindictive scenario is a trifecta + 1:

1. No suspension
2. No fine
3. League admission of no wrong-doing
4. Defamation suit against Nfl that damages the credibility of Goodell et al to the point that the owners have to fire him

Hey, a guy can dream.:)

A couple months ago just getting #1 seemed like a pipe dream.
#3 is the least likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back