PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

blue horseshoe loves gabe carimi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
He could be the pick at #28....

Great blocker, great attitude, hard nosed player. Kind of like matt light on steroids, taller, faster, etc.

There's an interesting group with Damini, Sherrod, Costanza, Solder. This would be a good opportunity to replace Light. Then re-sign Mankins and draft either Wisniewski or Pouncey and we have almost a rebuilt, young, OL with the two new ones, Mankins and Vollmer.

I'd like to see where these four grade out compared to Saffold last year who went at #33, I'd like to think anyone we're taking at #17 would be clearly above his ranking at draft time last year.

Yeah but I think Saffold was clearly underrated. Kind of like Vollmer was underrated. Do those drafts over and they're both 1st round tackles. The nice thing about this year's draft is the sheer depth in OL particularly OT. So this could be a real good year for the Pats to draft a stud bookend.

I think Carimi would be a great RT but is going to be overdrafted by somebody as a LT.

It appears this kid is a monster.

Would he work out at guard?

Hard to believe someone that size has the footwork for LT.

Anyone know if Mankins can be franchised?

Last edited:
It appears this kid is a monster.

Would he work out at guard?

Hard to believe someone that size has the footwork for LT.

Anyone know if Mankins can be franchised?

He's too tall to be a guard. If he fails at LT, he's a RT. And as long as there is a franchise tag, it can be used on Mankins.

He's too tall to be a guard. If he fails at LT, he's a RT. And as long as there is a franchise tag, it can be used on Mankins.

What is the max height for guard?

I always thought was more a function of height/weight vs just height.

Also, is it projected that this kid has the footwork for tackle?

He saw some action at guard at practice yesterday and today, but his angles just aren't right. Not a great fit for him, initially at least.

When I see him play. I see a Right Tackle or even a Guard if we were to have a little philosophy switch up front. This does'nt seem to be a great draft to find your blue chip LT prospect. Knowing how well Vollmer can play at LT really helps allot. We might be able to take a chance on someone who does'nt fit the prototype but who can play. AKA get lucky. We are looking for more talent on the offensive line at this point not just one position.

He saw some action at guard at practice yesterday and today, but his angles just aren't right. Not a great fit for him, initially at least.

Did he just look ill suited or was it a function of never playing guard?

It's obvious that there is reason for this. Does this mean scouts doubt his feet or is this a function of the player wanting to display flexibility?

Our resident Saint's fan brought up the point that Payton likes his line to be LT in college. That does have a certain logic.

I don't get the idea of moving a guy who stands 6' 7 1/8" 315 lbs. with 35 1/4" arms to guard. That's essentially Sebastian Vollmer's frame, only with much longer arms! Move Carimi inside and his natural physical advantages turn into liabilities.

Carimi's a right tackle all the way, IMO. I think he's likely to be a very good one, but his lack of versatility has to factor into the value equation.

Our resident Saint's fan brought up the point that Payton likes his line to be LT in college. That does have a certain logic.

That's clearly true with Belichick, too, but the normal approach is a Mankins: take an athletic, aggressive but undersized LT and move him inside. That's not Gabe Carimi this year, that's somebody like Danny Watkins.

One of the OTs that would be a good guard fit is Boling out of Georgia. He should last until late 2nd to 4th Round.

I'm more interested in re-signing Light to a cap friendly backloaded 2-3 year deal...and drafting a beast like Ben Ijalana somewhere in the 2nd round and letting him develop for a year or so. Then he or Vollmer takes over for Light when ready.

Did he just look ill suited or was it a function of never playing guard?

It's obvious that there is reason for this. Does this mean scouts doubt his feet or is this a function of the player wanting to display flexibility?

My general impression based on posts from several on-site observers is that (A) the coaches just stuck him in at OG for whatever reason, (B) he was game to try it, and (C) he was struggling to adjust but was taking pointers well and outperformed most of the other tackles who also got moved inside for awhile.

I don't get the idea of moving a guy who stands 6' 7 1/8" 315 lbs. with 35 1/4" arms to guard. That's essentially Sebastian Vollmer's frame, only with much longer arms! Move Carimi inside and his natural physical advantages turn into liabilities.

Carimi's a right tackle all the way, IMO. I think he's likely to be a very good one, but his lack of versatility has to factor into the value equation.

That's clearly true with Belichick, too, but the normal approach is a Mankins: take an athletic, aggressive but undersized LT and move him inside. That's not Gabe Carimi this year, that's somebody like Danny Watkins.

I've been liking the reports on Watkins. Apparently, he's been working mostly at OG this week and has looked very natural there.

I've been liking the reports on Watkins. Apparently, he's been working mostly at OG this week and has looked very natural there.

Watkins needs to be a Patriot. If he's around at the Vikings' 3rd, then he should be our starting RG next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes