PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arlen Spector - Comcast's Man In Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, this is ALL one has to know about why Senator Arlen Specter is bringing up this case 3 days before the Super Bowl.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...s-nothing-about-senators-inquiry-into-patrio/

(from the first comment to the article)

1. This story was all over talk radio this morning, and the hosts were generally left wondering why the Senate would possibly investigate this. Maybe I'm just too into political maneuverings (and following the money), but I doubt Specter gives half a flying crap about Spygate. However, one thing he certainly does care about is the NFL's antitrust exemption (and how it affects things like the Sunday Ticket package and NFL Network).

Now why would he care about that? In his home state you'll find an upstart cable company named Comcast - you may have heard of them - that would like their senator to pave the way for them to get in on that ST action. Oh, and they've paid Specter a whole lot of money through the years (they were his #2 supporter in 2007, of money we know about and which wasn't routed through a 3rd party Clinton-style) to look out for their interests.

So my bold prediction for this is that Specter will use 'Spygate' and the NFL's handling of the evidence (destroying it was a stupid, stupid move that left them vulnerable to this type of thing) to show that the public can't trust the NFL, and use it as an excuse to chip away at their antitrust exemption. This is all just a front to get Comcast a piece of Sunday Ticket and/or better negotiating leverage with NFL Network. Whether he's successful, it's obviously way too early to say. But make no mistake, that's what this is all about.

That is a very good point. Comcast is huge in PA and especially in Philadelphia. I could easily see Spector doing this for Comcast in retaliation for the NFL stand on the NFL network.

Wonderful point, I think that's a huge factor.

Another one not many have mentioned is that Specter has been one of the most vocal critics of illegal wiretapping during the Bush administration. I'm sure in some ways one might equate the two issues. (Not judging it one way or the other, just bringing up the fact, don't send me to the political boards :D )

I think "Eagles fan" is relatively far down on the list of reasons he would be doing this, and choosing now to do it.

Last edited:
Goodell was pretty funny about this in his presser this afternoon.

Arlen Spector.........the best senator Comcasts money can buy!!!!

What a jerk....

Spector is a doddering, senile lackey of multiple special interest groups. The man has been pure evil throughout his tenure of "service" to the government, and the sooner he kicks the bucket, the better.

Doesn't Comcast have exclusivity rights (Anti-trust, anyone?) with it's systems municipality by municipality?

Should Goodell be calling for an investigation of the Specter-Comcast alliance regarding monopolistic business?

Reason #1,000,001 to dump the crappy cable company for DirecTV or Verizon FiOS.

Reason #1,000,001 to dump the crappy cable company for DirecTV or Verizon FiOS.

Never, ever use Crapcast if you can avoid it. They and Time Warner are the two worst service comapnies in the pay TV business, and in general. I've had the misfortune of dealing with both, and have dumped them both whenever I could.

Never, ever use Crapcast if you can avoid it. They and Time Warner are the two worst service comapnies in the pay TV business, and in general. I've had the misfortune of dealing with both, and have dumped them both whenever I could.

OT I know, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Comcast, and am a longtime customer. Not being able to get Sunday Ticket ticks me off as much as the next guy, but I consider the NFL equally to blame for it.

Please. Specter is clearly a closet Pats fan who was concerned about the lack of "eff you" in the Pats recent efforts, and wanted to ensure a blowout for his team on Sunday.

There can be no other explanation for the timing.

Please. Specter is clearly a closet Pats fan who was concerned about the lack of "eff you" in the Pats recent efforts, and wanted to ensure a blowout for his team on Sunday.

There can be no other explanation for the timing.

EXACTLY !!!

But I think it's unintentional, he's too stupid to be that smart ! Trust me, I live in PA, they all think he's a moron, but a moron with connections.

Arlen Specter is a living example of yet another reason for term limits.

Spector is a doddering, senile lackey of multiple special interest groups. The man has been pure evil throughout his tenure of "service" to the government, and the sooner he kicks the bucket, the better.
He's one NFL Spectator that we all need to exSpectorate.

One good thing may come of this... if indeed the Commish is ever forced to admit that the "crime" he bashed BB for was actually widespread, I think that should be a pretty good whipping for his over-the-top handling of this spygate thing. And it would also shut Easterbrook the hell up once and for all.

but I doubt Specter gives half a flying crap about Spygate.

Me too. In fact, by now, I've heard one too many politician pretend to care about sports while speaking of Sammy Sooser, or Manny Ortiz, or that precious reference (that's unfortunately already rusty in my brain) played last week on the Mike & Mike Show where some politician totally embarassed herself talking about steroid use with incorrect baseball syntax.

Wake up everybody! This is a shakedown by a CORPORATE-OWNED SENATOR.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...hy-the-nfl-destroyed-evidence-specter-probab/

"As one observant FanHouse commenter pointed out, Comcast cable is based in Pennsylvania and has contributed a few bucks to Specter's Senate race. In fact, during the last election cycle, Comcast ponied up $101,750 to his campaign, the Senator's second largest contributor after Blank Rome LLP. So, yeah, I'd say Specter has good reason to make some noise on this issue.

But here's the thing: this has very little to do with Patriotgate and, as said observant commenter pointed out, everything to do with getting "Comcast a piece of Sunday Ticket and/or better negotiating leverage with NFL Network."

Not to mention that the Great State of Pennsylvania is home to the Stillers and the Iggles... two teams that STILL want do-overs.

Wake up everybody! This is a shakedown by a CORPORATE-OWNED SENATOR.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...hy-the-nfl-destroyed-evidence-specter-probab/

But here's the thing: this has very little to do with Patriotgate and, as said observant commenter pointed out, everything to do with getting "Comcast a piece of Sunday Ticket and/or better negotiating leverage with NFL Network."

The assumption here is just plain dumb. He could get better leverage for Comcast in ways better than spygate ... you're fishing in an empty lake.

our country is at war and the verge of a recession and this douchebag is worried about SpyGate?

honestly people, are you all voting on Tuesday?

jaheeezus.

The assumption here is just plain dumb. He could get better leverage for Comcast in ways better than spygate ... you're fishing in an empty lake.

You think this is his FIRST "fishing expedition" for Comcast?

He's been pulling their water against the NFL for a long time now now.

Lemme get this straight, F.B.N:

Comcast and the NFL have been in courts for months over access to cable rights for NFL games.

They have been locked in HEAVILY bitter PR campaigns against each other.

Specter's #2 source of campaign money is Comcast, a corporation HQ'ed in his home state.

Comcast, btw, operates as a politically granted monopoly in hundreds of jurisdictions across the United States.

Specter "just happens" to go nuclear in the press over "Spygate" 5 months AFTER the fact. This COINCIDENTALLY happens on the eve of Commissioner Goodell's annual State of the League press conference at the Super Bowl.

So you are telling us that this is all just a big coincidence and that Spector is just merely very upset at how the scandal of videotaping from a non-designated spot by a team in September should somehow necessitate the elimination of the NFL's Antitrust Exemption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore