PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 TE/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
TE/PTP Thread.

Mayer is cemented in at TE1 but I like others before him (Goedert, Freiermuth) he's not Gronk or baby Gronk. He's still really F'n good though. I wouldn't draft him in the top 10-15 but again he's really really good. I want to see Mayer's testing. I've heard #'s but I want to see how he performs.

Fantastic physique that could handle a little more weight if necessary. He's got a classic build/frame with good functional power but could be better.

Decent blocker with good hands that provide a punch, decent technique but could definitely improve. He loses the consistency battle which you'll see in most top flight TE. They're just not used to that fight from snap to whistle but he plays with good leverage and hands which is half the battle minus effort (which he has)

Good body control and ability to catch through contact but a little clunky transitioning from a catch point to runner. Very tough in 50/50 situations though. Between the routes he runs, defenses knowing hes getting the ball. He's always catching through contact. All eyes are on him at all times. So he's used to making big plays with bodies around him. That offense looks to him in high leverage situations (money downs, red zone) and I suspect that'll continue next level.

Not the most versatile route runner I doubt he'll challenge defenses down field but he's very good in short/intermediate areas. He could be a security blanket bc of the routes he does run. Shows good awareness finding his spots, down & distance, on the sidelines.

Sufficient quickness and speed but not overwhelming. He won't run away or with the best athletes next level but hes a tough cover from release, catch point and after the catch. He's good getting off press but will have to improve off the line. His hands definitely help. More impressed with his effort, toughness and ability to make big plays in key situations. Lots of fight, attitude and focus. Very much a locker room guy you can depend on to carry the message, show up every day etc

If I'm looking for a TE to develop or a pair of TE to start in the near future, this is the draft for you. T1A, Nice group to choose from if I'm looking to spend a top 50-100 pick.

UG has three of the top 10 TE in the country and the best one will be out next year. Bowers movements are incredible.

ND has done a great job developing the position but Iowa is a cut above LaPorta and Lachey both NFL material. LaPorta will be a top 64 pick.

Tier 1A
Michael Mayer - 6'5/260 - Notre Dame

Darnell Washington - 6'7/265 Georgia

Sam LaPorta - 6'4/250 - Iowa

Brenton Strange - 6'3/250 - PSU

Isaac Rex - 6'6/250 - BYU

Jaheim Bell - 6'3/230 - South Carolina

Arik Gilbert - 6'5/250 - Georgia

Tier 1B
Keaton Upshaw - 6'6/245 - Kentucky

Daniel Barker - 6'4/250 - MSU

Joel Wilson - 6'4/250 - Central Michigan

Cameron Latu - 6'5/250 - Alabama

Erick All - 6'4/245 - Michigan

Tier 2
Zack Kuntz - 6'8/245 - Old Dominion

Luke Lachey - 6'6/250 - Iowa

Dalton Kincaid - 6'4/240 - Utah

Benjamin Yurosek - 6'5/235 - Stanford

Josh Whyle - 6'6/245 - Cincinnati

Davis Allen - 6'6/250 - Clemson

Joshua Simon - 6'5/240 - Western Kentucky

Dallin Holker - 6'5/225 - BYU

Blake Whiteheart - 6'4/240 - Wake Forest

Luke Musgrave - 6'6/250 - Oregon St

Cade Stover - 6'4/225 - OSU

Baylor Cupp - 6'7/245 - Texas Tech

Clay Cundiff - 6'3/245 - Wisconsin

Brant Kuithe - 6'2/230 - Utah

Maliq Carr - 6'5/245 - MSU

Tier 3
Corey Dyches - 6'2/220 - Maryland

Payne Durham - 6'5/255 - Purdue

Kamari Morales - 6'2/245 - North Carolina

Brevyn Spann-Ford - 6'7/270 - Minnesota

Theo Johnson - 6'6/255 - PSU

Will Mallory - 6'5/245 - Miami / 6’5”, 245

Rivaldo Fairweather - 6'5/245 - FIU

Leonard Taylor - 6'5/250 - Cincinnati

Lincoln Sefcik - 6'3/235 - South Alabama

Kemari Averette - 6'6/260 - Bethune-Cookman

Deyunkrea Lewis - 6'3/240 - Troy

Austin Stogner - 6'6/250 - South Carolina

Kemore Gamble - 6'4/245 - UCF

Cameron McDonald - 6'4/240 - FSU

Trey Knox - 6'5/245 - Arkansas

Tier 4
Marshon Ford - 6'2/240 - Louisville

Keon Zipperer - 6'3/240 - Florida

Ben Sims - 6'4/250 - Baylor

Malcolm Epps - 6'6/245 - USC

Jacob Warren - 6'6/245 - Tennessee

Tyrick James - 6'2/245 - Tulane

Griffin Hebert - 6'3/230 - LA-Tech

I think the really interesting tight end prospect from South Dakota got hurt a few weeks ago.

Must admit my favourite so far is Darnel Washington of Georgia !

Must admit my favourite so far is Darnel Washington of Georgia !
I love Washington. So much potential between his blocking and size/frame. Him and BB could be special. Gilbert is just sitting there too. What a loaded roster lol.

I would guess that Washington will be gone before BB would be prepared to consider drafting a TE !!

Erick All left Michigan. I don’t know what’s up with him. Does anyone? He flashes next level talent.

I would love to draft Mayer. But I am not willing to trade up. If anything, we should consider trading down. We have so many holes.

This guy is our potential replacement on the Jonnu Smith failure.

TE/PTP Thread.

Mayer is cemented in at TE1 but I like others before him (Goedert, Freiermuth) he's not Gronk or baby Gronk. He's still really F'n good though. I wouldn't draft him in the top 10-15 but again he's really really good. I want to see Mayer's testing. I've heard #'s but I want to see how he performs.

Fantastic physique that could handle a little more weight if necessary. He's got a classic build/frame with good functional power but could be better.

Decent blocker with good hands that provide a punch, decent technique but could definitely improve. He loses the consistency battle which you'll see in most top flight TE. They're just not used to that fight from snap to whistle but he plays with good leverage and hands which is half the battle minus effort (which he has)

Good body control and ability to catch through contact but a little clunky transitioning from a catch point to runner. Very tough in 50/50 situations though. Between the routes he runs, defenses knowing hes getting the ball. He's always catching through contact. All eyes are on him at all times. So he's used to making big plays with bodies around him. That offense looks to him in high leverage situations (money downs, red zone) and I suspect that'll continue next level.

Not the most versatile route runner I doubt he'll challenge defenses down field but he's very good in short/intermediate areas. He could be a security blanket bc of the routes he does run. Shows good awareness finding his spots, down & distance, on the sidelines.

Sufficient quickness and speed but not overwhelming. He won't run away or with the best athletes next level but hes a tough cover from release, catch point and after the catch. He's good getting off press but will have to improve off the line. His hands definitely help. More impressed with his effort, toughness and ability to make big plays in key situations. Lots of fight, attitude and focus. Very much a locker room guy you can depend on to carry the message, show up every day etc

If I'm looking for a TE to develop or a pair of TE to start in the near future, this is the draft for you. T1A, Nice group to choose from if I'm looking to spend a top 50-100 pick.

UG has three of the top 10 TE in the country and the best one will be out next year. Bowers movements are incredible.

ND has done a great job developing the position but Iowa is a cut above LaPorta and Lachey both NFL material. LaPorta will be a top 64 pick.

Tier 1A
Michael Mayer - 6'5/260 - Notre Dame

Darnell Washington - 6'7/265 Georgia

Sam LaPorta - 6'4/250 - Iowa

Brenton Strange - 6'3/250 - PSU

Isaac Rex - 6'6/250 - BYU

Jaheim Bell - 6'3/230 - South Carolina

Arik Gilbert - 6'5/250 - Georgia

Tier 1B
Keaton Upshaw - 6'6/245 - Kentucky

Daniel Barker - 6'4/250 - MSU

Joel Wilson - 6'4/250 - Central Michigan

Cameron Latu - 6'5/250 - Alabama

Erick All - 6'4/245 - Michigan

Tier 2
Zack Kuntz - 6'8/245 - Old Dominion

Luke Lachey - 6'6/250 - Iowa

Dalton Kincaid - 6'4/240 - Utah

Benjamin Yurosek - 6'5/235 - Stanford

Josh Whyle - 6'6/245 - Cincinnati

Davis Allen - 6'6/250 - Clemson

Joshua Simon - 6'5/240 - Western Kentucky

Dallin Holker - 6'5/225 - BYU

Blake Whiteheart - 6'4/240 - Wake Forest

Luke Musgrave - 6'6/250 - Oregon St

Cade Stover - 6'4/225 - OSU

Baylor Cupp - 6'7/245 - Texas Tech

Clay Cundiff - 6'3/245 - Wisconsin

Brant Kuithe - 6'2/230 - Utah

Maliq Carr - 6'5/245 - MSU

Tier 3
Corey Dyches - 6'2/220 - Maryland

Payne Durham - 6'5/255 - Purdue

Kamari Morales - 6'2/245 - North Carolina

Brevyn Spann-Ford - 6'7/270 - Minnesota

Theo Johnson - 6'6/255 - PSU

Will Mallory - 6'5/245 - Miami / 6’5”, 245

Rivaldo Fairweather - 6'5/245 - FIU

Leonard Taylor - 6'5/250 - Cincinnati

Lincoln Sefcik - 6'3/235 - South Alabama

Kemari Averette - 6'6/260 - Bethune-Cookman

Deyunkrea Lewis - 6'3/240 - Troy

Austin Stogner - 6'6/250 - South Carolina

Kemore Gamble - 6'4/245 - UCF

Cameron McDonald - 6'4/240 - FSU

Trey Knox - 6'5/245 - Arkansas

Tier 4
Marshon Ford - 6'2/240 - Louisville

Keon Zipperer - 6'3/240 - Florida

Ben Sims - 6'4/250 - Baylor

Malcolm Epps - 6'6/245 - USC

Jacob Warren - 6'6/245 - Tennessee

Tyrick James - 6'2/245 - Tulane

Griffin Hebert - 6'3/230 - LA-Tech

Pretty spot on about Mayer. Top 10 TE potential but his blocking is still an issue and isn't the most versatile or explosive guy. Still a safe choice if you really need a TE. I'm probably passing at 14 but he's a really good prospect.

Pretty spot on about Mayer. Top 10 TE potential but his blocking is still an issue and isn't the most versatile or explosive guy. Still a safe choice if you really need a TE. I'm probably passing at 14 but he's a really good prospect.

according to PFF Mayer had the second highest run block grade last season in the power 5

I will admit to having a very shallow perspective but I just can't get away from Georgia TE Darnell Washington. He is struggling with an ankle injury at the moment so we may not see him in the college football final...pity.

IF BB is shopping for the groceries on Draft day anyone is possible... We need a Legit playmaker at TE I am not opposed.

If Jordan Addison is available at 14, bb needs to take him!

If bb needs a tight end later in the draft, kuntz of old dominion is an interesting guy. In 2021 he had a bunch of catches and yards. In 2022, he hurt his knee early in the season. If he runs well, this is a developmental kind of guy that could contribute a tiny bit in year 1, but become a real contributor after a year!

I have a serious man crush on TE Brock Bowers Georgie he has IMPACT player written all over him. IF the Pats Scouting staff can't see that I'm done!

C'mon BaconG we can't pass we have nobody on Offense who keeps DC's up at night you have to pull the trigger here. This is a Team who made Cole Strange a First Rounder C'mon nobody saw that coming.
kind GIF

C'mon BaconG we can't pass we have nobody on Offense who keeps DC's up at night you have to pull the trigger here. This is a Team who made Cole Strange a First Rounder C'mon nobody saw that coming.
kind GIF
Lol yup I'm just about to post on a few WR I'm either in love with for us or what we need in the main

I really want to see Washington 40 split times more than anything else, looks like it takes him some time to get going but once he does, he looks really smooth, also his catch radius is ridiculous. He reminds me of Marty B a bit with his size and weight.

Ya know, as long as we address either LT, WR or CB with our first pick, then I wouldn't object to using our next pick on Darnell Washington but ONLY on Washington; no other TEs need apply... Our next two picks should still be able to find value in the other two positions.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back