Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
Rohan Davey

Happy 43rd birthday to Rohan Davey
Born April 14, 1978 in Clarendon, Jamaica
Patriot QB, 2002-2004; uniform #6
Pats 4th round (117th overall) selection of the 2002 draft, from LSU

Perhaps Tom Brady saw the Pats utilizing that early of a draft pick on a quarterback as a slight after he had just won the Super Bowl, and used that to fuel extra incentive and motivation for the rest of his career.

The Pats actually moved up in the draft to grab Davey, trading their 4th (131st overall) and 5th (144th) to Denver for the Broncos 117th overall draft pick. Davey appeared in garbage time in just seven games over three seasons with the Patriots, completing 8 out of 19 passes for 88 yards and no touchdowns.

In 2004 Davey did have a record setting season - while on loan to the Berlin Thunder in NFL Europe, winning the World Bowl and being named Player of the Year. However, Doug Flutie beat Davey for the backup QB position in 2005, and Matt Cassel was considered to be the better prospect as the third stringer after outperforming Davey in training camp and preseason games. The Pats released Davey on August 29, 2005.

spt-pats-10jpg-bab03efe97dca407.jpg

A month later Arizona signed Davey to be their third string QB, and he remained on the Cardinal roster throughout the '05 season. The Cardinals cut Davey at the end of the 2006 training camp, ending his NFL career. He later played in the Arena Football League, where he was able to show off his two Super Bowl rings.

11/9/2015: Q&A with Rohan Davey: Former LSU QB recalls Arkansas breakout game | nola.com

These days, Davey lives in Baton Rouge, follows the (LSU) Tigers and dabbles in different ventures. We works for Quality Concrete Company, but also has a catering business on the side that specializes in Jamaican food, he trains quarterbacks ages 8-18 and does a little coaching. He has three children: an 18-year-old daughter, Jasmine, a student at Florida A&M; a 12-year-old son, Micah, and a 10-year-old daughter, Rhaia, in grade school in Baton Rouge.

April 14 Transactions

April 14, 1970:
Pats trade TE Jim Whalen to Denver for TE Tom Beer. Whalen was arguably the best tight end of the American Football League, and a member of the Patriots 1960s All-Decade Team. Beer was misused by his coaches, who couldn't decide on whether have him gain weight and play tackle, or remain at tight end.

Jim Whalen | Fenway Park Diaries

James Francis "Jim" Whalen, Jr, grew up in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was a three-sport star at Cambridge and Latin High School, in football, baseball and ice hockey and was subsequently inducted into the Cambridge Rindge and Latin Athletic Hall of Fame.​
He was considered one of the finest pass catchers and all-around athletes to graduate from Boston College. At the time of his graduation after the 1964 season, he was the top pass receiver in Boston College history with 73 career receptions. In addition to being one of the top ends in the country, he was called upon to also punt his senior season.​
During his tenure at BC, he also lettered in baseball and ice hockey in addition to football The 1963, 1964 and 1965 BC Eagles hockey teams won the Beanpot Tournament while the 1963 and 1965 teams each reached the national Frozen Four.​
Although being recruited by teams from the National Hockey League as well as from others in Major League Baseball, Jim chose football and signed with the Boston Patriots, who had drafted him with the 23rd overall pick in 1965.​
in 1967, his 651 receiving yards was tops among all Patriot receivers and his five receiving touchdowns also topped the squad. On October 15, 1967, he tied the Patriots record of three touchdowns in a single game, during a 41-10 thrashing of the Miami Dolphins.​
In 1968 his 47 catches and seven touchdowns as a tight end, each led the AFL and ranked second among all AFL and NFL tight ends. He also piled up 718 receiving yards ranking second among AFL tight ends. His 87-yard pass reception on a against the Super Bowl Champion New York Jets was at the time, the longest play from scrimmage in Patriots history and also one of the longest by a tight end in professional football history.​
For his accomplishments, he would be accorded First Team All-Pro, marking the first time that any Patriots receiver, tight end or otherwise, would be selected First Team All-Pro.​
He had a career game high eight receptions against the Oakland Raiders on October 6, 1968. It would be over 25 years until another Patriot tight end, Ben Coates, would exceed both his receptions per scheduled game. He led the Patriots in both touchdowns and total yards from scrimmage (718) in 1968. It was the first of only two seasons in Patriots history, that a tight end would lead the club in yards from scrimmage.​
He was one of only four Patriot tight ends (Russ Francis, Ben Coates and Rob Gronkowski) to string together three consecutive seasons of 500+ yards receiving. Additionally, his Patriot career yards per reception average of 16.3 ranked first among all Patriot tight ends and sixth all-time among all Patriot receivers.​
After his playing days were over, he kept a low profile for the most part, working in contractor sales at the Danvers Home Depot.​
He had several heart attacks, lung cancer, and had been living with two completely collapsed vertebrae. Jim Whalen died on December 18, 2012 in Gloucester, after a long bout with the his health problems.​

April 14, 2003:
Pats trade Tebucky Jones to New Orleans for a 3rd (traded again), 7th (Tully Banta-Cain) and 2004 4th (Dexter Reid).

Tebucky Jones was oh-so-close to being the face of the Super Bowl 36 championship. The New Britain CT native picked up a Kurt Warner 4th down fumble and ran it back 97 yards for what would have been a game-clinching 24-3 Patriot lead. Unfortunately for him the play was negated due to a holding penalty on Willie McGinest, the Rams get a first down and score - and while the Patriots win, the hero is some other guy in his first season as a starter.

Try to put yourself in that person's shoes. Yes, 'of course I am happy that we won', but - what a life-changing moment! In just a few seconds you go from the pinnacle of possible Super Bowl MVP, to ...

Tebucky played in 72 games over five seasons with the Patriots, compiling 4 interceptions (one pick-six), 19 pass deflections, 3 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries and four tackles for a loss.

April 14, 2005
Sign free agents Hank Poteat and Jed Weaver.

Poteat was a journeyman corner who somehow managed to last ten seasons in the NFL; he played in 15 games with the Pats, mostly due to injuries on those ahead of him on the depth chart. Weaver was a TE who caught 35 passes with SF the previous year, but had just 93 yards receiving with New England in what was his final NFL season.[/i]

Tracy, Gail and other April 14 Birthdays

Happy 40th birthday to Tracy White
Born April 14, 1981 in Charleston, South Carolina
Patriot LB, 2010-2012; uniform #58

Over ten years White appeared in 136 games with five NFL teams, primarily on special teams. In early September of 2010 the Patriots acquired White and a 7th round pick from Philadelphia in exchange for a 6th round pick. White played in 42 regular season games with two starts in New England, registering 65 tackles (46 solo). He also took part in all six playoff games with the Pats in his three seasons in Foxborough.

Tracy+White+New+England+Patriots+v+Washington+GATxR9f7ubVl.jpg

On a side note, the draft pick the Pats received in the trade with Philly along with White had a very curious route. It was included in the trade that sent Randy Moss to Minnesota on October 6, 2010. (The Patriots received a 3rd round pick, 74th overall, and used it to select Ryan Mallett.) The Vikings then traded that 7th round pick to Detroit. The Lions also sent a 4th round pick in that trade to the Vikings. That 4th round pick was one of four draft picks the Vikings traded to New England in exchange for the Pats number one draft pick - used to select Cordarrelle Patterson. In exchange the Pats used draft picks on Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan and Josh Boyce. A fourth draft pick was traded again, and eventually ended up being used to land LeGarrette Blount.

White retired from the NFL after his three seasons in Foxborough. He now coaches high school football in his hometown of North Charleston, South Carolina.

800px-Tracy_White.JPG

2/2/2012: An unlikely journey: Tracy White started out in St Stephen and ended up in the Super Bowl

Throughout his career, White has earned a reputation as a solid citizen and positive influence in the locker room.​
“There’s no slacking off and there’s only one goal -- to get to the Super Bowl,” he said. “Every team has that goal to get there, but the rest of the teams ... the key is getting everyone to buy into it.”​
With little football recruiting attention coming his way at Timberland, White considered joining the U.S. Army after high school. When an Army recruiter called the house one day, White’s mom, Patricia, answered the phone and was surprised to hear of his plans.​
“She was shocked,” White said in 2004. “I was actually going to go up there and sign up later that week on Saturday. I didn’t tell her anything about it. I had a brother already in the Army. She told me to wait and finish my senior year at Timberland before I signed up and made any definite plans.”​
Good advice, because a scholarship offer from Howard came through after his senior year. There, White was a three-time all-MEAC selection and named the Black College Defensive Player of the Year in 2001.​
White hasn’t forgotten about the folks back home. Through his career, he’s worked on building a “Hope Center” in St. Stephen, a place for kids to swim and play football and basketball.​

8/13/2013: Former Patriots linebacker joins Fort D's coaching staff | WCIV

It's amazing to think, before walking into Steve LaPrad's office, White had walked out of Bill Belichick's office with the New England Patriots.​
"I ended on my terms. I wanted to get to 10 (years). Before the season, I told my parents and family it was going to be my last year. I'm happy with what I did when I played in the league. I'm ready to start a new chapter in my life," said White.​
Making the NFL was a long shot for the Timberland High and Howard University grad. Sticking for a decade in the league certainly will catch the attention of his new players.​
"I get asked 'How many years were you in the league?' How old am I? I guess they're amazed I'm retired at 32. It's a fun atmosphere here," he said.​
White loves to talk about his new career. He doesn't talk a lot about his former one, but he's quick to point out his favorite NFL memory.​
"Automatic, starting in the Super Bowl. The greatest feeling, my Super Bowl appearance. Coach Belichick gave me the opportunity to start," said White.​
The lessons he learned are now the lessons he teaches.​
"I tell them to get as much as they can. Make themselves better. Ask questions about improving things. I give everything I know, if they have questions, I'm their tool, use me if they want," he said.​

Happy 52nd birthday to Tim Roberts
Born April 14, 1969 in Atlanta
Patriot DE, 1995; uniform #94

Roberts was a 5th round choice from Southern Miss by Houston in '92. The Pats signed Roberts early in '95 after three seasons with the Oilers. He appeared in 13 games with 12 starts for New England, with 53 tackles (35 solo).

Unfortunately I am having difficulty finding much information on this former Patriot because the internet wants to either lead me to the founder of Multiplex, a University of Buffalo safety, or other namesakes.

59833-3441198Fr.jpg

Happy 70th birthday to Gail Clark
Born April 14, 1951 in Bellefontaine, Ohio
Patriot LB, 1974

As a junior at Michigan State, Clark led the Spartans in tackles and assists, forced three fumbles, broke up six passes and had one interception. After knee surgery not much was expected from him the following season. As a senior though he came through and again led the team in tackles and assists, with three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one pick.

The Lansing State Journal gives Clark an 'Honorable Mention' as one of the best players from Ohio to ever play for Michigan State.

Clark was selected in the 4th round (102nd overall) in the 1973 draft by Pittsburgh. He didn't stick with the Steelers, who were loaded at linebacker at that time. Clark landed in Chicago and appeared in 11 games with three starts for the Bears. The following season he was signed by Chuck Fairbanks and appeared in eight games for the Patriots in '74, primarily on special teams.

That was the end of Clark's NFL career, presumably ending so soon in part due to injuries. He was one of the 4500 players that was part of the NFL's Concussion Lawsuit Settlement.

Happy 22nd birthday to Dalton Keene
Born April 14, 1999 in Saint Louis
Patriot TE, 2020-; uniform #44
Pats 3rd round (101st overall) selection of the 2020 draft, from Virginia Tech

The Pats traded up to draft the Colorado native, sending two fourths and a 2021 sixth to the Jets to help fill their void at tight end. Unfortunately Keene saw little playing time due to knee a knee injury (three catches for 16 yards) and may already be on the bubble after the free agent acquisitions of Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith.

One other NFL player born on this date with a New England connection:

Shawn Regent, 58 (4/14/1963)
BC alum was a replacement center for the Raiders during the 1987 strike.

Rohan Davey

Happy 43rd birthday to Rohan Davey
Born April 14, 1978 in Clarendon, Jamaica
Patriot QB, 2002-2004; uniform #6
Pats 4th round (117th overall) selection of the 2002 draft, from LSU

Perhaps Tom Brady saw the Pats utilizing that early of a draft pick on a quarterback as a slight after he had just won the Super Bowl, and used that to fuel extra incentive and motivation for the rest of his career.

The Pats actually moved up in the draft to grab Davey, trading their 4th (131st overall) and 5th (144th) to Denver for the Broncos 117th overall draft pick. Davey appeared in garbage time in just seven games over three seasons with the Patriots, completing 8 out of 19 passes for 88 yards and no touchdowns.

In 2004 Davey did have a record setting season - while on loan to the Berlin Thunder in NFL Europe, winning the World Bowl and being named Player of the Year. However, Doug Flutie beat Davey for the backup QB position in 2005, and Matt Cassel was considered to be the better prospect as the third stringer after outperforming Davey in training camp and preseason games. The Pats released Davey on August 29, 2005.

spt-pats-10jpg-bab03efe97dca407.jpg

A month later Arizona signed Davey to be their third string QB, and he remained on the Cardinal roster throughout the '05 season. The Cardinals cut Davey at the end of the 2006 training camp, ending his NFL career. He later played in the Arena Football League, where he was able to show off his two Super Bowl rings.

11/9/2015: Q&A with Rohan Davey: Former LSU QB recalls Arkansas breakout game | nola.com

These days, Davey lives in Baton Rouge, follows the (LSU) Tigers and dabbles in different ventures. We works for Quality Concrete Company, but also has a catering business on the side that specializes in Jamaican food, he trains quarterbacks ages 8-18 and does a little coaching. He has three children: an 18-year-old daughter, Jasmine, a student at Florida A&M; a 12-year-old son, Micah, and a 10-year-old daughter, Rhaia, in grade school in Baton Rouge.

Not a good trade for Bill on a weekend with other questionable deals...Literally threw away a 5th-rounder for this guy when he just should've shown some damn patience for once (sound familiar?) and grabbed him 9 picks later at 126 if he liked him that much, then used 131 on Jarvis Green...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back