PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A great breakdown of the Patriots "No-Name" defense and the changes that were made to improve it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Recently came across a fantastic recap of what we witnessed this season.
Mike Tanier of Bleacher Report explains how newly acquired, unheralded players like Van Noy and Eric Rowe (along with unexpected trades of Jones, Easley, Collins) and changes in scheme, made the New England Defense a force to be reckoned with.

Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself

Bill Belichick and his staff made some second-half adjustments to get the most out of the Patriots' no-name defense. They also stuck to some things that have worked for Belichick for more than a decade.

Here's a look at what the Patriots are doing now, why it's working, and what the team might do Sunday to stop Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and the toughest offense they have faced all year.

[Click here for full entry]

Yeah thats pretty spot on analysis. I like the 2001 comparison on defense. I am not sure how accurate it is but he made it sound reasonable.

The Patriots defense is performing like a smooth orchestra. Their weakest link is the D line in a passing defense - they just do not have the personnel to hurry a QB over the next two games. Their strongest link is the defensive backfield, which is the reason for its stinginess.
(Off topic - I am beginning to worry about analyst predictions for this game. Bleacher Report polled their writers 12-0 for Patriots in this game. I am vary of such smugness by the analyst community - it means that they are paying scant attention to how Pittsburgh is going about preparing for this game. They have quite competent team that can take down anybody if they are as efficient as they have been the last two games)

The Patriots defense is performing like a smooth orchestra. Their weakest link is the D line in a passing defense - they just do not have the personnel to hurry a QB over the next two games. Their strongest link is the defensive backfield, which is the reason for its stinginess.
(Off topic - I am beginning to worry about analyst predictions for this game. Bleacher Report polled their writers 12-0 for Patriots in this game. I am vary of such smugness by the analyst community - it means that they are paying scant attention to how Pittsburgh is going about preparing for this game. They have quite competent team that can take down anybody if they are as efficient as they have been the last two games)

Yeah, I kinda liked it when we were the underdogs. Ah well...

I like their pass D. It's not a bunch of High dollar super studs at every position rather a group of guys who understand the scheme or the chess match. They coax QB's into mistakes. They are waiting for your mistake. Sure they give up yards but each play is another chance for the QB to throw an int, throw it away/incompletion or take the sack.

Roethlisberger hasn't shown to be patient enough to play a mistake free game against this D especially in the red zone.

Analyist predictions will have zero effect with the football product produced by the Patriots on the field Sunday night.

I like their pass D. It's not a bunch of High dollar super studs at every position rather a group of guys who understand the scheme or the chess match. They coax QB's into mistakes. They are waiting for your mistake. Sure they give up yards but each play is another chance for the QB to throw an int, throw it away/incompletion or take the sack.

Roethlisberger hasn't shown to be patient enough to play a mistake free game against this D especially in the red zone.

Saying they give up yards is a bit of a misconception. Everyone gives up yards. IIRC their yards per run or pass allowed is well below the league average. In addition their 3rd down D has been lights out the last 8 games or so. Incredible.

Saying they give up yards is a bit of a misconception. Everyone gives up yards. IIRC their yards per run or pass allowed is well below the league average. In addition their 3rd down D has been lights out the last 8 games or so. Incredible.

Agree. Should have written some yards. But I stand behind the scheme. They rarely or strategically blitz and maintain control of the trenches while dropping 7-8 into coverage. It takes a patient mistake free QB to score on them. I don't think Ben can do that.

One interesting note not mentioned in the article: Rowe, Branch and Van Noy were 2d rd picks and SM was a 1st. They are all athletic for their positions and were highly regarded coming out of college.

I like that he mentioned the coverage abilities of KVN and SM. They often don't get enough credit for their work, especially in limiting drag and flat routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes