PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bo Ruud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouse Patriot

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Was just thinking about this kid as my mind started to wander towards next season. Did anybody see him in college or even high school? Barrett is doing really well down in Tampa and being a Linebacker runs in the family for the Ruud's I guess so it got me thinking if we could have another potential good linebacker to go with Mayo and Guyton?

Obviously the NFL's a whole new world as Gholston found out but like I say, just started to wonder about Bo and reading up on him is pretty positive.

I think he was pretty much practice squad fodder for the season before he was placed on IR. The Ruud's do have an excellent pedigree though and if he's anything like his brother then he will be a beast on this team (should be be promoted).

The reports on him basically said he was a tackling machine who had an instinctive knack of being where the ball was. Like I say I haven't really seen the kid but I will try to find some stuff. Might be a bit of a sleeper.

Since I'm a Nebraska fan, I hope he makes it. With that said I think it's a good sign that he was placed on IR (i believe with a phantom injury) instead of being released....it means they probably see potential there and want to see if he develops. We should know a lot after TC provided he stays healthy. He's got the smarts, now let's see if he can put it together.

He needed to bulk up for the NE 3-4. My own theory was he was drafted as a STer who was decent in coverage at NE and might develop into a Nickel LB...but he does have the frame to build on, hopefully Woicik & Nash had a lot of fun working with him.

He needed to bulk up for the NE 3-4. My own theory was he was drafted as a STer who was decent in coverage at NE and might develop into a Nickel LB...but he does have the frame to build on, hopefully Woicik & Nash had a lot of fun working with him.

My thoughts too. I watched him play at the end of training camp. I thought he looked a bit thin for our ILB. Needs more sand in his pants, as they say. That's what off-season is for.

He reminds me of his bro. My friend is a Buccaneers fan and said Barrett started the same way. He started as a practice squad guy, went to special teams, and then just made his way into the starting roster.

Between Rudd, Redd, and Crabel, they should be able to find at least one player. Guyton already seems to have some cred, and Woods wasn't bad filling for AD. IMO, this LB corps is well on it's way , once everyone is healthy.

Between Rudd, Redd, and Crabel, they should be able to find at least one player. Guyton already seems to have some cred, and Woods wasn't bad filling for AD. IMO, this LB corps is well on it's way , once everyone is healthy.

Yeah. This past year was a good draft and free agency for rookie linebackers. I still wouldn't be suprised, though, if we used an early pick on one.

He didn't impress me much in preseason games. Seemed okay on ST. I thought he was going to get cut until he got hurt in the last game. We'll see how he bounces back after a year.

Rudd is going to have an easier time he is similar to guyton who was effective as he played LB in college.so the transition was not drastic one .On the other hand redd and crabel have the tougher transition to learn to play a OLB position that asks a lot to take on tackles ,cover RB and TE in the flats.

If they stick around it will happen , dean peas last year on an interview did say that woods is a good speed rushers but have to still develop his reads to break rush and drop .He seemed to be coming around before his jaw injury.He was always tackling the FB ,RB and TE in the flat and was developing this skill. I have hopes for Woods as coming from AD that woods is the most atheletic of all LB i believe he has a good future.
People have selective memory as even though we say the defence held favre to 3rd and 15 and could not do the job we fail to mention oh yeah woods came off the edge and dropped favre leading that .

Last edited:
Rudd is going to have an easier time as like guyton who struggled in full time but was effective played LB in college.so the transition was not drastic.On the other hand redd and crabel have the tougher transition to learn to play a OLB position that asks a lot to take on tackles ,cover RB and TE in the flats.

If they stick around it will happen , dean peas last year on an interview did say that woods is a good speed rushers but have to still develop his reads to break rush and drop .He seemed to be coming around before his jaw injury.He was always tackling the FB ,RB and TE in the flat and was developing this skill. I have hopes for Woods as coming from AD that woods is the most atheletic of all LB i believe he has a good future.
People have selective memory as even though we say the defence held favre to 3rd and 15 and could not do the job we fail to mention oh yeah woods came off the edge and dropped favre leading that .

