PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady & Gronk Done?

The bucs roster construction makes this a possibility & even more likely in 2023. They have alot of fas & the team is going to take a step back especially on offense.
When you say they have a lot of Free agents on offense....who?

I don't think they win this year, they may go out this week. But losing AB and Godwin may actually be good for them because the team is finally playing Brady-ball and taking what they're given. They have a whole slew of #3 and #4 WRs in Perriman, Johnson, Miller and Grayson. I think they'll be fine--the key is signing Evans and keeping the OL intact.

And with all their injuries on defense, it also looks like they can stand to lose a few there and still be good. I'm not saying they will ever win anther SB with Brady, but with Brady you always have a chance.

He's playing well, he's moving well, he's throwing well, so he stays. Even if they win the SB. Who was the last guy to win 3 in a row? No one? Oh--reason enough to stay.
All their D players came back. They have nobody really out there.

I have been saying it all year that he is retiring. I listen to every word that guy says and it is clear to me something has shifted this year- in one of the Jim Gray podcasts he pretty much says he gets no enjoyment out of winning anymore and he was playing for others.

100% if he wins the SB -
he is retired

50/50 if they don’t win the SB but fully dependent on the roster and the coaching situation

The good thing is - I don’t think Brady could be more motivated at the minute - the challenge of a depleted WR corpse, Rodgers getting All-Pro/mvp despite Brady having better numbers and the fact that this is probably his last year

I have been saying it all year that he is retiring. I listen to every word that guy says and it is clear to me something has shifted this year- in one of the Jim Gray podcasts he pretty much says he gets no enjoyment out of winning anymore and he was playing for others.

100% if he wins the SB -
he is retired

50/50 if they don’t win the SB but fully dependent on the roster and the coaching situation

The good thing is - I don’t think Brady could be more motivated at the minute - the challenge of a depleted WR corpse, Rodgers getting All-Pro/mvp despite Brady having better numbers and the fact that this is probably his last year
wonder what changed. these last few years he seemed like he wanted to play until his late 40’s. but the way he’s spoke recently sounds like this or next year is his last

Option A: Bucs win the SB, Brady comes back for 3 in a row.

Option B: Bucs win the SB, Brady retires into the sunset after the greatest career in professional sports history.

Option C: Bucs lose, Brady is motivated to come back for another run.

Option D: Bucs lose, Brady retires into the sunset after the greatest career in professional sports history.

We shall see
I think that B is sorta debatable. 8 titles in 22 years isn't as great as 11 in 13 to some people, even in an easier sport to dominate like basketball.

All their D players came back. They have nobody really out there.
Well, now, but I'm talking over the year. JPP, Barrett, David, several others, especially their DBs, have all been injured this year.

wonder what changed. these last few years he seemed like he wanted to play until his late 40’s. but the way he’s spoke recently sounds like this or next year is his last
If I had to guess part of it is probably because he won the super bowl in year one in Tampa Bay and pretty much achieved every goal he had leaving New England. Also I would not discount the pandemic as a potential reason for him to want to walk away sooner that way he doesn't have to keep getting shots to play football. Pretty much the same reason I think Rodgers is going to walk away too either this year or next year.

When you say they have a lot of Free agents on offense....who?
AB is already gone. Besides him:

Chris Godwin - the only way to keep him is tag him a 2nd time for more than last year. The torn ACL won’t hurt his market based on Bud Dupree fa
Gronk - he’ll only play with tom but will he play for 10 million again?
Ryan Jensen - probably a 10+ million player
Alex Cappa - similar
Leonard Fournette & Ronald Jones - rbs can be replaced

That doesn’t get into defense & their #1 CB as a fa either. Not sure how appealing Evans & Gronk as his top two targets will be to him.

Last edited:
I don't think Brady's decisions would be driven by the team. With the cap going up they can use Saints tricks to push out cap hits and retain talent. This will be a very talented team and top contender again next year if Brady stays.

For Brady it's all about family. Giselle clearly wants him to retire. I'd still be surprised, win or lose, if he retires this year. I see him playing to his goal of 45. Wickersham is a bit early - remember he was saying Brady wanted out back in 2017 and it took another two years for it to happen. He probably has some kind of insight into Brady's camp so this isn't coming from nowhere.

Gronk needs one more season to cement his overall stats as the GOATTE.

Brady & Gronk need only 10 TDs (thru WC game) to break Peyton-Harrison's most TDs (114) by a QB-receiver duo.

In March 2016 Peyton said: ""I think many records will be broken -- most of my records will be broken -- I don't believe that record that me and Marvin have of throwing the most touchdowns together will ever be broken."

They'll both be back for the 2022 season.

If I had to guess part of it is probably because he won the super bowl in year one in Tampa Bay and pretty much achieved every goal he had leaving New England. Also I would not discount the pandemic as a potential reason for him to want to walk away sooner that way he doesn't have to keep getting shots to play football. Pretty much the same reason I think Rodgers is going to walk away too either this year or next year.
Rodgers doesn't need to take shots. He's been immunized. :)

Looks like Gronk would like to play with Burrow. He's a FA in March. Does he go to Cinci if they'll have him?

I think Brady's all done with Tampa Bay and based on Gronk's comments on playing with a quarterback not in a Tampa Bay uniform he looks to be done there too. The only scenario I see both of them coming back is in SF. This is assuming SF moves on from Garoppolo and is not ready to start the Lance era. This is complicated because Brady remains under contract with Tampa Bay for the '22 season so he would either need an outright release or a trade to SF. From Tampa Bay's side of things I don't see how they could justify any scenario of Brady landing in SF especially if they believe they have the roster (with another QB) to contend for another SB. But perhaps they could be enticed by an overwhelming trade offer from SF. I think SF would be a desirable landing spot for Brady and the final piece they need to truly contend for a SB. Gronk is a free agent so he could sign with SF. He and Kittle would be extremely fun to watch. Ultimately I'm putting a 25% chance of this coming to fruition.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back