PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blue Cats from Detroit defeated the Chiefs

What I saw tonight was a Lions team that did not quit. They were overmatched, even with the Chiefs missing Kelce and Jones, but stayed focused.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, learned that Mahommes Magic (that side arm pass around the rushing defender was pretty damn good) is not enough - especially when receivers are dropping very catchable passes.

And we have witnessed an incredibly rare event - a good, entertaining Thursday Night football game!

Mahomes massive contract is really starting to come home to roost. You can see just how awful his young receivers are this year. They didn’t pay to keep Hartman. They didn’t pay to keep Juju. They didn’t pay to keep Hill last year. And now with Kelce getting injured, it is a pretty compromised receiving core he has.

What is interesting is Joe Burrow got paid yesterday. It actually got announced right as the game was beginning but he is going to be making 55 million per year. That is 10 million more per year than Mahomes. You know that Veach is going to have to look at his contract this off-season and add more money. At this point, Lamar, Herbert, and now Burrow are all making more money than him.

Im not an x’s and o’s guy, so What stops teams from doubling kelce and forcing these scrubs to beat them… Is it mahomes mobillity that makes it hard to do that? Do teams need a spy as well, or could you just keep him contained in the pocket by maintaining the edges?

Not going to get too excited because it's week 1 (which is weird) and they were without their best defensive player and best (non-QB) offensive player. But man do I like when the Chiefs lose, especially to an NFC opponent so it's not hurting the Patriots in any way.

1. Lions‘ receivers run crisp, efficient routes.
2. Det OL is big and physical.
3. Toney still sucks As much as he did with the Giants.

Not going to get too excited because it's week 1 (which is weird) and they were without their best defensive player and best (non-QB) offensive player. But man do I like when the Chiefs lose, especially to an NFC opponent so it's not hurting the Patriots in any way.

Yeah but defense wasn't the problem for them last night. They only allowed 14 points to the Detroit offense, which was ranked #5 in points and #4 in yards last year, and has gotten even better this year. Missing Kelce was the problem.

Yeah but defense wasn't the problem for them last night. They only allowed 14 points to the Detroit offense, which was ranked #5 in points and #4 in yards last year, and has gotten even better this year. Missing Kelce was the problem.
Detroit had a lot of self-inflicted wounds on offense. Also, the play calling was baffling at times. They were gashing the Chiefs on the ground and for some reason went away from it for stretches.

Also, that fake punt was ballsy.

They were gashing the Chiefs with the run at will.

They ran 35 times for 118 yds (3.5 y/c). Take away the three kneel downs and it was still 32 times for 121 yards (3.8 y/c).

They had a couple of big runs but most (more than 50%) of their runs gained 3 yards or less.

Lions looked like they should have run away with it. But, they certainly have potential on that offense.
And, I found myself watching Goff and thinking "I wish Mac could throw like that".
How far we've fallen.

Lions looked like they should have run away with it. But, they certainly have potential on that offense.
And, I found myself watching Goff and thinking "I wish Mac could throw like that".
How far we've fallen.
I agree. The ball comes out of his hand beautifully. He reminds me a lot of Warren Moon in that regard. Just pretty passes.

Im not an x’s and o’s guy, so What stops teams from doubling kelce and forcing these scrubs to beat them… Is it mahomes mobillity that makes it hard to do that? Do teams need a spy as well, or could you just keep him contained in the pocket by maintaining the edges?
Double Kelce = man coverage. So, Mahomes can run/buy time to find the open man. Play zone and Kelce will just sit in those soft spots.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back