Hard as that post was to read, I don't share your optimisim about Woods.

Rudd is going to have an easier time as like guyton who struggled in full time but was effective played LB in college.so the transition was not drastic.On the other hand redd and crabel have the tougher transition to learn to play a OLB position that asks a lot to take on tackles ,cover RB and TE in the flats.

I like the pool of young LBs on this roster, Ruud and Woods included. Barring any potential complications with his jaw, I want to see Woods signed to a long term contract over tendering him an RFA offer.

There are 3 LBs on my short list for this draft: Barwin (Cincinnati), Sintim (Virginia), and Norwood (South Carolina). I like Barwin to train with Vrabel, I think he could be a very fine 3-4 OLB (not to mention being a #3 TE and STs ace). Sintim could probably come in and take some OLB reps in 2009 since he already plays a 3-4 OLB for VA, but I'd like to try him at SILB alongside Mayo. Norwood hasn't decided whether to enter the draft or not, but if he does, I really want him for SILB - I think he could develop into another Bruschi. There is a 4th LB, but I expect Curry to be gone in the Top 10.

Last edited:

Nor do I; I'll never forget him allowing Ahmad Bradshaw to out-"wanna" that fumble recovery from him.

As for lil' Bo (not a peep) Ruud, he didn't carry even a draftable grade by anyone, at any time, before the draft. Gary Guyton, who was a far more highly-regarded prospect, has become our 6th-round LB from that draft. I would have taken SS Josh Barrett, C Steven Justice, OL - and Bentley College's own - Mackenzy Bernadeau, FS Chris Horton, or LB Erin Henderson instead. By this time next year, Ruud will have been forgotten, just like '07 waste Oscar Lua, whom the FO chose ahead of servicable ILB & STer Brandon Siler.

In addition, I still feel that Cliff Avril would've been a better choice than Chicken Legs Crable. Heck, the FO should've used one of its 4th-rounders or its 5th-rounder in '06 to draft Mark Anderson, who I feel that - based on his post-season workouts - could have transitioned to 3-4 OLB, and would have represented very good value at that point.

You can through Darrel Robertson in this group as well. He was prettly well reguarded pre-draft but saw his stock dip and wason the PS for the last half of the year. Signed a future contract so BB must see some upside.

why ?.
He is on his 3rd year and lets compare with our starting OLB on their 3rd year
Vrabel - 1 Sack , No tackles ,No game started
AD - 3 Sacks , 52 tackles,12 game started
woods - 1Sack,35 tackles , 3 game started

i have no idea how you projected ? as i cannot with the above stat.

He is the only OLB BB has developed who actually started and did not get shredded by the running on his side even without Ty Warren sometimes on his side - AKA tully bunta cain. He covers FB and RB and does a decent job .He does not match up against TE but non our OLB do .

question...

when we had ted johnson and bruschi, who was the strong ILB, and who the weak ILB?

1) Ruud was heading to the Practive Squad before he went to IR. He could make the squad, but I expect that he is a long-shot.

2) Woods is an RFA who is capable of starting in this league. I expect us to given him a 2nd tier tender ($2.2M) or a 3rd tier tender ($1.55M). If we lose him we will get at a 1st (unlikely) or a second (possible) which we could use in this draft. He can start and is worht at least the $1.55M as a backup while others like Crable or a new draftee develop. Alternatively, we could try to sign Woods to a long-term deal.

question...

when we had ted johnson and bruschi, who was the strong ILB, and who the weak ILB?
SILB = TJ, WILB = Tedy

I think Woods does a good enough job right now as a backup OLB. I don't see us ever going in to a season with him as a starter, but once a pro-bowl caliber player goes down to injury, most teams don't have pro-bowl caliber players waiting to step in. He should be fairly cheap and knows the system. Classic Pats backup, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes