PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Quarterbacks: Rank Based On Who You’d Want To Build Around

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s say the league decides every AFC quarterback is now subject to a special draft, and you, as GM, need to come up with an order of priority. You would be building the whole a team, so you’re not getting the rest of the offense/coaches the QB currently plays for.

Let’s just take the money part out of it. All current contracts are voided, and cost considerations aren’t a factor since in this exercise. Every QB gets a the same contract.

You certainly can - and should - factor in age and potential development/decline. All things should be considered (like Watson’s legal problems, attitude, risk.)
  • Josh Allen (25)
  • Joe Burrow (25)
  • Derek Carr (30)
  • Justin Herbert (23)
  • Lamar Jackson (25)
  • Mac Jones (23)
  • Trevor Lawrence (22)
  • Patrick Mahomes (26)
  • Baker Mayfield (26)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23)
  • Deshaun Watson (26)
  • The #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft (you can choose to exercise your option in any year, whether it’s 2022, 2023, etc. But you’ll have a stopgap, backup type like Wentz or Bridgewater until then.)

I would say Mahomes. He struggled early in the year but once he became patient he has been on a tear again as much as I hate it.

Right now I’d go Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert. Let’s see where Mac is in a couple of years. The league is set up nicely at the QB position for the next 10-12 years.

Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Tua Tagovailoa
Mac Jones
Derek Carr
Baker Mayfield

Let’s say the league decides every AFC quarterback is now subject to a special draft, and you, as GM, need to come up with an order of priority. You would be building the whole a team, so you’re not getting the rest of the offense/coaches the QB currently plays for.

Let’s just take the money part out of it. All current contracts are voided, and cost considerations aren’t a factor since in this exercise. Every QB gets a the same contract.

You certainly can - and should - factor in age and potential development/decline. All things should be considered (like Watson’s legal problems, attitude, risk.)
  • Josh Allen (25)
  • Joe Burrow (25)
  • Derek Carr (30)
  • Justin Herbert (23)
  • Lamar Jackson (25)
  • Mac Jones (23)
  • Trevor Lawrence (22)
  • Patrick Mahomes (26)
  • Baker Mayfield (26)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23)
  • Deshaun Watson (26)
  • The #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft (you can choose to exercise your option in any year, whether it’s 2022, 2023, etc. But you’ll have a stopgap, backup type like Wentz or Bridgewater until then.)

1. Patrick Mahomes (26)
  2. Josh Allen (25)
  3. Joe Burrow (25)
  4. Justin Herbert (23)
I need to win now. Gimme the guy who has won a SB and I think who will have a longer career than Allen.

Hard to argue with anyone who wants to flip those top few guys. Really can't go wrong with any of them.

The purpose of the exercise was really to figure out the order after those top 4 guys, but I understand why people love to intra-rank the best of them. I love that stuff too.

I think everyone would acknowledge the clear talent of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow.

But then things get a lot more interesting after that top tier. Who is in the next tier? With Mac, we’re not in “the best” situation, but where are we? I’ll give it a shot:

1. Mahomes

2. Herbert
3. Allen
4. Burrow

5. Watson
6. Jackson
7. Carr

8. Jones
9. Lawrence
10. #1 Overall Pick ***This is where I’m drawing my line, personally. Simply put, I look at the top guys these other teams have and think I’m not competing with any of the guys below here...it’s too big of a gap. I need to draft a QB because the bigger risk is trying to win without enough talent. Mac is right in this tier, but I have him just above the line***

11. Mayfield
12. Tua

1. Mahomes
2. Herbert
3. Burrow
4. Allen
5. Mac
6. Lawrence
7. #1 pick
8. Watson
9. Jackson
10. Carr
11. Mayfield
12. Tua

Mahomes
Herbert
Allen
Burrow
Watson
Jackson
Lawrence
Jones
Tua
Carr
Mayfield
Agree with all except for Jackson. I really don’t think he’s for the long term.

The purpose of the exercise was really to figure out the order after those top 4 guys, but I understand why people love to intra-rank the best of them. I love that stuff too.

I think everyone would acknowledge the clear talent of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow.

But then things get a lot more interesting after that top tier. Who is in the next tier? With Mac, we’re not in “the best” situation, but where are we? I’ll give it a shot:

1. Mahomes

2. Herbert
3. Allen
4. Burrow

5. Watson
6. Jackson
7. Carr

8. Jones
9. Lawrence
10. #1 Overall Pick ***This is where I’m drawing my line, personally. Simply put, I look at the top guys these other teams have and think I’m not competing with any of the guys below here...it’s too big of a gap. I need to draft a QB because the bigger risk is trying to win without enough talent. Mac is right in this tier, but I have him just above the line***

11. Mayfield
12. Tua
It’s too early to talk about “clear talent” between Burrow, Lawrence, etc. I could make a case that Lawrence will be as good as Mahoney in a couple of years. I’d also take Watson over Allen for talent alone.

but when you factor in age and off field drama or injuries, that’s where players like Watson drop for me.

Mahomes-
Allen - if he makes an effort to absorb less hits. You can use your legs like mahomes and herbert but not take that physical toll, especially with playing 17 games now. If not he’ll start
Burrow
Herbert
Watson IF legal issues clear obv
Jones/ Lawrence tie right here. Mac was obviously in a way better situation so thats contributed.
Jackson- big step backwards this year, concerned he may have been figured out
Carr
Tua
Mayfield

Very interesting stuff.

To me, just as interesting is, "how do you build your team knowing your QB is probably a top-25% level guy but probably not a top-10% level guy relative to the 32 starters in the league"...

It'll be a very interesting needle to thread, IMO.

We're now in that place where we probably don't see top-tier draft picks any time soon, so the mission is to build the best team one can build around Mac.

Agree with all except for Jackson. I really don’t think he’s for the long term.
Jackson is the wild card in all this. I think he is obviously a dynamic player but as far as a passer I still think he is pretty limited and close to being "he is what he is" as a passer. He might be able to lead a viable super bowl team if the Ravens retool and give him the rushing attack like he had a few years ago with Marc Ingram and Gus Edwards and keep the TE group together.

1. Mahomes

2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Lawrence

5. Jackson
6. Herbert (seems beatable and not 100% in)
7. Stroud
8. Watson (PR headache) -- Rodgers (not all in, done after '24, not liked by teammates)

9. Jones
10. Carr - almost as lucky as Ringo Starr
11. Tua (one hit away from SS)

Mayfield: Curtis?

1. Patrick Mahomes (26)
  2. Josh Allen (25)
  3. Joe Burrow (25)
  4. Justin Herbert (23)
I need to win now. Gimme the guy who has won a SB and I think who will have a longer career than Allen.
I think it's Mahomes by a lot, then I want Burrow.

I think it's Mahomes by a lot, then I want Burrow.
Jezz I wrote that 14 months ago.

I don't think i'd change it except maybe flip-flop Allen and Burrow but that's splitting hairs.

• Josh Allen (25)
  • Joe Burrow (25)
  • Derek Carr (30)
  • Justin Herbert (23)
  • Lamar Jackson (25)
  • Mac Jones (23)
  • Trevor Lawrence (22)
  • Patrick Mahomes (26)
  • Baker Mayfield (26)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23)
  • Deshaun Watson (26)
#1. Mahomes
#2. Allen
#3. Herbert
#4. Burrow
#5. Watson
#6. Lawrence
#7. Jackson
#8. Jones
#9. Rookie QB
#10. Pickett
#11-14. Doesn't matter
#15. Tua