PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 12 games with Mac: which QBs would you take right now over him?

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the scenario. Let's say that the Football Gods visit you, and make you this offer:

You can re-do the 2021 season with any QB who started a game this season as the Patriots' starter instead of Mac.

The catches are:
  1. You have to take them as they are now.
  2. You have to take them on this team, with these coaches and this offense.
  3. You have to keep them for the remainder of their current contract (with whatever outs that contract might have).
  4. It's the Football Gods, so you don't have to worry about whether or not you have the salary cap space for the QB; they'll take care of that somehow. You do, however, have to consider whether he'll take up too much salary cap space for you to sign other players in the future.
Which QBs, if any, would you take right now?

Um Trevor Lawrence. This is stupid. The team is helping Mac succeed, not the other way around. Get of the qb worship god I’m so sick of that.

Honestly, how is it that Mac beat Trevor straight up in their pre-college camp? I'm not convinced there is a huge gap between the #1 pick and the Patriots QB.....

Last edited:
Um Trevor Lawrence. This is stupid. The team is helping Mac succeed, not the other way around. Get of the qb worship god I’m so sick of that.

I don't necessarily disagree with the first part, but they are helping each other. Saying it's just the team helping him is doing mac a disservice and makes it sound like he doesn't deserve any of the credit. Which is disingenuous.

Isn't the team helping Mac succeed the whole idea here?? Doesn't seem that way in Jax...

Gasper summed it up pretty good this AM, "If Belichick is primarily responsible for the Patriots’ eminence, then that’s all Jones will ever have to be —very good, not an all-time great."

From this past draft, Trevor Lawrence for sure. He is still a superior QB playing in a bad situation. Lawrence on the Pats would be the OROY leader right now like Jones.

As of right now, I would still take at least a half dozen veteran QBs. That could change over time when we start to see what Jones' true ceiling is.

From this past draft, Trevor Lawrence for sure. He is still a superior QB playing in a bad situation. Lawrence on the Pats would be the OROY leader right now like Jones.

As of right now, I would still take at least a half dozen veteran QBs. That could change over time when we start to see what Jones' true ceiling is.

It’s easy to think that and say that. And we could have said that for…… e.g. Manning vs Brady. That of course you should take the superior Manning (in every way the better QB coming out of college) than Brady. And even after Brady won SB in 2001 you’d say (and everyone in the League DID say) “just a good situation”.

Yet there’s something about those intangibles. The guys who have a knack for pulling out 4th qtr wins. Who don’t get flustered under pressure. Who can absorb game planning prep better and etc.

I can honestly say, seeing the performance on the field, I’d prefer Mac to Trevor. Forget the college credentials. It’s NFL performance and reacting to NFL speed and complexity that matters.

My 2c

You know Jones has bested Lawrence in every level of competition they've played in, right?

Mac is our guy and is perfect for what the Pats do; I don't want anyone else. Let the team grow with him.

Brady
Rodgers
Mahomes
Murray
Burrow
Allen
Herbert

I think that's about it
This list makes sense.

To play devil's advocate, I'll add : if we are talking about "going forward", I might choose Mac over AR & Brady, due to their respective ages. I'd also add that Allen & Herbert are good players, but that it's my opinion that they are the most overrated players since Andrew Luck (a playoff INT machine who was heralded as the chosen one, when his greatest feat was to get slaughtered in the AFCCG). Lastly, Burrow has yet to truly distance himself from Mac. Though the next few years will be telling, I'd caution against buying stock on the Cincy QB.

You know Jones has bested Lawrence in every level of competition they've played in, right?

Mac is our guy and is perfect for what the Pats do; I don't want anyone else. Let the team grow with him.
Reverse the QB's. What is the record of Jacksonville and New England?

It’s easy to think that and say that. And we could have said that for…… e.g. Manning vs Brady. That of course you should take the superior Manning (in every way the better QB coming out of college) than Brady. And even after Brady won SB in 2001 you’d say (and everyone in the League DID say) “just a good situation”.

Yet there’s something about those intangibles. The guys who have a knack for pulling out 4th qtr wins. Who don’t get flustered under pressure. Who can absorb game planning prep better and etc.

I can honestly say, seeing the performance on the field, I’d prefer Mac to Trevor. Forget the college credentials. It’s NFL performance and reacting to NFL speed and complexity that matters.

My 2c

Lawrence has nothing around him. No talent. No coaching. That is a huge difference between the two QBs right now. Lawrence is trying to carry a team that probably doesn’t have more than 3-4 starters on either side of the ball who would even have a legitimate chance to compete to start on the Patriots.

The Jags may ruin Lawrence. But if he was on a good team, he would be better than Jones at least long term. That is no swipe at Jones.

Brady
Rodgers
Mahomes
Murray
Burrow
Allen
Herbert

I think that's about it

This is the Bradyite response to this question. Brady is going to retire sooner rather than later and the Bradyites would rather have Brady for another 1-2 years than Mac for 15 years. We know @sb1 would rather have Brady or Lawrence over Mac lol.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back