Reaction score
In their contract years
Ninkovich
Long
Sheard
Collins
Hightower
============
OBVIOUSLY, we can use a couple of EDGE rushers. After all, we won't keep all of these players.

Is there really much quality at 60 or 61, or even before pick 100?

Belichick has been great by getting value from his picks, even when folks disagree with his assessment (e.g. Harmon).

Isn't there great value at other position (DT?) and relatively little at EDGE?
========
As an aside, don't we have a similar issue at DB with Butler, Ryan and Harmon on their contact years?

I think they'll extend Sheard which would leave us Sheard, Flowers and Grissom for next year. Add a 2017 FA and a 2017 draft pick and that's not looking too bad.

As for Ryan, Butler and Harmon, isn't Butler a RFA? So there's not really a problem there. I think they draft a CB this year (Davis/Cyrus?) and I'm not sure what the plan is for Harmon. As with ILB, they just haven't looked at safeties in this draft. If they are looking for a potential Harmon replacement, Tyvis Powell or Justin Simmons make sense as potential replacements. Problem is, fitting them on the roster. We already have six safeties likely to be on the 53. Not much room to add another.

Can never have too many pass rushers. Nink isn't going to go on much longer and Long just seems to be a one year rental. We shouldn't have too many expectations of Flowers or Grissom either. Neither has shown much at all, although I have some hope with Flowers.

Add in that Sheard could, in theory, get 10m+ on the open market and may be tough for us to resign, then we should consider if there is a good DE at 60.

Yeah - if Butler plays as well this year as last (or heaven forbid he inproves further), pretty much every NFL team would go after him as that 1st round tender is so low dollar-wise. And I would not want to lose him for even a 1st rounder at this point. If the Pats need to restrict him, it might be more likely through the franchise tag rather than the RFA tender.

TIL: Hightower and Collins are EDGE Rushers and not Linebackers that sometimes rush up the middle.

How does Butler being an RFA mean that there is no problem with Butler. I don't understand, unless you believe that a low 1st rounder is adequate compensation for losing Butler.

How does Butler being an RFA mean that there is no problem with Butler. I don't understand, unless you believe that a low 1st rounder is adequate compensation for losing Butler.

Why would it be a low first rounder? It depends on the team signing him doesn't it? And yes, as the worst possible scenario, I can live with a first round pick.

Why would it be a low first rounder? It depends on the team signing him doesn't it? And yes, as the worst possible scenario, I can live with a first round pick.

Because it benefit a team to trade down before giving us their first. If a team had the 15th pick, I believe they are allowed to trade down.

Also, a team given a lesser value draft pick could "afford" more compensation, important in winning Butler's services.

But yes, I would expect someone to offer a 1st plus top money.

Because it benefit a team to trade down before giving us their first. If a team had the 15th pick, I believe they are allowed to trade down.

Also, a team given a lesser value draft pick could "afford" more compensation, important in winning Butler's services.

But yes, I would expect someone to offer a 1st plus top money.

But it's still worst case and I'd take a first as the worst of the options.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back