PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills TE Tommy Sweeney diagnosed with Myocarditis, caused by covid-19.

That's unfortunate. I'm certainly curious to find out a few years from now what the studies reveal about the long-term effects from this. 60-minutes did a feature Sunday night on what they've already seen from "long-haulers", as in people who 6-8 months later are still dealing with the aftermath of this. That was pretty eye-opening.

The clotting appears to be one of the other big issues and fingers crossed we don't see a young player suffer a stroke or any other serious results from it, although there have already been a couple of players who have been hospitalized and have suffered serious consequences from it. Either way, best wishes to all of them...it's just another example that you never know how it will affect someone but it will be a long time before we really know the full damage this whole mess will really do to people long-term, unfortunately :(

relatively normal, and relatively benign in the the long term (for those that are generally healthy) reaction to a viral infection.....think of it as similar to an enlarged spleen post Mono

what is there to disagree about? yes, it can be a consequence of COVID 19, a viral infection, but it also hits 3.1 million people a year as a result of other viral infections

for most healthy patients it goes away in 4-8 weeks, some receive treatment......it is rare that it results in long term weakening of the heart, usually in patients that are not as healthy or when it is not caught in time

not sure what to disagree with here - this is what it is - most people that have had a case probably have some degree of swelling of the heart, it is part of the body's immuno response to viral infection.....\

what is there to disagree about? yes, it can be a consequence of COVID 19, a viral infection, but it also hits 3.1 million people a year as a result of other viral infections

for most healthy patients it goes away in 4-8 weeks, some receive treatment......it is rare that it results in long term weakening of the heart, usually in patients that are not as healthy or when it is not caught in time

not sure what to disagree with here - this is what it is - most people that have had a case probably have some degree of swelling of the heart, it is part of the body's immuno response to viral infection.....\
While I agree with part of your premise, I think it's a little early to dismiss it as non-concerning until we see what the long-term effects really are. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of years before we really know for sure and while I hope you're correct, I fall into the "wait and see" category before just dismissing it in hopes that ends up being the case.

Last edited:
While I agree with part of your premise, I think it's a little early to dismiss it as non-concerning until we see what the long-term effects really are. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of years before we really know for sure and while I hope you're correct, I fall in the "wait and see" category before just dismissing it in hopes that ends up being the case.
There are going to be Netflix docs a plenty to watch in 2025....... we’ll be like “if only DRs & scientists had known THIS” so many times...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are going to be Netflix docs a plenty to watch in 2025....... we’ll be like “if only DRs & scientists had known THIS” so many times...
Exactly. Time will ultimately be what answers these questions and definitely hope no one here, or your loved ones/friends are affected.

It's not so much "disagreement" as much as annoyance with some people's insistence on downplaying one of the worst societal crises in generations. There's no difference between what you're saying now and the people (such as Brady) who were all over the place in March and April saying "it's just the flu".

Some of these things are factually accurate, but when the framing is that there's not actually something to worry about, it's dangerous and ought to be called out.

i don't disagree with either of you, and have never downplayed any of this....with some, the long term effects are an issue.......but the myocarditis is pretty standard fair post-viral infection.....the issue is if it had long term effects on the heart, and that will bear watching

with most patients post viral-infection, when caught in time, the myocarditis tends to go away with no long term effects.....i suspect that will be the case here, but time will tell

Reactions: Ian
relatively normal, and relatively benign in the the long term (for those that are generally healthy) reaction to a viral infection.....think of it as similar to an enlarged spleen post Mono

"Relatively benign"is a relative term. It may be 'relatively benign' for you or yours to have an enlarged spleen or suffer myocarditis but I can tell you with no small amount of certainty, some of us feel differently. It's not unlike the definition of 'minor' surgery in that regard. Minor surgery is a procedure you or yours has, if it's happening to me or mine I can assure you there's nothing minor about it :evil:

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
have had an enlarged spleen post mono - was relatively benign

i'm sure there's quite a few folks here who have had mild myocarditis post viral-infection and not even known it......as it is more common than you'd think

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back