PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blog: Viva La Bam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bostonian1962 said:
Dave, was that 350 degrees 45 minutes, or 375 for 30 minutes???
LOL! 375 for 30 sounds good.

Re: Childress to the Practice Squad

Phokus said:
makes no sense, he should be given a chance to be a #3 receiver at least.

It makes no sense to you maybe, but it makes perfect sense to our coaches. Frankly, our opinions do not matter. It would seem that BB felt he must have a solid P/K returner for this game so he brought in Smith. He has the right to do that he is the coach after all.

shmessy said:
I honestly can't remember ever being so excited about a Practice Squad signing!
Ditto :rofl:

He's such an easy guy to root for. He's been thrown to alot in the preseason, and no matter what string it was against, he still has to catch the ball. I'm sure I might have missed it, but I don't remember him dropping any catchable balls and he mixed in some great catches.

I'm just glad he's back with us; he seems to have a great work ethic, and he seems to be able to make plays. Great combination.

jaychamp said:
Ditto :rofl:

He's such an easy guy to root for. He's been thrown to alot in the preseason, and no matter what string it was against, he still has to catch the ball. I'm sure I might have missed it, but I don't remember him dropping any catchable balls and he mixed in some great catches.
I saw one pass in the Giant game that appeared to be catchable from the cross field angle, unfortunately they didn't give you a replay from a new angle,so count it a maybe drop.

Kdo5: In addition to Mike's quote from Miguel's page, a new wrinkle just announced last week allows players like Billy Yates to spend a third year on the Practice Squad, as long as BB keeps the roster at 53. I'm not sure if this is in Billy's best interest or not, though a club like Green Bay struggling with it's OL could sign him off the Practice Squad so I guess it allows him to develop one more year.

shmessy said:
I honestly can't remember ever being so excited about a Practice Squad signing!

I agree...I just wish BB shared our enthusiasm.

Patti37 said:
I agree...I just wish BB shared our enthusiasm.
He was enthusiastic enough to re-sign him, can't ask for much more then that.

Okay Chris, in the past it has been mentioned that player's name plates were left up for guys expected to return - just which jokester mounted his name plate over the restroom? :rolleyes:

Box_O_Rocks said:
He was enthusiastic enough to re-sign him, can't ask for much more then that.

Okay Chris, in the past it has been mentioned that player's name plates were left up for guys expected to return - just which jokester mounted his name plate over the restroom? :rolleyes:

Just looking at the locker is usually a pretty good indicator of whether or not a guy will be re-signed after being cut or released or whatever. I seem to remember a similar situation a year or so ago with a linebacker named Wesley Mallard, a guy who was on the team, then he was let go and had his nameplate removed ... but his locker was still full of stuff. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on.

And whoever mentioned the fact that Bam is an easy guy to root for is spot on. He's always pleasant and affable in the locker room, and there are more than a few reporters who are hoping he sticks around.

Christopher_Price said:
Just looking at the locker is usually a pretty good indicator of whether or not a guy will be re-signed after being cut or released or whatever. I seem to remember a similar situation a year or so ago with a linebacker named Wesley Mallard, a guy who was on the team, then he was let go and had his nameplate removed ... but his locker was still full of stuff. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on.

And whoever mentioned the fact that Bam is an easy guy to root for is spot on. He's always pleasant and affable in the locker room, and there are more than a few reporters who are hoping he sticks around.
I'm always grateful when you can give us this insider's perspective, it helps relieve some of the needless angst that percolates here. :)

Mallard was a jag free agent, a much different situation from Childress. Hank Poteat or Chad Brown (even more) would be closer to the Mallard situation.

It is interesting just how much everyone likes Childress. You'd think he was Sean Morey!

The fact is that they didn't clean out his locker because they believed that the other THIRTY ONE teams would agree that Childress wasn't ready to on the 53 man roster of ANY TEAM this year. In addition, the patriots think the Childress has enough potential to participate in practice each week.

Box_O_Rocks said:
just which jokester mounted his name plate over the restroom? :rolleyes:

Same guy as has been passing stories about Maroney's injuries to ESPN? ;)

mgteich said:
Mallard was a jag free agent, a much different situation from Childress. Hank Poteat or Chad Brown (even more) would be closer to the Mallard situation.

It is interesting just how much everyone likes Childress. You'd think he was Sean Morey!

The fact is that they didn't clean out his locker because they believed that the other THIRTY ONE teams would agree that Childress wasn't ready to on the 53 man roster of ANY TEAM this year. In addition, the patriots think the Childress has enough potential to participate in practice each week.

MG,

Understood--Wesley Mallard's situation as a player was much different than Childress. But I think you're missing my point here. The only reason I bring up the Mallard situation was not to draw parallels to their situation as free agents--or even players in general--but to suggest that it was clear Childress was returning because ALL of his personal effects were left in his locker, much like Mallard's situation. When Hank Poteat was cut, his locker was cleaned out. Bare. Empty. In that case, it's easy to see that he's been cut loose--or at least, he isn't coming back any time soon. But when a guy has been cut and all his stuff--including a cell phone--still remains in his locker, again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he may still be hanging around.

And thanks for the kind words, Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick