PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Why does Montana have only 10 years?

I've always ranked Staubach higher than PM. He actually participated in all four super bowls. Invented the Hail Mary. Had a normal sized head. PM invented locker T-bagging.

Longevity has to play some factor too. Unless you’d like a certain scrambling Ravens QB in the top 25. Longevity isn’t some gigantic x-factor where I’m doubling everyone’s overall score because they played twice as many seasons, but an elite quarterback like Manning or Staubach are both adding a lot of value to their teams, and it’s hard to catch up with someone who did that for twice as long. I’ve made adjustments to push Manning down and move Staubach up, but I don’t see Staubach passing Manning. Also, 10 All-Pros to 1 All-Pro. Yikes, screw the awards voters. Though he could move up as some old timers get a little less credit.

Just noticed you have Brees outside top 10. Be careful, that Saints fan is waiting for you in the parking lot.

If anyone has league wide passer rating data, please let me know. I’ve been using a formula that estimates yearly passer rating, but I’d like to have more precision. Anyone know the final 2020 number? It was 94.1 after six weeks.

The 1940 season (or anything before that) one would particularly great, or even an educated guess. I am sensing that Luckman and Baugh might be a little higher on adjusted rating than they should be.

If anyone has league wide passer rating data, please let me know. I’ve been using a formula that estimates yearly passer rating, but I’d like to have more precision. Anyone know the final 2020 number? It was 94.1 after six weeks.

The 1940 season (or anything before that) one would particularly great, or even an educated guess. I am sensing that Luckman and Baugh might be a little higher on adjusted rating than they should be.
Can you publish the median passer rating per year (assuming you have it handy)? If not i'll do the calc.

Can you publish the median passer rating per year (assuming you have it handy)? If not i'll do the calc.

The only data I have is from that article. I don’t need year-by-year (estimating the 9 years in between those checkpoints is close enough.). I just need some final number from 2020 and anything pre-1950, which is where this ends.

The only data I have is from that article. I don’t need year-by-year (estimating the 9 years in between those checkpoints is close enough.). I just need some final number from 2020 and anything pre-1950, which is where this ends.
All good.

Part wants to see what Horsehead would have for a passer rating in 1960.

All good.

Part wants to see what Horsehead would have for a passer rating in 1960.
Found the historical data on profootball reference.

Manning’s passer rating was only about 8 points above league average. Nothing outlier about it.

Echo what everyone is saying, thanks for doing this, it’s awesome.

I‘m glad Starr is rated so high, 5 championships, 9-1 in the playoffs.

I know numbers don’t lie but I would take Aikman and Elway over several QB’s rated above them.

Off topic but....THIS mutt is an azzbiter...guaranteed..

4851.jpg

Interesting idea about Young/Staubach replacing Baugh/Luckman there; Baugh/Luckman certainly might be over ranked. I think my that my tiers are built on a simple ranking of 2 different factors: winning and performance (individual). Let’s just say that each one gets an A, B, or C, so for example. This is what I get pretty consistently:

AA Tier (1-6) - Era Dominators
Brady (A+A, so he must be #1)
Montana (AA)
Unitas (AA)
Starr (AA)
Manning (AA)
Graham (AA)

There’s almost no way to push one of these guys out of you’re being consistent in your rankings. All of them dominated their eras and have no flaws on paper; it’s mostly hair splitting about A+, A, and A- stuff.

AA* Tier (7-8, or 7-15) - Pre-modern Era Dominators
Baugh (AA*)
Luckman (AA*)

They have the AA credentials, but there are a few question marks about accurate win/loss information and sometimes their role in the offense (and whether a starter sometimes.). Also question about how far away from the modern passing QB you’ll go where you’re still comparing the same thing.

AB/BA Tier (9-14, or 7-14) - Imperfect Era Dominators
Young (BA)
Staubach (AB)
Favre (BA)
Brees (BA)
Rodgers (BA)
Elway (AB)

Young and Staubach seem to get favored because they accomplished a lot with shorter careers and have less of a “missed opportunity” reputation. It’s easier to justify Young’s one title or Staubach’s one all-pro than it is to explain one title for Brees, Favre, and Rodgers or a comparatively poor statistical output by Elway.

B+B+/A-A- Tier (10-20) - Dawson’s Creek
Dawson

Dawson can swing all the way up to #10 of free fall to near #20. It depends on how much you like the higher floor or the lower ceiling and also how much you value AFL accomplishments.

AC/CA Tier (15-20) - Half Great
Marino (CA)
Tarkenton (CA)
Bradshaw (AC)
Roethlisberger (AC)
Layne (AC)

These aren’t the only players in this tier. Marino and Bradshaw are the important ones on the spreadsheet because they force me to really weight championships or awards. You can also see other BB players (Kelly) or AB/BA guys who don’t have the longevity (Wilson), but I find those five are most common. Someone like Aikman, I think, might be either a B in winning (accounting for his win pct too) or even a C- in individual performance, so he doesn’t show up here.

A lot of the changes I try to make are to account for the intra-tier rankings and not to place guys into entirely new ones. Curious to see what your ranking tiers look like...are they similar?

9D76351B-4034-4126-A1C3-0156725F6768.gif
Right now I think I'd go with these

AA Tier (1-6)
Brady (AA)
Montana (AA)
Graham (AA)
Unitas (AA)
Starr (AA)
Manning (AA)

These 6 are a lock for me right now. Brady is #1 and anyone who says otherwise is not worth wasting your breath over. I'll hear arguments over the next 5 in any order but I think it should be some order of Graham/Montana at #2 and #3. Then Starr, Unitas, Manning in some order from #4-#6.

AA Tier (?)
Baugh (AA*)
Luckman (AA*)

Like I said earlier, I personally don't/can't rank these two. As you said, there are tons of question marks about win/loss information and whether or not they started games/how much they played quarterback during certain games. If ranking these though, I agree about the 7-15 range.

AB/BA Tier
Young (BA)
Staubach (AB)
Favre (BA)
Brees (BA)
Rodgers (BA)
Elway (AB)

I lean Staubach at #7 and Young at #8. Staubach was more of a winner, but both of these guys won games and absolutely dominated as passers in relation to their peers.

The next 4 can honestly be put in any order and I don't have an issue but looking over everything right now I would order them as Rodgers, Favre, Brees, Elway. Ask me again in a week and I may have that order jumbled up.

Dawson

Agree with you here. I think he can be slotted anywhere in that range.

Marino (CA)
Tarkenton (CA)
Bradshaw (AC)
Roethlisberger (AC)
Layne (AC)

No objections here either. If I had to order these 5 right now I think I'd go

Bradshaw
Marino
Roethlisberger
Layne
Tarkenton

I could see Kelly, Wilson and Aikman in the above tier also, though Aikman may be pushing it.

Last edited:
How laborious has been pulling all this data? I know Pro Football Reference doesn't offer all this at the click of 1 button.

Regards,
Chris

Pretty laborious, to be honest. And then today I found I could copy and paste some stuff. I'm an Excel ninja (have been using it for work for years), so now that I've discovered a way to import, it should be downhill.

Who the hell is Dutch Clark and what did he do to make it to HOF after only playing 5 years.

I'm ok with Peyton as long as he doesn't medal.

I think Dutch Clark is the cousin of Cleveland Steamer.

View attachment 30879

AA Tier (1-6)
Brady (AA)
Montana (AA)
Graham (AA)
Unitas (AA)
Starr (AA)
Manning (AA)

These 6 are a lock for me right now. Brady is #1 and anyone who says otherwise is not worth wasting your breath over. I'll hear arguments over the next 5 in any order but I think it should be some order of Graham/Montana at #2 and #3. Then Starr, Unitas, Manning in some order from #4-#6.

AA Tier (?)
Baugh (AA*)
Luckman (AA*)

Like I said earlier, I personally don't/can't rank these two. As you said, there are tons of question marks about win/loss information and whether or not they started games/how much they played quarterback during certain games. If ranking these though, I agree about the 7-15 range.

AB/BA Tier
Young (BA)
Staubach (AB)
Favre (BA)
Brees (BA)
Rodgers (BA)
Elway (AB)

I lean Staubach at #7 and Young at #8. Staubach was more of a winner, but both of these guys won games and absolutely dominated as passers in relation to their peers.

The next 4 can honestly be put in any order and I don't have an issue but looking over everything right now I would order them as Rodgers, Favre, Brees, Elway. Ask me again in a week and I may have that order jumbled up.

Dawson

Agree with you here. I think he can be slotted anywhere in that range.

Marino (CA)
Tarkenton (CA)
Bradshaw (AC)
Roethlisberger (AC)
Layne (AC)

No objections here either. If I had to order these 5 right now I think I'd go

Bradshaw
Marino
Roethlisberger
Layne
Tarkenton

I could see Kelly, Wilson and Aikman in the above tier also, though Aikman may be pushing it.

Wow - that’s really awesome that our tiers match up so well, with the exception of Baugh/Luckman. I’ve tried all kinds of permutations, and yet it’s really difficult to break the tiers without melting down the rankings into a joke.

For sure, Rodgers, Favre, Elway, Brees is the most interesting cluster on the entire chart. They’re always right next to each other. There’s no very compelling argument that any of them should be first or last.

With Baugh and Luckman, the ranking system I have has most of the data. The championships and awards are established. I believe even the passer ratings aren’t in dispute. I’m wondering if I should just give both of them something like 75% of their seasons, which takes away points for Wins Added (the Franchise score) and also takes away the points for their passer rating scores (that is multiplied by seasons.) That would seem to have the same general effect as just reducing the actual winning pct or credited starts.

At what point do you find it murky with the stats? Pre-1950? I might just apply a similar rule to all these players where confirmation isn’t there.

Wow - that’s really awesome that our tiers match up so well, with the exception of Baugh/Luckman. I’ve tried all kinds of permutations, and yet it’s really difficult to break the tiers without melting down the rankings into a joke.

For sure, Rodgers, Favre, Elway, Brees is the most interesting cluster on the entire chart. They’re always right next to each other. There’s no very compelling argument that any of them should be first or last.

With Baugh and Luckman, the ranking system I have has most of the data. The championships and awards are established. I believe even the passer ratings aren’t in dispute. I’m wondering if I should just give both of them something like 75% of their seasons, which takes away points for Wins Added (the Franchise score) and also takes away the points for their passer rating scores (that is multiplied by seasons.) That would seem to have the same general effect as just reducing the actual winning pct or credited starts.

At what point do you find it murky with the stats? Pre-1950? I might just apply a similar rule to all these players where confirmation isn’t there.
Definitely. You could make good arguments as to who is the best in the tier of Rodgers, Favre, Elway, Brees.

Yeah I'd say anything pre-1950 is pretty murky. Though all of Graham's stats are there from 1946-1949 besides the obvious stuff like sacks, ANY/A, and 4QC/GWD . It seems tougher with Baugh and Luckman though. I'd love to get a hold of their win/loss record, 4QC/GWD, and games started.

View attachment 30879

AA Tier (1-6)
Brady (AA)
Montana (AA)
Graham (AA)
Unitas (AA)
Starr (AA)
Manning (AA)

It's good that you and IIB have come pretty close with your rankings. It bodes well for the system. But I have to repeat this one last time:

Without touching on anyone but Manning, I'd say that he's still rated too high. But, if you're using the argument that Baugh is being moved because of incomplete information (something I've called a "quirk" in discussions about this elsewhere, I can understand it. And, for the sake of analysis, I could convince myself that, while I still put Young ahead of Manning, one could look at Young's early years as having been wasted enough to push him below Manning in a stats-driven analysis. But, still, putting Manning over Staubach doesn't make much sense to me, and the numbers show Staubach as the one who should be slotted higher.

11 year career, 8 as a full time starter
.78 regular season win pct.
.65 postseason win pct.
2-2 SB record
6 Pro Bowls
First team 1970s All Decade Team
Top 10 in passer rating every year as a starter save 1 a/k/a 7 times
#1 or #2 in league passer rating 5 of 7 seasons as the full time starter
And a bunch of other areas (yards/attempt, etc....) where he was stronger than Manning

Manning should be #9. I can accept an argument over Young, as noted. I can even accept him over Baugh by really squinting hard and talking about quirks, as noted. But #7 is his absolute ceiling, IMO, even with squinting.* So I've said my piece on this for the last time, but thought it deserved one more push.

* And I'm not worrying this bone because I'm picking on Peyton. I'm worrying this bone because Manning's ranking has been reflective of what seems to be a general recency bias (Brees, Favre, and Rogers over Marino and Elway? Seriously?).

I was just looking up something and came across this article.

Oh my god...no. No.

What in the actual...I mean, this guy is writing about these guys like he understands football history.

This list has it all. I can assure you you’ll enjoy how each plot twist is more gruesome than the last. A patient, five minute skim/scroll is worth it here.

It's good that you and IIB have come pretty close with your rankings. It bodes well for the system. But I have to repeat this one last time:

Without touching on anyone but Manning, I'd say that he's still rated too high. But, if you're using the argument that Baugh is being moved because of incomplete information (something I've called a "quirk" in discussions about this elsewhere, I can understand it. And, for the sake of analysis, I could convince myself that, while I still put Young ahead of Manning, one could look at Young's early years as having been wasted enough to push him below Manning in a stats-driven analysis. But, still, putting Manning over Staubach doesn't make much sense to me, and the numbers show Staubach as the one who should be slotted higher.

.65 postseason win pct.
2-2 SB record
6 Pro Bowls
And a bunch of other areas (yards/attempt, etc....) where he was stronger than Manning

Manning should be #9. I can accept an argument over Young, as noted. I can even accept him over Baugh by really squinting hard and talking about quirks, as noted. But #7 is his absolute ceiling, IMO, even with squinting.* So I've said my piece on this for the last time, but thought it deserved one more push.

* And I'm not worrying this bone because I'm picking on Peyton. I'm worrying this bone because Manning's ranking has been reflective of what seems to be a general recency bias (Brees, Favre, and Rogers over Marino and Elway? Seriously?).

One issue with de-ranking Manning: he played 17 seasons. Young and Staubach combined (actual games played, not career length) for 17 seasons.

I’m working on some kind of “crunch” where the system is less beholden to career value added and can be adjusted to combine efficiency. So if Staubach did 75% as much Manning in 50% of the time, it stands to reason he’s more valuable per year.

.65 postseason win pct.
2-2 SB record
6 Pro Bowls

Let's dig into this. I just imported the passer rating from every NFL season, so that we get a precise era-adjusted score based on each season, run separately for each QB. Here are their passer ratings for each player, adjusted 100% for their era (example: Young's passer rating is 96.8; an average QB who played in the seasons he played in, would be 20.5 points lower, at 76.3.)

Young - 20.5
Staubach - 17.6
Montana - 17.5
Manning - 14.2

This is where I'm saying there's an opportunity for Manning to be de-ranked because he wasn't an outlier, and there were outliers. The problems with Young and Staubach are their shorter careers; I've tried to bridge the gap via USFL and Navy credit, and as I indicated in the last post, taking a look at what happens when we focus more on the raw efficiency instead of multiplying it by seasons played. But with Manning, the other problem is his postseason stuff isn't perfect, but there's a big volume of it, too.

On the Marino/Elway part, I can understand why it looks like recency bias, but I don't think recency bias is really what's happening here when I look at why the rankings are coming in that way. Here are the era-adjusted passer ratings:

Rodgers - 16.3
Brees - 13.3
Marino - 10.2
Favre - 6.7
Elway - 3.7

I can understand a case for Elway. He won two Super Bowls and made it to five. With the formula on there, he's basically at the top (besides Brady) along with Montana and Bradshaw for postseason points. It seems like a reasonable argument that he's a stronger overall player than Brees, Rodgers, and Favre, and perhaps his stats don't tell the entire story because he also had the legs.

With Elway, though, his case as a winner is somewhat maxed out with his postseason success because his career winning pct doesn't put him in some outlier class with the likes of Staubach, Brady, Montana, etc. Here are the overall winning percentages:

Rodgers - .66
Elway - .64
Marino - .63
Favre - .63
Brees - .60

Not a lot here to ramp up Marino either. With Marino, I've spent hours and hours searching for a hidden, missing component. And that's why I have the awards index, to look for cases like this where someone stands out and their performance isn't being picked up by the passer rating stat, winning pct, or postseason success. And the awards index does help. Without them, Marino would be lucky to be in the top 35. But the awards index stops being effective when you run into other players who also have some major accolades:

Marino - 8 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls, 1 MVP
Elway - 3 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls
Breees - 6 All-Pros, 13 Pro Bowls
Favre - 6 All-Pros, 11 Pro Bowls, 3 MVPs
Rodgers - 4 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls, 3 MVPs

I've tried to find some way to milk Marino's All-Pros, though it's arguable that is overall awards index is even the best of that group; they all have some weight in different areas, and the overall flavor is: they're all really good players, good enough that one isn't standing out head and shoulders. I've even tried creating an entirely new column to help boost Marino's score, or at least give people the option to, and it would also boost guys like Moon, based on the idea that the lack of postseason success might be a team failure, so let's award some more points. It helps, but not in a major way, and it also boosts a certain Indy/Denver loser because, when you think about it, that's exactly the guy who also has fans clamoring about "10 championships if he played in New England."

So, if you're seeing something I'm missing, I'm all open to it. I can't tell you how frustrated I've been in trying to find ways to uprank Marino and finding that there's dead ends everywhere. It has to raise the possibility that he was simply not as good as he appeared at his peak; after the 84 season, he's very good but a lot closer to Favre good; a 34 TD, 14 INT type of guy. We can start getting into some big statistical feats like touchdowns thrown, big time seasons, records, etc., but we are comparing him to other guys who have build their careers on the same type of stuff.

As for Elway, I'm thinking that perhaps another index besides passer rating (like net yards/attempt) might be able to look at him with his running stats too and perhaps find something that can boost him up (and not just him but others.) As it stands now, though, I think he's somewhere in that 10-13 range. Changing him in the intra-rankings wouldn't be that difficult to do because those guys are all within a few points. He may be ranked down there a little lower on some lists you've seen, and that, ironically, was due to an attempt to uprank Marino but putting less emphasis on titles :)

Tarkenton is the guy who can be moved up quickly based on some formula adjustments by emphasizing (a) longevity and (b) hsi era-adjusted passer rating. He can fly up the charts in the way that I had hoped Marino would be able to, but Tarkenton is an actual statistical outlier who can overcome his lack of postseason success; Marino just isn't...yet...until there's some new information that can be used.

Last edited:
Let's dig into this. I just imported the passer rating from every NFL season, so that we get a precise era-adjusted score based on each season, run separately for each QB. Here are their passer ratings for each player, adjusted 100% for their era (example: Young's passer rating is 96.8; an average QB who played in the seasons he played in, would be 20.5 points lower, at 76.3.)

Young - 20.5
Staubach - 17.6
Montana - 17.5
Manning - 14.2

This is where I'm saying there's an opportunity for Manning to be de-ranked because he wasn't an outlier, and there were outliers. The problems with Young and Staubach are their shorter careers; I've tried to bridge the gap via USFL and Navy credit, and as I indicated in the last post, taking a look at what happens when we focus more on the raw efficiency instead of multiplying it by seasons played. But with Manning, the other problem is his postseason stuff isn't perfect, but there's a big volume of it, too.

On the Marino/Elway part, I can understand why it looks like recency bias, but I don't think recency bias is really what's happening here when I look at why the rankings are coming in that way. Here are the era-adjusted passer ratings:

Rodgers - 16.3
Brees - 13.3
Marino - 10.2
Favre - 6.7
Elway - 3.7

I can understand a case for Elway. He won two Super Bowls and made it to five. With the formula on there, he's basically at the top (besides Brady) along with Montana and Bradshaw for postseason points. It seems like a reasonable argument that he's a stronger overall player than Brees, Rodgers, and Favre, and perhaps his stats don't tell the entire story because he also had the legs.

With Elway, though, his case as a winner is somewhat maxed out with his postseason success because his career winning pct doesn't put him in some outlier class with the likes of Staubach, Brady, Montana, etc. Here are the overall winning percentages:

Rodgers - .66
Elway - .64
Marino - .63
Favre - .63
Brees - .60

Not a lot here to ramp up Marino either. With Marino, I've spent hours and hours searching for a hidden, missing component. And that's why I have the awards index, to look for cases like this where someone stands out and their performance isn't being picked up by the passer rating stat, winning pct, or postseason success. And the awards index does help. Without them, Marino would be lucky to be in the top 35. But the awards index stops being effective when you run into other players who also have some major accolades:

Marino - 8 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls, 1 MVP
Elway - 3 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls
Breees - 6 All-Pros, 13 Pro Bowls
Favre - 6 All-Pros, 11 Pro Bowls, 3 MVPs
Rodgers - 4 All-Pros, 9 Pro Bowls, 3 MVPs

I've tried to find some way to milk Marino's All-Pros, though it's arguable that is overall awards index is even the best of that group; they all have some weight in different areas, and the overall flavor is: they're all really good players, good enough that one isn't standing out head and shoulders.

So, if you're seeing something I'm missing, I'm all open to it. I can't tell you how frustrated I've been in trying to find ways to uprank Marino and finding that there's dead ends everywhere. It has to raise the possibility that he was simply not as good as he appeared at his peak; after the 84 season, he's very good but a lot closer to Favre good; a 34 TD, 14 INT type of guy. We can start getting into some big statistical feats like touchdowns thrown, big time seasons, records, etc., but we are comparing him to other guys who have build their careers on the same type of stuff.

As for Elway, I'm thinking that perhaps another index besides passer rating (like net yards/attempt) might be able to look at him with his running stats too and perhaps find something that can boost him up (and not just him but others.) As it stands now, though, I think he's somewhere in that 10-13 range. Changing him in the intra-rankings wouldn't be that difficult to do because those guys are all within a few points. He may be ranked down there a little lower on some lists you've seen, and that, ironically, was due to an attempt to uprank Marino but putting less emphasis on titles :)

Tarkenton is the guy who can be moved up quickly based on some formula adjustments by emphasizing (a) longevity and (b) hsi era-adjusted passer rating. He can fly up the charts in the way that I had hoped Marino would be able to, but Tarkenton is an actual statistical outlier who can overcome his lack of postseason success; Marino just isn't...yet...until there's some new information that can be used.
That's interesting about Tarkenton. I've always had him in the 15-25ish range. I've seen some lists online that have him as high as 9-12 range. Almost all of those lists also had Marino in the top 5 so I kind of see a correlation.

It seems we're both missing something with Marino. Maybe someone that ranks him in the Top 10 can explain their reasoning.

I see you define All-Pro with both First team and Second team. I might implement that into my numbers, because I've only been using First team.

The highest I've personally ranked Elway is 9th. But right now he's in the 11-13 range for me.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back