PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Already sick of "African American coaches" non-story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I say this? I said 12 percent of the total US population.

I made my point badly in reference to inviting people to see how many black people there are in rich neighbourhoods. If 12% of the population is African-American, then shouldn't a similar percentage (at least) be rich? Of course, that would be in the "colour blind" society that so many on here keep mentioning.

I really don't want to say much more due to the risk of being misunderstood. But, yeah, I'm sick of hearing about it.

I don't think you should hold back, even at the risk of being misunderstood.
The problem as I see it these days is that everyone wants to avoid the topic of race in this country, thinking if it ignored the problem, and there is a problem in this country, will go away.
Hence you have people saying that they are "color-blind. I don't see race". Besides being one of the most idiotic things a person can say, they should know that when people say 'I don't see color or race' a lot of blacks will interpret this as a) a bunch of BS and b) that you don't see me for who I am, and being black is a big part of that.

But I still wonder why you, and many others as I have seen similar threads on other boards, are sick of hearing about it? Why does it really bother you?

Hey you're a Steeler fan right ? You've got your black coach . . . smile :D
I am a Steelers fan. From everything I've read about Tomlin he sounds great and i am glad they didn't promote from within as I think the team needed some new blood.

Last edited:
Blacks can achieve anything they want to but too many simply don't want to.

Oh, man, you just PROVED THE DAMN POINT. By your own admission, since most blacks "simply don't want to achieve" good things in life, don't you think it's a good thing that we have 2 positive role models in the superbowl for a group of people that, according to you, simply don't want to better themselves????

While the race card is way overplayed, it still doesn't change the fact that african-americans were brought over here as slaves and didn't even win their total freedom (right to vote and ride in the front of the buses) until 50 years ago! Maybe there's a reason "they simply don't want to achieve things"? Ever think that their psychology has been hammered from the circumstances surrounding their roots in this country? As a group, they have overcome a great deal in a short time. Cut the story some slack. It shouldn't be overdone because then you get counterproductive, but it should be acknowledged and it is a POSITIVE thing. Don't be bothered by the extremists on either side.

Now I am an American and I want to see America strong. It is the people who make this country great. And, since, according to you, most blacks "simply don't want to achieve things", don't you think it just might be a good idea to have 2 black coaches represent one of america's great pastimes? I want all of America to be strong. And, traditionally, minorities have had to start out at a disadvantage lower than whites. They have had to fight harder to get where they want to get. Sure some are so downtrodden because they live in the hood and have a crap education and have to deal with gangs, drugs, and violence that they never do make it out of their viscious cycle. Ultimately, that is not an excuse, but everyone needs POSITIVE encouragement and a little help along the way. I see nothing wrong with touching on the fact that this is the first time an African American coach has made it to the superbowl. It is a good thing and if it helps a group that has traditionally had trouble "achieving things", then it can only be good for this country and for mankind as a whole.

You just made it a story by your own thoughts! You just proved that racism, even if it is much more subtle than it was 50 years ago, still exists, albiet in a more subtle tone.

In 2007, we're still at a point where young african americans can use more positive role models.

There are enough white positive role models, but not enough black ones. That's a simple fact. We can debate historical and sociological reasons why this is the case. I think some of you have already given your views. I think I disagree with many of you, but forget that debate. It is what it is. Whatever you think is the reason why we don't have enough positive black role models in America -- particularly for young men -- is irrelevant. The point is we simply just don't.

A colorblind society is the goal, and stuff like this is, I admit, a bit counterproductive. But the reality is that we are where we are. When a young white child sees George Bush or Bill Clinton, it's easier for him to imagine achieving in life than it is for a young black child. It's not impossible, of course, for black children to have white role models or vice versa, and some day, hopefully, it won't matter. But we ain't there yet, and just trying to pretend like we are doesn't do anyone any good.

And while it may be only sports, the position of head coach -- particularly in football -- is tremendously significant. He's the boss. The king of his domain. These are two black men who have achieved as much as can be acheived in their positions and who are the boss of other men.

And if this helps someone, even just a little, imagine more possibilities for him or herself, why on earth would anyone possibly be opposed to it? It's no skin of your back.

I think the point that they are good friends is also helping fuel the story.

Last edited:
Oh, man, you just PROVED THE DAMN POINT. By your own admission, since most blacks "simply don't want to achieve" good things in life, don't you think it's a good thing that we have 2 positive role models in the superbowl for a group of people that, according to you, simply don't want to better themselves????
Sure it's good. It is. But I don't want to hear about it. The question posed wasn't "Is it good that two black coaches are in the SB", it was "Are you sick of it". And I said yes I'm sick of it.

But I still wonder why you, and many others as I have seen similar threads on other boards, are sick of hearing about it? Why does it really bother you?

This is a very good question.

I understand why this is getting a big play and why the two coaches are so happy about being in the Superbowl, aside from the obvious.
When John Kennedy was elected president, I being Irish-American (and Catholic at the time), felt a special pride and acceptance. I'm not old enough to remember Al Smith and the virulent anti-Catholicism that did his candidacy in (and, incidentally, gave us Herbert Hoover), but it was felt at the time that an Irish Catholic could never be elected president. Kennedy disproved that canard just as Dungy and Smith are disproving the nonsense that has dogged them and other black coaches.

Instead of being all grumpy-pissed about it, be happy that the country has passed another milestone on the road to equality.

A colorblind society is the goal, and stuff like this is, I admit, a bit counterproductive.

I agree with your post generally but the above I vehemently disagree with. This notion that we should be 'colorblind' is a.) impossible, b.) counterproductive and c) has a little bit of a racist edge to it.

Part A. that's like saying since we as a culture still discriminate against women that we should not see sex. Is that Angelina Jolie or Don Knots? I can't tell because I don't see sex.

Part B. Whites, blacks, hispanics of all flavors, East Coast, West Coast, North, South, we all have our own sub-cultures, customs and ways we relate. Having colorblind be the goal is saying that not only do we seek to impose ignorance of our surroundings on ourselves and cease to be aware of these little differences but, and this is the more dangerous part, that we should all try and act alike so that this we are able to be colorblind. The goal isn't that we don't see color, the goal is that we see color (whther it be black, white brown, etc), recognmize it and respect it but not to make assumptions because of it.

As for part C. the word color has a lot of meaning for blacks and other minorities and many refer to themselves as a 'person of color'. So when the catchphrtase sweeping the nation is that the goal should be to be color blind some take this to mean that goal is to not recognize or even see blacks, hispanics etc.

i know it may be seen as a small thing but words have meanings and this 'colorblind' word and notion is ludicurous.

Last edited:
I agree with your post generally but the above I vehemently disagree with. This notion that we should be 'colorblind' is a.) impossible, b.) counterproductive and c) has a little bit of a racist edge to it.

Part A. that's like saying since we as a culture still discriminate against women that we should not see sex. Is that Angelina Jolie or Don Knots? I can't tell because I don't see sex.

Part B. Whites, blacks, hispanics of all flavors, East Coast, West Coast, North, South, we all have our own sub-cultures, customs and ways we relate. Having colorblind be the goal is saying that not only do we seek to impose ignorance of our surroundings on ourselves and cease to be aware of these little differences but, and this is the more dangerous part, that we should all try and act alike so that this we are able to be colorblind.

As for part C. the word color has a lot of meaning for blacks and other minorities and many refer to themselves as a 'person of color'. So when the catchphrtase sweeping the nation is that the goal should be to be color blind some take this to mean that goal is to not recognize or even see blacks, hispanics etc.

Agree that colorblind is a word that can mean different things to different people.

My point was that it would be nice to live in a world where Bill Clinton or George Bush are as much role models to black children as white, and where Tony Dungy is as much of a role model to white children as Bill Parcels.

Cataloguing achievements by one's race is counterproductive to that goal, but, as I said, at this point in our history, necessary. I don't think this kind of colorblindness is impossible by any means. It's just a long way off, but it gets closer every day when two black men are coaching in the superbowl. So celebrate it, I say.

On the last point, it seems like nitpicking to me. I can clearly see the racism inherent in terms such as "white trash," but I don't see it in the term "colorblind." The point of the term is that pink, brown, yellow, or gray shouldn't matter for certain things. I don't know that anything in my post suggested that we should not continue to celebrate all of our heritages, traditions, races and cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST