PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB is a great coach, but he is absolutely the worst interview in sports. Particularly after a loss. He has these things he doesn't comment on. The past, the future, contracts, football, other teams, our team, injuries, game plans, you name it. Ask him a question, you get an answer that makes it sound like he wasn't even listening.

It's no wonder everyone outside NE hates this team. Well, that and we keep winning.

BB is a great coach, but he is absolutely the worst interview in sports. Particularly after a loss. He has these things he doesn't comment on. The past, the future, contracts, football, other teams, our team, injuries, game plans, you name it. Ask him a question, you get an answer that makes it sound like he wasn't even listening.

It's no wonder everyone outside NE hates this team. Well, that and we keep winning.

Personally, I have no use for a coach who is a good interview after a loss.

The salary cap era? What's that 20 years? Ok, they are the greatest dynasty in the past 20 years.

It's funny, I've used the same argument against Walsh when people have overpraised him. The guy had Joe Montana.

A few years ago, people were saying some of the same things about Shanahan, then Elway retired.

I'm not saying BB isn't the greatest big game coach ever, I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin. A lot of people don't realize the significance and how lucky and rare it was to be able to keep the coaching staff intact for three all Super Bowl runs. To me, he hasn't looked like a genius over the past two post seasons, in fact, the "defensive genius" let up 32 second half points on Sunday.

The salary cap/Free Agency era dates to 1993 (we're at the start of year 14.) The cap was instituted as a counterbalance to Free Agency, which the NFLPA won the right to in 1992. The theory was that the competitive balance of the league would be out of whack in favor of large market teams, if FA just went unabated. Unspoken in the League's assumptions, was that it was the owners who would end up with razor thin margins, if they were allowed to pay players anything to compete. It would become a spend-to-win proposition.

The Pats are not so much the "greatest dynasty since the Cap." It's more that any cap era dynasty has to be considered a greater achievement than the equivalent in pre-cap teams. Since the purchase of talent is a more egalitarian proposition (everyone can spend to the same limit,) the pre-cap "dynasties" come with asterisks, whether or not it is fair, since nobody limited their spending or raided their personnel. The team that drafted you could negotiate with you, nobody else, unless your team gave them the right to by selling you or trading you. So the small market teams of Green Bay and Pittsburgh were able to establish dynasties in the past -- but the personnel did not change over like NE's did from 2001 to 2004.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents