PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BackDraft!! Building The Perfect SuperBeast, Version 8.0!!

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Greetings, Fellow FootBall Fiends!! May this find you all very well!

Dry Run Time!! This is not yet complete, but I thought I'd contribute, for once!!

I can't claim that I am "caught up" by any means ~ indeed, I've not yet once been caught up since I started writing Scouting Reports at a bumbling level back in 2011, but I'm at least catching up. I've got the Top 100 of most Positions ~ sort of ~ written up, with the exceptions of CenterFielders, CornerBacks, and Slot Corners plus some Strays.

These I intend to recommence writing soon, and to dig deeper into the Depths of all Roles, over the course of May, before cranking out my official BackDraft on Memorial Day WeekEnd, which I've suggested as being the unofficial Due Date for these.

For those who aren't as obsessed with Brothers Max, Reamer, I, and others: I've recently added the BackDraft to my Lexicon and hoped ~ with some and hopefully increasing Success ~ to persuade others to join in the Fun. The Idea is simple: Mock Drafts are definitely lots of fun, but I personally find far greater Satisfaction in producing my BackDraft after we know when Prospects will actually be available.

I don't speculate when Prospect might be available, as Mock Drafts do.

I produce the BackDraft based on knowing when they're available.

We of course wouldn't have that Knowledge in Real Life, but I'ave found, nevertheless, that general expectations of when Prospects will be available usually prove to be accurate, therefore no enormous Advantage is afforded those'f us who make BackDrafts.

And we certainly aren't afforded access to the Inside Information ~ InterViews and Back Door Information that every Team's NetWork of Scouts digs out and keeps for their respective Teams ~ that these Teams have to their Advantage, over Fans.

So me, I consider it Even Stephen, more'r less.

Anyway: This is just a Dry Run, because I haven't scouted out as deeply as I intend to do by Memorial Day, but it's where I'm at now, and I absolutely love the Process, as we all do, and love to share my Perspective with y'all, as we all do, so here's my current Perspective on the Patriots's OffSeason Moves, what I'd've done, and a preliminary Mock Draft:

01 ~ I absolutely hated the Brandin Cooks Trade. For one thing: He's a SlotBack. Julian Edelman is arguably the greatest SlotBack on the Planet when it matters ~ in the Winter ~ and while I'm the Planet's hugest Fan of doubling down on Players whose composite Talents can provide a diabolically dramatic Advantage...I don't consider SlotBack that kind of Role.

2nd, this is a guy who squawked about not getting enough Targets after an enormous Win, when the Saints were fighting for their Lives. FootBall is a Team Sport, the last I heard, and I've got absolutely no use for the kind of Player who puts himself before the Team...And I could've sworn that Coach Belichick felt exactly the same way!!

3rd, we have, what with Christopher Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, and, should Mad Bill wake up and sign'm, Michael Floyd, an extraordinary Crew of young, talented, potential Stars...whose Development is going to be crippled by having Brandin Cooks around, gobbling up Practice Reps all Year long. What an incredibly foolish Mistake.

4th, and above all the others: What in Hell was Mad Bill thinking of, trading a 1st Round Draft Pick and giving up additional Draft Value by swapping a 3rd for a 4th, for a young Veteran who's gonna soak up at least $10,000,000 a Year out'f the Salary Cap in the very near Future, unless Mad Bill simply cuts'm loose??? That's how Dynasties are destroyed.

Hey, I gave Cooks a Top 10/SuperBeast Grade & Rank a few Years ago, when he was rated as a borderline 3rd Rounder, and he and the Saints have proven both'f us correct...But to make this Move??? Horrible, horrible Trade.

02 ~ Malcolm Butler. I've always been concerned that Butler ~ who is built like a Slot Corner, after all ~ might not hold up to the Rigors of playing as a Boundary Corner forever...But the time to Cut Bait with such High Risk Players is usually when they're up for their third Contract, not their second. Butler is entering the Prime of his Career. Pay the man. No way in Hell do I cut'm loose now, with'm entering'is Prime.

03 ~ Stephon Gilmore. Not the Move I would've made, but nevertheless a good Move. I do not approve of paying Top Dollar for CornerBacks, because I find their Value tends to be overrated, as I see things, relative to the Trench Gorillas, in who I am always happy to invest...But this is an unusual OffSeason, in that the Salary Cap is lurching violently upward...and so, consequently, is the Salary Floor. If you've got to spend a few Bucks to meet Minimums, as it were, it might's well be on Top Shelf Players entering their Primes...and Stephon Gilmore, who I gave a 1st Round Grade to, back in 2012, is most definitely that.

04 ~ Dwayne Allen. Hoo-wee. It's not the kind of Move that I necessarily would've made, but it's one that I definitely applaud. Allen's Contract may horrify many, and I can't blame'm. But I value Players differently than most. Allen hasn't racked up much Yardage in his Time, but he hasn't been deployed to do so, nor do I think that he ought to be.

Allen is a Tight End ~ not a Flex End like Aaron Hernandez but a classic Tight End like Rob Gronkowski ~ who possesses a remarkably compact Frame that is built to last...and the Power and Motor with plenty of Agility to develop into one'f the best Tight Ends in the Game, a bruising Blocker and a reliable and formidable Receiving Weapon.

And he's entering his Prime, tied up for all'f it.

His ostensibly Bloated Salary may in short order get revealed to be the startling Bargain that it already actually is.

05 ~ Martellus Bennett. Consequently, cutting loose Bennett, who looks like he's wearing out, is looking smart.

06 ~ Donta HighTower. Oy. I don't know. He's entering his Prime, and he's a great Leader with an extraordinary Mind and an excellent Motor...But he's got a Dragon's Frame, being asked to play MidFielder...That ain't natural, and I just don't know how long he's gonna last. He's already missed a lot of Snaps, and I don't see that situation improving.

07 ~ Alan Branch. Terrific Deal. Branch is 32, so there's Risk, but he's been phenomenal, the last 3 Years, in a Rotational Role, and makes the other 10 Players far, far better, when he's out there, crushing the Trenches. And you've gotta love the Price.

08 ~ Kony Ealy. Eh. Good Trade. Not a Fan of Ealy, but moving back from 64 to 72 for a 1 Year Flyer on Ealy? Not, again, what I would've done, but not a Trade that I'll squawk about. Ealy has some Talent, and it's a cheap Flyer that could pay off Big.

09 ~ Rex BurkHead. Magnificent Move. I split HalfBacks into SpeedBacks and PowerBackss because it's asinine not to, but BurkHead actually lies at that beautiful Confluence of Skill Sets where you could label'm as either...and where he exhibits the very best Aspects of both: Speed, Fluidity, and Power...and awesome Intelligence and Drive!!

Rex BurkHead is a Top Shelf Talent, capable of racking up 2000 Yards a Year as a Lead Back, were the Patriots foolish enough to take that approach...and we've got'm at classic Bargain Basement Pricing!! Woot!!

10 ~ Lawrence Guy. Not a bad Signing, but I wouldn't've bothered. There're only 63 Spots or so available, and usually better Moves to be made. Just A Guy. Sorry.

11 ~ Michael Gillislie. Meh. Solid Player, but not worth a 5th Rounder and the Money. There're far more intriguing Options at a fraction of the Price.

12 ~ LaGarrett Blount. He ain't one'f'm. A PowerBack with marginal Power ~ though he's improved ~ and with mediocre Blocking Skills and lousy Catching Skills, going on 30??

13 ~ Nate "Universal" Solder. I don't care for Tall Tackles. Solder's a Tall Tackle, but held in generally good Regard around the League, as indeed he should be, because he's remarkably agile for such a Towering Tackle, whose high Center of Gravity imposes on'm a Leverage Liability when battling in The Trenches. I want to draft his Replacement this Year.

14 ~ Trade Marcus Cannon, though. He just had a BreakOut Year, so he can probably fetch a 3rd Rounder and Change in an Offensive Tackle-starved Market. He played well under Coach Dante, but he's too big for my tastes. I want Tanks, not Cannons. Haw.

15 ~ Sign RT Ricky Wagner. Hell, yeah. Kid's poised for Stardom, and Dante would seal it.

16 ~ Sign OG Kelvin Beachum. Again: Star Potential. He thinks that he's a Tackle, but he's mistaken. I'd pay'm just as much as the Dog Ass Jets're paying'm to play Tackle, slap'm around a little, and then introduce'm to Coach Dante. Voila!! A Star Is Born.

17 ~ Sign OC/OG Stefen Wisniewski. Not Star Potential, but a definitively superior Center who's fully established, but keeps making bad Business Decisions and ending up screwed. He'd be invaluable, because he's a strong, B+ level Starter, yet he's Dirt Cheap. He could absolutely step right in and thrive as a Center, Left Guard, or even Right Guard, and, developing under Coach Dante, could become a genuine Impact Player.

18 ~ Sign SE Michael Floyd. I don't know what happened there to cause him suddenly to lose Mad Bill's Grace at the end of the Year, but unless it's something egregious, I want'm back. He's a Top Talent who plays with extraordinary Passion and Precision when he's focused, and if that is the case, I wouldn't run'm out'f town over a Mistake or two.

19 ~ Sign Dragon End Datone Jones. A tremendous Talent but 1st Round Flop who's entering his Prime, Jones started to flash his true Potential, last Year, after burning off about 16 Pounds to drop to 270, and playing more in Space. The Vikings got'm Dirt Cheap on a 1 Year/$3,750,000 Deal. I'd insist on adding a Team Option for at least a 2nd Year.

20 ~ Sign WingBack Kyle Juszcyk!! The Miners rang'm up for 4 Years and $21,000,000, and the World stared in bemused Horror, but I'm here to tell you that I believe that Juszcyk possesses extraordinary Potential as a invaluable Dual Threat Blocker/Receiver who both Blocks and Catches at a high level, and thus offers an enormous deceptive Tactical Advantage, he's incredibly dependable, and is just entering him Prime.

21 ~ Sign WingBack Lance Kendricks. He's Dirt Cheap at 2 Years and $4,000,000, is nearly as talented as Juszcyk, and is every bit as versatile. WingBacks can line up all over the Formation, offering an enormous and deceptive Tactical Advantage if they can play effectively ~ which both these guys can!! ~ and tend to be very durable ~ Juszcyk and Kendricks have played 158 out'f a possible 160 Games!! ~ because of their compact Frames, a huge Advantage for a Team that usually plays deep into the Winter!!

22 ~ Jimmy Garoppolo. Love the Kid. Found'm before almost anyone during the 2014 Draft Season, then faded'm because of his shaky Pocket Pressure Poise. Mad Bill and his Team've done Wonders with'm, and I'd be delighted to have him leading this Team...But only when Tom Freaking Brady's wheels fall off. Therein, of course, lies the $64,000 Question.

Mad Tom is already in The Red Zone. Those who've done their Research know that the 38 Year Mark is pretty much established as End of The Line for QuarterBacks: Peyton Manning had a magnificent Year at 38, and then became the most horrifically awful QuarterBack in the History of Everything at 39. Yeah, there was a bit of a Drop Off. Brett Favre ~ this is interesting ~ had a wonderful Year at 38, sucked horribly at 39...and then actually produced a terrific Swan Song at 40...before sliding rapidly into the Abyss.

And there ain't been nobody else whose done it well, past 38.

Tom Brady will turn 40 before the 2017 Campaign begins.

And yet Brady had either the best or the second best Season of'is Career, last Year.

But that doesn't mean that he isn't about to drop off the cliff, like everyone else in the entire History of the Sport has, if they happened to last so long.

And, yet...I find myself unwilling to declare that he's not going to be able to push several magnitudes past the established Envelope...and excel for the next 3 Years.

Sure, Brady could hit The Wall in 3 Years...or 2...or 1.

Or maybe he's already had his last great Year.

But do you want to bet against him?

One must remember: The Nature of Evolution is that Men and Women keeping getting Stronger...and lasting Longer. Records are broken, and then broken again.

Also: What if we go all Kramer's Thelma & Louise Scene on SeinFeld and say The Hell With It ~ let's run this thing dry??? What if we ~ this is all predicated on the theoretical Scenario that each one'f us, theoretically, might be running the Patriots, after all ~ decide to Run'm ~ him being Tom Brady, of course ~ until the wheels fall off??

Would that actually be a Mistake in any sense of the Word??

God forbid we go 1-15...and find our next Franchise QuarterBack awaiting us at #1.

The Alternative? Watch the best FootBall Player in the History of Everything play for another Team ~ quite possibly a Team that we all hate.

Does anybody want to see Tom Brady ushered out'f town? After all he's given us??

To play on any other Team??

Funk that.

Sure, there's Risk in trading Jimmy G and riding with Old Man Tom...But there's also Risk in riding with Jimmy G and...what? Cutting Brady loose, next Year? Franchising Garappolo in the Hope of trading'm for a fraction of what we could get for'm now, when his Market is explosive?? Letting'm go for nothing but a deferred 3rd Round Comp Pick??

It's not as if we know what Jimmy G offers, based on 1 full Start.

Trade Jimmy G for all you can get for'm, and wish'm Great Success, for he's an awesome Kid, and he deserves it...And as for Tom Brady? Drop off at 40? 41? 42?

It doesn't matter.

Run that baby until the Wheels fall off or the Tank runs dry.

And then slingshot that awful 1-15 Campaign ~ unless we've already acquired The Services of The Successor ~ into the next Generation of our Dynasty.

It's actually a pretty easy Call to make, when you consider everything.

What could we get for Jimmy G? That's all speculative, of course, but I'll take a shot at it and guess that the Browns would give us a 1st, 2nd, and say a 5th Rounder for Jimmy G, and maybe a bit more from the 2018 Draft ~ another 2nd Rounder, say. From this one:

And that's a Trade that I would make, Ladies and Laddies.

OK!! Here we go!! Trades:

#12 to Planet Hoosten for #25, #57, and #89 ~ they need to pounce on some QuarterBack!!

#57, #89, and CleveLand's 2018 2nd Rounder to the Phish for #22, ~ we need to pounce!!

#64, #131, #183, and #239 to the Panthers for #80 and #100!!

If any'f that falls short, toss in the 3rd Rounder we got for Cannon!!

Please note: This, as all Mocks, is predicated on The Theoretical...As in: If We'd been Running Things...And if I'd been running things, #103 would've still been ours, and Roger Goodel would be panhandling on some random Street Corner, right about now.

22 BX Trent Watt ~ High Octane SuperFreak PassRusher and FootBall Player!!
25 OT Garrett Bolles ~ Magnificent Athlete & not Too Tall ~ All Pro Left Tackle!!
32 QB Patrick Mahomes ~ Tremendous Processing Speed, Diagnostics, + Arm!!
52 OG Dion Dawkins ~ Power & Elite Agility ~ All Pro Offensive Guard Potential!!
72 FB Cooper Kupp ~ Magnificent Route Runner & Receiver.
96 LE DeMarcus Walker ~ Average Power. Average Agility. Phenomenal Baller.
98 FB Carlos Henderson ~ Extraordinary Route Runner & Receiver.
103 PB Kareem Hunt ~ Phenomenal Power. Excellent Agility. Tremendous Receiver. 163 WB James Conner ~ PowerBack Convertible. Strong Blocker and Receiver.
175 ~ I haven't dug that deep, as yet.
200 ~ Ditto.

I look forward to your Thoughts, Ladies & Laddies...and to reading your own Mock Drafts!!

Last edited:
OTG, I don't always agree with you but I always appreciate your contributions. I always feel a bit humbled when I read this board, the depth of knowledge and research of some of you guys is astounding. Long may your contribution to the board continue.

I usually don't add names so close together but I have been thinking of adding yours to my Sig for a while Off the Grid. Honestly you are IMO the most entertaining person on this site. It is always so fun to read your stuff but you can tell the football knowledge is overflowing like a pint of fine Irish ale. I see you post these long thought out messages that go above and beyond. It really shows you care about this site and want to not just post but make content people enjoy and my gosh do we enjoy it. Whenever I see you start a thread whether I end up posting in it or not I make sure to jump in cause I HAVE to see what you said this time not knowing if I will laugh my ass off or get shown a new point of view or information I didn't know before. Usually you manage both and it seems so flawless it makes me jealous sometimes to be honest. If you suddenly left this site I think every single poster on here would agree we would be much the poorer for it and I want to make this post just to thank you for all your effort and content I have enjoyed from you over the years. It in no way can equal what you have given me and all of us but I can make a this post and gesture to show my personal appreciation.

I am permanently adding your name to my signature. Thanks for all the hard work. Hope we can drink a pint together someday!
beer.gif

Last edited:
I usually don't add names so close together but I have been thinking of adding yours to my Sig for a while Off the Grid. Honestly you are IMO the most entertaining person on this site. It is always so fun to read your stuff but you can tell the football knowledge is there. I see you post these long thought out messages that go above and beyond. It really shows you care about this site and want to not just post but make content people enjoy and my gosh do we enjoy it. Whenever I see you start a thread whether I end up posting in it or not I make sure to jump in cause I HAVE to see what you said this time not knowing if I will laugh my ass off or get shown a new point of view or information I didn't know before. Usually you manage both and it seems so flawless it makes me jealous sometimes to be honest. If you suddenly left this site I think every single poster on here would agree we would be much the poorer for it and I want to make this post just to thank you for all your effort and content I have enjoyed from you over the years. It in no way can equal what you have given me and all of us but I can make a this post and gesture to show my personal appreciation.

I am permanently adding your name to my signature. Thanks for all the hard work. Hope we can drink a pint together someday!
beer.gif

Grid is terrific and I wish he'd promote his site more here because, and it's my own fault, I don't visit his site enough, purely because I forget about it.

Grid is terrific and I wish he'd promote his site more here because, and it's my own fault, I don't visit his site enough, purely because I forget about it.

Wow i didn't even know he had a site. Could you link it please?

One thing people conveniently forget or just have no clue is that Mahomes was running for his life half the time.

It's like people don't know these kids are going to be playing with the most talented guys in the world.

Glad to see another Henderson fan. It's lonely but won't be when hes tearing up the league for years to come.

One thing people conveniently forget or just have no clue is that Mahomes was running for his life half the time.

It's like people don't know these kids are going to be playing with the most talented guys in the world.

Glad to see another Henderson fan. It's lonely but won't be when hes tearing up the league for years to come.

That's also why I didn't agree with the criticism of Jacoby Brissett. Following the draft I went and watched his available tape and he was constantly under pressure.

I'll vouch for the interesting reviews. I have this site bookmarked, and I always enjoy the spin on things that @Off The Grid brings with his perspective. Right or wrong, it's refreshing to see someone make up his own mind instead of just spewing groupthink.

Yup. Groupthink is the last thing Grid can be accused of. It's what I admire most about him.

Greetings, Fellow FootBall Fiends!! May this find you all very well!

Dry Run Time!! This is not yet complete, but I thought I'd contribute, for once!!

I can't claim that I am "caught up" by any means ~ indeed, I've not yet once been caught up since I started writing Scouting Reports at a bumbling level back in 2011, but I'm at least catching up. I've got the Top 100 of most Positions ~ sort of ~ written up, with the exceptions of CenterFielders, CornerBacks, and Slot Corners plus some Strays.

These I intend to recommence writing soon, and to dig deeper into the Depths of all Roles, over the course of May, before cranking out my official BackDraft on Memorial Day WeekEnd, which I've suggested as being the unofficial Due Date for these.

For those who aren't as obsessed with Brothers Max, Reamer, I, and others: I've recently added the BackDraft to my Lexicon and hoped ~ with some and hopefully increasing Success ~ to persuade others to join in the Fun. The Idea is simple: Mock Drafts are definitely lots of fun, but I personally find far greater Satisfaction in producing my BackDraft after we know when Prospects will actually be available.

I don't speculate when Prospect might be available, as Mock Drafts do.

I produce the BackDraft based on knowing when they're available.

We of course wouldn't have that Knowledge in Real Life, but I'ave found, nevertheless, that general expectations of when Prospects will be available usually prove to be accurate, therefore no enormous Advantage is afforded those'f us who make BackDrafts.

And we certainly aren't afforded access to the Inside Information ~ InterViews and Back Door Information that every Team's NetWork of Scouts digs out and keeps for their respective Teams ~ that these Teams have to their Advantage, over Fans.

So me, I consider it Even Stephen, more'r less.

Anyway: This is just a Dry Run, because I haven't scouted out as deeply as I intend to do by Memorial Day, but it's where I'm at now, and I absolutely love the Process, as we all do, and love to share my Perspective with y'all, as we all do, so here's my current Perspective on the Patriots's OffSeason Moves, what I'd've done, and a preliminary Mock Draft:

01 ~ I absolutely hated the Brandin Cooks Trade. For one thing: He's a SlotBack. Julian Edelman is arguably the greatest SlotBack on the Planet when it matters ~ in the Winter ~ and while I'm the Planet's hugest Fan of doubling down on Players whose composite Talents can provide a diabolically dramatic Advantage...I don't consider SlotBack that kind of Role.

2nd, this is a guy who squawked about not getting enough Targets after an enormous Win, when the Saints were fighting for their Lives. FootBall is a Team Sport, the last I heard, and I've got absolutely no use for the kind of Player who puts himself before the Team...And I could've sworn that Coach Belichick felt exactly the same way!!

3rd, we have, what with Christopher Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, and, should Mad Bill wake up and sign'm, Michael Floyd, an extraordinary Crew of young, talented, potential Stars...whose Development is going to be crippled by having Brandin Cooks around, gobbling up Practice Reps all Year long. What an incredibly foolish Mistake.

4th, and above all the others: What in Hell was Mad Bill thinking of, trading a 1st Round Draft Pick and giving up additional Draft Value by swapping a 3rd for a 4th, for a young Veteran who's gonna soak up at least $10,000,000 a Year out'f the Salary Cap in the very near Future, unless Mad Bill simply cuts'm loose??? That's how Dynasties are destroyed.

Hey, I gave Cooks a Top 10/SuperBeast Grade & Rank a few Years ago, when he was rated as a borderline 3rd Rounder, and he and the Saints have proven both'f us correct...But to make this Move??? Horrible, horrible Trade.

02 ~ Malcolm Butler. I've always been concerned that Butler ~ who is built like a Slot Corner, after all ~ might not hold up to the Rigors of playing as a Boundary Corner forever...But the time to Cut Bait with such High Risk Players is usually when they're up for their third Contract, not their second. Butler is entering the Prime of his Career. Pay the man. No way in Hell do I cut'm loose now, with'm entering'is Prime.

03 ~ Stephon Gilmore. Not the Move I would've made, but nevertheless a good Move. I do not approve of paying Top Dollar for CornerBacks, because I find their Value tends to be overrated, as I see things, relative to the Trench Gorillas, in who I am always happy to invest...But this is an unusual OffSeason, in that the Salary Cap is lurching violently upward...and so, consequently, is the Salary Floor. If you've got to spend a few Bucks to meet Minimums, as it were, it might's well be on Top Shelf Players entering their Primes...and Stephon Gilmore, who I gave a 1st Round Grade to, back in 2012, is most definitely that.

04 ~ Dwayne Allen. Hoo-wee. It's not the kind of Move that I necessarily would've made, but it's one that I definitely applaud. Allen's Contract may horrify many, and I can't blame'm. But I value Players differently than most. Allen hasn't racked up much Yardage in his Time, but he hasn't been deployed to do so, nor do I think that he ought to be.

Allen is a Tight End ~ not a Flex End like Aaron Hernandez but a classic Tight End like Rob Gronkowski ~ who possesses a remarkably compact Frame that is built to last...and the Power and Motor with plenty of Agility to develop into one'f the best Tight Ends in the Game, a bruising Blocker and a reliable and formidable Receiving Weapon.

And he's entering his Prime, tied up for all'f it.

His ostensibly Bloated Salary may in short order get revealed to be the startling Bargain that it already actually is.

05 ~ Martellus Bennett. Consequently, cutting loose Bennett, who looks like he's wearing out, is looking smart.

06 ~ Donta HighTower. Oy. I don't know. He's entering his Prime, and he's a great Leader with an extraordinary Mind and an excellent Motor...But he's got a Dragon's Frame, being asked to play MidFielder...That ain't natural, and I just don't know how long he's gonna last. He's already missed a lot of Snaps, and I don't see that situation improving.

07 ~ Alan Branch. Terrific Deal. Branch is 32, so there's Risk, but he's been phenomenal, the last 3 Years, in a Rotational Role, and makes the other 10 Players far, far better, when he's out there, crushing the Trenches. And you've gotta love the Price.

08 ~ Kony Ealy. Eh. Good Trade. Not a Fan of Ealy, but moving back from 64 to 72 for a 1 Year Flyer on Ealy? Not, again, what I would've done, but not a Trade that I'll squawk about. Ealy has some Talent, and it's a cheap Flyer that could pay off Big.

09 ~ Rex BurkHead. Magnificent Move. I split HalfBacks into SpeedBacks and PowerBackss because it's asinine not to, but BurkHead actually lies at that beautiful Confluence of Skill Sets where you could label'm as either...and where he exhibits the very best Aspects of both: Speed, Fluidity, and Power...and awesome Intelligence and Drive!!

Rex BurkHead is a Top Shelf Talent, capable of racking up 2000 Yards a Year as a Lead Back, were the Patriots foolish enough to take that approach...and we've got'm at classic Bargain Basement Pricing!! Woot!!

10 ~ Lawrence Guy. Not a bad Signing, but I wouldn't've bothered. There're only 63 Spots or so available, and usually better Moves to be made. Just A Guy. Sorry.

11 ~ Michael Gillislie. Meh. Solid Player, but not worth a 5th Rounder and the Money. There're far more intriguing Options at a fraction of the Price.

12 ~ LaGarrett Blount. He ain't one'f'm. A PowerBack with marginal Power ~ though he's improved ~ and with mediocre Blocking Skills and lousy Catching Skills, going on 30??

13 ~ Nate "Universal" Solder. I don't care for Tall Tackles. Solder's a Tall Tackle, but held in generally good Regard around the League, as indeed he should be, because he's remarkably agile for such a Towering Tackle, whose high Center of Gravity imposes on'm a Leverage Liability when battling in The Trenches. I want to draft his Replacement this Year...
I agree with almost all of these 13 takes, most especially #1, for the same reasons given here. Just a horrible, horrible decision.

Whenever I c an Off the Grid thread I'm there!! With saying that though, I cannot c Mahomes on the team. Terrific arm, WAY WAY to undisciplined for my taste n methinks he relies on his arm strength to get him out of jams.

Whenever I c an Off the Grid thread I'm there!! With saying that though, I cannot c Mahomes on the team. Terrific arm, WAY WAY to undisciplined for my taste n methinks he relies on his arm strength to get him out of jams.

On the flip side, Mahomes has gone on record saying that he doesn't mind sitting for a few years behind an established quarterback, and that he thinks the experience would ultimately make him a better QB in the long run. I appreciate that kind of forethought, since many of the players seem to act like they will become the savior of the franchise.

Agreed. But the pre-season games would be so much fun. I haven't studied him, or any of the other QBs, but Mahomes is arguably the most exciting I've watched. The ease with which he makes ridiculous throws is quite something.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back