PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals Sign Stanley Morgan

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Think he has much left in the tank?

Well if they are signing him then the Pats can definitely sign Tony Franklin.

You mean to tell me that we could have signed Stanley Morgan and avoided the whole AB drama? Aye Caramba!

(PS - was it Stanley Morgan who drove into the wall of the Callahan Tunnel? Can't remember if it was him or another Pats receiver back in the day).

You mean to tell me that we could have signed Stanley Morgan and avoided the whole AB drama? Aye Caramba!

(PS - was it Stanley Morgan who drove into the wall of the Callahan Tunnel? Can't remember if it was him or another Pats receiver back in the day).

I don't remember either, but sounds like something Fryar would have done.

Edit: I got the crash part right at least - SCOUTING; Fryar's Mistake With a Receiver

Related?:rolleyes:o_O:eek:

I don't remember either, but sounds like something Fryar would have done.
You're right - I think it was Fryar. He played at the same time as Stanley Morgan if I recall correctly, but the has the out-of-control one!

I found the info below on Wikipedia and a few other places. I must be remembering the incident in Foxboro:

"Fryar has had several off-field incidents during and after his career. In 1986, he missed the AFC championship game after injuring his hand in a domestic dispute with his pregnant wife.[3] He was arrested in 1988 on weapons charges after a New Jersey state trooper found a loaded shotgun and handgun and a hunting knife in Fryar's car.[4]

On November 23, 1986, Fryar separated his shoulder during a game against the Buffalo Bills. Instead of watching the rest of the game from the sidelines, Fryar left the stadium and was listening to the game while driving his car through Foxboro. He crashed into a tree and suffered a slight concussion.[5]

His wife filed for divorce in 2014 after 29 years of marriage.[6] They have four children.[7]

On August 7, 2015, Fryar and his mother, Allene McGhee, were found guilty of conspiring to defraud six banks and a mortgage company by a New Jersey Superior Court jury. The prosecution maintained that Fryar and McGhee conspired with real estate consultant William Barksdale in a scheme to fraudulently obtain six home-equity loans totaling about $850,000 in November and December 2009, and a $414,000 mortgage in October 2009, using McGhee's home as collateral in each instance. Fryar and McGhee maintain they were victims of Barksdale, who is serving a 20-month sentence in federal prison for conspiracy to commit wire fraud for his role in the scheme, and plan to appeal.[8]

Fryar's son, Londen, was signed by the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2009 out of Western Michigan University. He did not play in a regular season game, and was waived in 2010.[9] He played for the Mönchengladbach Mavericks of the German Football League in 2011.

On October 2, 2015 Pro Football Talk reported that Fryar and his mother were convicted of mortgage fraud. Fryar will receive a five-year prison sentence while his mother will receive probation. According to the New Jersey AG who oversaw the case, John Hoffman, "The fact that Fryar had the means to succeed and do good things and instead chose this criminal path makes his actions all the more reprehensible".[10]

On December 7, 2015 a NJ Judge handed up an order that Irving Fryar and his mother to pay $615,600 in restitution to five lending institutions that were cheated in a mortgage scam. Fryar and his mother, Allene McGhee, were convicted of applying for multiple mortgage loans in quick succession while using the same property as collateral. Fryar was sentenced in October to five years in prison while his mother received three years of probation.[11] In June 2016 Fryar was released from prison after serving 8 months of his sentence. He was placed under the state's Supervision Program for non-violent offenders. [12]"

I didn't know (or probably forgot) that he went to jail.

I thought it was Stephan Starring.

It messes with my head that Stanley Morgan, jr isn’t related to our Stanley Morgan. And Reggie White, jr. isn’t related to that Reggie White.

For the duration of their pro careers I need them to change their names to Stan Morgan and Reginald White.

Irving Fryar. Only the second wide receiver in the history of the NFL to be chosen with the number one pick in the draft. Ah, the good old days of the New England Patriots.

Irving Fryar. Only the second wide receiver in the history of the NFL to be chosen with the number one pick in the draft. Ah, the good old days of the New England Patriots.
He also didn't hit the wall in the Callahan.

He DID roll his car on Route 1, after leaving a game at halftime with a separated shoulder, however.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back