PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick relaxes in the off-season

I think Dan wetzel is in BB's 'inner circle' . He seems to routinely have decent BB articles and BB also seems to give him one on one's sometimes.

Careful Brian. Bill is a spy for Navy.

... by acting as a coaching consultant at Notre Dame.

Brian Kelly asked Bill Belichick to dissect Notre Dame football | SI Wire

(How can you not love him?) :rocker::rocker::rocker:

(EDIT: Idiot posted wrong link -- sorry.)

The guy eats, sleeps, drinks New England Patriot football for most of the 52 weeks in a year. So what does he do with what little non New England Patriot time he has? Go consult at a college football program. Is there a HC/GM in the NFL that is so steeped in the business of football? Maybe there is but I'd bet it's a mighty small list.

I read a quote from BB the other day regarding his happiness with the Patriots. In the back of my mind I keep thinking BB will hang it up the next couple years. Who knows, maybe with the next SB win, maybe in sync with TB hanging it up. However, if you believe what he said in this interview, sounds like BB is doing exactly what he wants to be doing and is going to be coaching here for some time to come.

BB is an incredibly lucky man, a very rare kind of lucky. He's someone who loves and is passionate about something that he gets to wake up to every day which has led to incredible professional and personal success. And given that I am a follower of and spend a not insignificant amount of time and energy following the Patriots, I'm fortunate to get to be the fan of the man and the organization he runs.

The guy eats, sleeps, drinks New England Patriot football for most of the 52 weeks in a year. So what does he do with what little non New England Patriot time he has? Go consult at a college football program. Is there a HC/GM in the NFL that is so steeped in the business of football? Maybe there is but I'd bet it's a mighty small list.

I read a quote from BB the other day regarding his happiness with the Patriots. In the back of my mind I keep thinking BB will hang it up the next couple years. Who knows, maybe with the next SB win, maybe in sync with TB hanging it up. However, if you believe what he said in this interview, sounds like BB is doing exactly what he wants to be doing and is going to be coaching here for some time to come.

BB is an incredibly lucky man, a very rare kind of lucky. He's someone who loves and is passionate about something that he gets to wake up to every day which has led to incredible professional and personal success. And given that I am a follower of and spend a not insignificant amount of time and energy following the Patriots, I'm fortunate to get to be the fan of the man and the organization he runs.

I've got to admit that I find BB endlessly fascinating. (My dream job would be ghosting his autobiography.)

He handled the events of this off-season with amazing strength and dignity -- I can't express how much I admire it. If they didn't kill his appetite and confidence in what he's doing, you can assume that they are pretty robust.

Well said.

I would add that, in my opinion, a LOT of who he is today is a direct result of his father. Bringing the young Bill into work and teaching him how to break down film, seeing coaching up close and personal, had to have an amazingly insightful impact upon his development as both a person and a coach.

In addition, his father was part of a very select group who both played in the NFL and who went on to College-level coaching. Especially, in this case, where it takes a special set of skills to be selected for coaching at the US Naval Academy.

BB, and Brady for that matter, are close to being able to set NFL records that may never be broken. Why not go for it?

Yes, BB's family background is important. I mean, there are lot of OCD-type kids out there, but a lot more of them are the sons of maths professors than football coaches.

What's amazing about BB is that he combines very different traits. He doesn't mind things being repeated time after time -- typically conservative, control-freak personality in that way -- but he also embraces the novelty and uncertainty of football. That's why his job suits him so well and he can keep on doing it year after year. (If he weren't a football coach, my guess is that he'd be an amazing poker player.)

Yes, BB's family background is important. I mean, there are lot of OCD-type kids out there, but a lot more of them are the sons of maths professors than football coaches.

What's amazing about BB is that he combines very different traits. He doesn't mind things being repeated time after time -- typically conservative, control-freak personality in that way -- but he also embraces the novelty and uncertainty of football. That's why his job suits him so well and he can keep on doing it year after year. (If he weren't a football coach, my guess is that he'd be an amazing poker player.)

Damn, that was pretty much the exact premise of my Common App essay (except about myself, not BB). If Wesleyan didn't reject me, I'd be convinced I'm on the way to be his successor...

Damn, that was pretty much the exact premise of my Common App essay (except about myself, not BB). If Wesleyan didn't reject me, I'd be convinced I'm on the way to be his successor...

Well, you'll know then that BB doesn't let a little thing like everyone disagreeing with him or even getting fired put him off if he knows he's right. Hang in there!

Wonder how many Notre Dame players BB will be drafting next year??

This is good stuff...

"Bloody good" post! On top of the sentiments you expressed here, there's another aspect to BB's approach that I've long admired and which I've rarely seen lauded: he virtually never denigrates anyone he works or competes with. He goes out of his way to find things to like and admire about those both on his team and on the opposition. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've heard him say anything about anyone that is anything but respectful. Even with Mangini/NJRats, we all know there was a lot involved there, but aside from the peculiar "Hug-gate" scenario, BB kept it very professional. I love that about him, and I love the way his players - off the field, of course - follow his lead. To me it's just the right way to be in professional life, but all too often you see and hear how many people don't get it. Especially galling from the allegedly saintly Dungy and Tomlinson types.

I'm sure there are cynical types who may see this as only reflecting a calculation on his part, but I choose to believe it runs a lot deeper. I think his respect for others in the game is based on what he knows from observing his Dad and the countless un-celebrated people who play, coach, scout, train, help the injured, and work behind the scenes to make the game to which he's devoted his life as great as it is.

there's another aspect to BB's approach that I've long admired and which I've rarely seen lauded: he virtually never denigrates anyone he works or competes with.

I was very struck by a story from the time that Saban started coaching Miami.

That was, of course, a huge story, given the long-standing relationship between BB and Saban. BB had been interviewed and he'd talked about the time when he "worked with Nick Saban". A reporter gave the quote back to Saban and he picked up that BB had said he'd worked "with" BB, not "for" him, and how much that meant.

BB is the ultimate centralizer and concentrator of authority, but it's not through any neediness or attention-seeking on his part. (In contrast with at least one boss all of us have had!)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back