Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Willie Mac also still denying he faked the injury in Indy. Said he came in on the fourth play after, would have come right back in if he had faked it.

Willie McGinest on USC Celebrity, Snoop's Days in Long Beach, and His Best Career Win (Ep. 253)

Great listen, this is painful but Willie Mac said Troy Brown was injured and would have otherwise covered the kickoff lane that Desmond Howard ran that kickoff back on..I mean we still won five super bowls but **** lol.

Belichick also talked about this in Education of a Coach. Except, Belichick's story (iirc) was that Parcells kept Troy Brown off the 45 man roster for SB36 -- not due to Troy being injured -- but because Parcells wanted to use to use that roster spot on a backup player at another position (can't remember). Anyway, Belichick tried to point out that Troy Brown's impact on special teams was far greater than simply having depth at another position, but Parcells didn't listen and the rest is history.

I thought it was a good interview by Simmons

Sometime i can't stand Bill Simmons because he just tries to relate everything to basketball. He also has this thing of when a Boston is good, he'll be negative on them. I don't view him as a knowledgable sports fan, maybe one that just likes rumors

Great listen, this is painful but Willie Mac said Troy Brown was injured and would have otherwise covered the kickoff lane that Desmond Howard ran that kickoff back on.

Am I mistaken or hasn't this been common knowledge for some time? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I've been in my own universe without realizing it, but for curiosity's sake....

Am I mistaken or hasn't this been common knowledge for some time? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I've been in my own universe without realizing it, but for curiosity's sake....
I've never heard it, but I'm only 25.

Belichick also talked about this in Education of a Coach. Except, Belichick's story (iirc) was that Parcells kept Troy Brown off the 45 man roster for SB36 -- not due to Troy being injured -- but because Parcells wanted to use to use that roster spot on a backup player at another position (can't remember). Anyway, Belichick tried to point out that Troy Brown's impact on special teams was far greater than simply having depth at another position, but Parcells didn't listen and the rest is history.

Hot take alert: Parcells is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history, whose success came from getting credit for the work of his assistants - mostly (but not exclusively) Belichick.

I thought it was a good interview by Simmons

Sometime i can't stand Bill Simmons because he just tries to relate everything to basketball. He also has this thing of when a Boston is good, he'll be negative on them. I don't view him as a knowledgable sports fan, maybe one that just likes rumors

It depends on the source, IMO. Simmons is clearly a basketball guy, that's what he knows. Re: football, he's more knowledgeable than the talking heads, but not by a lot. The one thing I'll say for him is that he has smart people around him and I do think they rub off on him, because he at least listens to them. Having Mike Lombardi around has definitely had a positive effect on his opinions.

What's the timestamp for when he talks to Willy?

Hot take alert: Parcells is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history, whose success came from getting credit for the work of his assistants - mostly (but not exclusively) Belichick.

A good coach has the smarts to hire the proper people, know who to delegate to, and know when to listen to them and when to overrule them. This was unfortunate exception, but for the most part Parcells did that quite well. Same thing with a good CEO, same thing with a good President, etc. Shouldn't have to know the nitty-gritty, but can get people who do, and knows what to do with that info. Belichick is so rare in the fact that he likes/understands the nitty-gritty and yet executes the big picture stuff quite well too.

It depends on the source, IMO. Simmons is clearly a basketball guy, that's what he knows. Re: football, he's more knowledgeable than the talking heads, but not by a lot. The one thing I'll say for him is that he has smart people around him and I do think they rub off on him, because he at least listens to them. Having Mike Lombardi around has definitely had a positive effect on his opinions.

Bill Simmons did a really bad podcast on the topic of: The 25 Greatest Patriots Wins of the Brady-Belichick Era (Ep. 245)

There were errors, and he didn't even do a quick check to make sure it was correct before he did the podcast. It was bad. He got some dates and games wrong.

I thought I saw Troy being held on that return

Gotta give him credit for hiring good people. Noo emoticon - I'm serious. That puts him in like the top 5% or whatever.

I remember a couple years ago when he was still on E!SPN he had Trent Difler patiently explain to him that sacks are often on the QB, not the o-line. Next monday on his guess the line podcast with Cousin Sal he wants a three team tease because a team I forget will lose because they have an awful line and give up sacks.

Yes he is a good basketball analyst. :)

A good coach has the smarts to hire the proper people, know who to delegate to, and know when to listen to them and when to overrule them. This was unfortunate exception, but for the most part Parcells did that quite well. Same thing with a good CEO, same thing with a good President, etc. Shouldn't have to know the nitty-gritty, but can get people who do, and knows what to do with that info. Belichick is so rare in the fact that he likes/understands the nitty-gritty and yet executes the big picture stuff quite well too.

I'm not trying to pick a nit but I think BB was already with the Giants when Tuna was brought in. One of the myths that we often hear is that BB is a part of the Tuna 'coaching tree' but the truth is that BB and Tuna are branches of the Ray Perkins tree.

Bill Simmons will be OK with me if only for the fact that he long ago publicly, and correctly, identified Glen Ordway as a fraud. Kudos to him for that alone. He also earlier on than most others called out his employer at the time, ESPN, for its anti-NE bias.

Bill Simmons will be OK with me if only for the fact that he long ago publicly, and correctly, identified Glen Ordway as a fraud. Kudos to him for that alone. He also earlier on than most others called out his employer at the time, ESPN, for its anti-NE bias.

Ordway is definitely an ignorant blowhard, but I'm curious how he is a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft