PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best special team plays in Patriot history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats had at least 5 more important plays in the 2001 playoffs alone. This wouldn't even be top 20 under Belichick

The first play that came to my mind was the Troy Brown / Antwan Harris blocked FG return for TD in the 2001 AFCCG.

For more recent fans its hard to understand where we as a fan base were then. We had not ever won anything, had suffered through many horrific years (1-15 anyone?), and were huge underdogs to the mighty Steelers with their storied history and multiple SB victories. NO ONE gave us a chance, and I think even us as Pats fans were hoping for the best in that game, but not expecting much.

When that play happened, there was a big mental shift. I believe it changed the score from 14-3 to 21-3, and with that, we realized that we could win that game, and the AFC, and so on --- a turning point in the history of the franchise.

I submit non-ironically that this is one of the greatest special teams plays in Franchise history.

The Colts do something very unusual. No one on defense panics. They organize in front of our eyes, diagnose the formation, rearranged the formation remembering training that probably happened only one day during training camp. In the end, they knew what was going on more than the Colts did.

I truly believe that this is one of Belichick's favorite plays. It's everything they preach organizationally condensed into one play.

What makes this better is that you can see Belichick standing on the sideline next to the sideref observing his team throughout that diagnosing process.

Then there was Chung in wk-4 of 2010 blocking a FG and a punt against the Fins (both of which led to Pats TDs), and later getting a 51-yard pick-six.

Brandon Tate's 97 yd return against Cinci is notable. That stutter step them explodes right through the heart of the Bengals. Please excuse the music, can't find any other version on youtube. Miss him returning kicks....

I forget that he is still around, I liked him a lot when he was here. He is something like 8th in Yards per return for the Patriots on kickoffs, weirdly enough Blount is #1 with 29.1 yards per return on 17 returns.

When was the last time the Patriots had a kickoff/punt return against them?

I'm not sure if this is the last time, but the Eagles blocked a punt and returned it for a TD right before the half in 2015 (a play that shifted the game).

That’s great lewis

i say that’s the best special teams play. Or top four at least ever. Opinions?

It's not even Lewis' best KO return for a TD.

Many of these are correct and are better plays. I got that blindness that happens when you see something great like this. I start thinking it was the best ever without thinking it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes