PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoss

Rookie
Reaction score
Have a hunch the pats will trade up for Alan Branch today. Looking for a Trade with Green Bay, giving up the 1s for GB's 1 and 2. Green Bay does not want to pick Lynch, the RB that high, can get him later with the Pats #1. Pats get Branch, who considered early a top pick sliding down boards. Get their back up nose, and against running teams, LT from the SD, Pats can line up Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, and Branch. How are you going to run against that? Then take Harris/Beason/Poz, whatever LB is available with the #2 and we have a dominant front seven. Pick up your safety in round 3, maybe Weddle from Utah or Rouse from VT or Gattis from WF, and the D will be a force. My ideal scenerio.

BTW - doensn't look like Tomase has Branch in the first round of his mock. No way Branch slides out of round 1.

if any player slides like Carriker or Branch..im afraid. itd be badddd...baddd badddddddd for my likings

I can see absolutely no reason to spend a #1 pick (not to mention trading up to do it) on a DL who will spend his career sitting behind Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork, all of whom are onkly a few years older than he is.
Aside from injuries, Branch could play out his rookie contract without ever starting a game. (And by the way Jarvis Green is the 4th guy and he is young too)
Would you trade up to draft Brady Quinn, so he can sit behind Brady? This is the same thing.

I can see absolutely no reason to spend a #1 pick (not to mention trading up to do it) on a DL who will spend his career sitting behind Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork, all of whom are onkly a few years older than he is.
Aside from injuries, Branch could play out his rookie contract without ever starting a game. (And by the way Jarvis Green is the 4th guy and he is young too)
Would you trade up to draft Brady Quinn, so he can sit behind Brady? This is the same thing.

Maybe because in a few years (2008 - Warren, 2009 Wilfork 2010 Sey) there is no way we can afford to pay Seymour, Warren & Wilfork - so one must go??

I think Branch would see the field a lot more. Back up nose, key to the Pats run D. In the Red zone, line up those 4 across and running it in against the D isn't an option. Be the 4th D lineman in the rotation, give Wilfork some breathers at the nose to make him more effective in the 4th quarter, give Warren and Seymour some blows as well mixing in at D end, without much of a drop off. Insurance in case one of the front 3 gets hurt, and gives the option to swtich to 4-3 against teams. Green is a solid backup, but better on pasing downs. Think he would see the field quite a bit and add flexibliity, insurance, and another dimension to the D.

Last edited:
Have a hunch the pats will trade up for Alan Branch today. Looking for a Trade with Green Bay, giving up the 1s for GB's 1 and 2. Green Bay does not want to pick Lynch, the RB that high, can get him later with the Pats #1. Pats get Branch, who considered early a top pick sliding down boards. Get their back up nose, and against running teams, LT from the SD, Pats can line up Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, and Branch. How are you going to run against that? Then take Harris/Beason/Poz, whatever LB is available with the #2 and we have a dominant front seven. Pick up your safety in round 3, maybe Weddle from Utah or Rouse from VT or Gattis from WF, and the D will be a force. My ideal scenerio.

BTW - doensn't look like Tomase has Branch in the first round of his mock. No way Branch slides out of round 1.

They wouldn't trade up for Alan Branch. He's overrated, and might fall into their laps.

I think Branch would see the field a lot more. Back up nose, key to the Pats run D. In the Red zone, line up those 4 across and running it in against the D isn't an option. Be the 4th D lineman in the rotation, give Wilfork some breathers at the nose to make him more effective in the 4th quarter, give Warren and Seymour some blows as well mixing in at D end, without much of a drop off. Insurance in case one of the front 3 gets hurt, and gives the option to swtich to 4-3 against teams. Green is a solid backup, but better on pasing downs. Think he would see the field quite a bit and add flexibliity, insurance, and another dimension to the D.

Just dont see it.
I cant justify using a 1st on a guy who would be the 4th best player at a position we have 3 spots to play guys. Sure, he could turn out to be a good rotation guy, sure there could be injuires. But why use a #1 when THAT is the upside? Other than QB and DL and maybe RB, anyone we draft in round 1 would be starting by year 2, or 3 at worst unless they were a totla flop.
Branch could exceed expectations and still be a backup.
Plus, I dont think it is sensible to use a first round pick to draft a guy that would require you to change your defensive philosophy to find a spot to play him. (You want to draft him so BB can switch to a 4-3. Alan Branch is far from good enough for BB to throw his beliefs on defense out the window because he cant live without him)
I havent even gotten to the knocks on Branch (which are the kind the Pats usually stay away from) or the idea of trading up. Quite frankly, I wouldn't love this pick unless it was in the 3rd, and that isnt happening.

The Pats won't spend a 1st round pick on a guy who will only play in goal line situations. They'll spend a 1st round pick on somebody who can help the defense avoid goal line situations.

Drafting Branch makes absolutely no sense. The Pats won't be taking time away from Wilfork anytime soon.

Isn't Branch sliding because he has a poor work ethic and there are questions about how much he likes to play football?

Those are two things usually near the top of the Pats list of things they look for in players.

Last edited:
Isn't Branch sliding because he has a poor work ethic and there are questions about how much he likes to play football?

Those are two things usually near the top of the Pats list of things they look for in players.

No. He's sliding because there is concern that injuries in his legs may be stress fractures instead of shin splints.

Still, it doesn't make sense to bring him in for us.

I do think they would find a way to use him that doesn't involve switching to a 4-3 except on select occassions, so it would make him more of a rotation guy and situation guy. But we have seen Pats draft to strenghts before, thinking Watson, and if they think he is the best player available, only 15-18 with 1st rounds grades according to some, I could see it happening. And it would give other teams more to think aobut in switching to 3-4 and 4-3 against running teams. Looking at the SD game, I think LT could have had a much bigger game if they stuck with him. Would be a tough front to run against with Branch in there. Knock on Branch is he takes some plays off, but if he is a rotation guy, he would have some plays off and might be pretty damn good when he is in. And while I do think we have bigger needs, CB, LB, if Pats think none are worthy of a 1st round pick, and Branch is, I can still see it happening.

I do think they would find a way to use him that doesn't involve switching to a 4-3 except on select occassions, so it would make him more of a rotation guy and situation guy. But we have seen Pats draft to strenghts before, thinking Watson, and if they think he is the best player available, only 15-18 with 1st rounds grades according to some, I could see it happening. And it would give other teams more to think aobut in switching to 3-4 and 4-3 against running teams. Looking at the SD game, I think LT could have had a much bigger game if they stuck with him. Would be a tough front to run against with Branch in there. Knock on Branch is he takes some plays off, but if he is a rotation guy, he would have some plays off and might be pretty damn good when he is in. And while I do think we have bigger needs, CB, LB, if Pats think none are worthy of a 1st round pick, and Branch is, I can still see it happening.

Again, they're not going to take a 1st round guy to be a rotation guy for his entire Patriots career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST