PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Final SB 51 Family Story....long with no real point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

obgod3

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I kind of shut down here on the site late last season, first off I get into the playoff too much and kinda zone into useless TV between games. I watch all the games. Plus early January is the start of the race season for me and I start some traveling to hit the enduro circuit.

Anyway I live outside of Denver, my family, 6 of us are all Pats fans, I brain washed my kids when they were small even though they had no real connection to the North East other than mom and dad. Traveled a lot in the Military.

SuperBowl 51 Sunday. Started off nervous about the game, as usual, but somewhat confident also. Me in the basement by myself, rest of the family upstairs in the family room, my oldest (son) pacing the hallway floor as normal. Two of my daughters there also, one boyfriend and one (broncos) husband, my wife and grandson.

Overnighted a bunch of food from Caserta Pizza in Providence...BTW they only times I have done this in the last 8 years the pats won both games. $100 of food, $150 in shipping. LOL

Ok game and soon things are looking not great. I had all the intentions of partying but was not feeling well..sick. Half time rolls in and Im done. Sorry I just didn't see any chance. My son and I walk the cul-de-sac....not saying a single word...when second half starts Im headed to bed and finish watching there, its over right...well my oldest daughter sitting on the sofa laughs at me and literally tells me they can still win and matter of factly says they will. I let her know that it has never happened and the odds are seriously not good. My son heads to his room in the basement, im assuming to stream the rest of the game, my youngest daughter heads to the basement to watch the big screen with the boyfriend. wife still in the family room, looking at us like idiots.

Then the pats score a TD, interesting...nothing to get excited about...I stick my head out the door to see what my daughter might say...she says..."its starting", my son is sitting on a chair in his room, staring at his monitor, which is off, listening to the game in the other room where my other daughter is. Pats score agian...Im feeling like crap but now Im getting interested and thinking maybe they wont entirely embarrass themselves...first daughter yells up to me that Im missing the big comeback...eh.

Pats eventually make it 8 points...Im starting to freak out because I cant stand the thought of an almost .....but now Im out of bed standing in front of it the bed 3 feet from the TV, not moving, I gotta pee so bad I can taste it but Im not moving...first daughter still yelling up at me that I should believe her...son has now texted that due to superstition he wont move anymore and while sitting on his legs he cant feel them anymore.....finally the wife brings me a pee bottle I once brought home from the hospital so I can pee and not move at all.....

when the pats tied the game we all went nuts, my neighbors later told me they all could hear everyone in our house...we all kinda relaxed at that point..when they won the toss I knew it was over....There are so many other moments in that game I could talk about but this is really about our family...we are idiots... and what this dam family does during a Pats game....superstion...stupid stuff...I pee'ed in a plastic bottle in front of my bed....had to use it in the bed a few times in the past but those are different stories.

I still have the game recorded on the DVR, plus the 3 games to glory DVD and I have watched the game almost as many times as the first SB win...

Reading all the new stuff here as the season gets ready to start I just wanted to talk a little about our experience as transplanted Pats fan in Colorado....

Oh the wife has to help son get moving again...he could barely walk by the time the game ended...BTW he never saw the second half live....he did watch OT.

What we saw in Feburary is really something I dont expect to see again in my lifetime...I remember the 70's and 80's.....this is just fantastic and Im looking forward to this next season because I think we have a kick ass team again.

That's awesome.

It's funny. My kids and I went up to my brother's house to watch with some of his friends. One of them semi snapped at me, "What do your stats say now????" . I kept saying that the Pats still have a chance at the time. My son was even more optimistic than I was.

At one point I went outside with my brother to the driveway to let his dog run around and his son runs out and says, "Hightower just stripped sacked Ryan". We both knew that could be the shift.

But even as positive as I was I was still punching my brother in the arm late in the fourth quarter saying, "Dude, is this real?".

But like you what I remember most or at least more than the game was the moments with my kids and my brother. Those moments are just priceless.

Thanks for sharing.

Funny side note: As I'm typing this my wife is *****ing at my son for playing a one man football game in his room after bed time. :D

Nice story. Kudos to your daughter!

I must say it's really sad after everything Tom Brady has done that people would give up on the game before it's over. I just don't get it. This is what they do. How can you give up when there's still time left on the clock.

Reading stories like this reminds me of people leaving the stadium against the Cardinals in 2012 and against the Saints in 2013. Kinda aggravating! But then I think of the pic of Seahawks fans in the 2014 NFC champ game who left too early and were waiting outside the entrance, and I'm like

maxresdefault.jpg

Good read. Thanks for sharing that. I also had to go outside during halftime and do some brisk walking in the Maine winter air to get some stress relief.

My only, and I mean ONLY really bad heartache was when Julio Jones caught that deep ball and tap-danced his way in bounds along the sideline. My mind nearly tore itself in half because I remember watching him do similar stuff in College. Big JJ fan.

BUT....... I was thinking Oh No! Another one of those frikkin' circus catches that cost us 2 Lombardis. It was the only time that serious doubt snuck into my mind and it took me a few minutes to force it back out.

I am ecstatic for the win, the greatest comeback in SB history, and the fact I watched it all the way through, and for sometime afterward.

But I'd rather not have to do that again. I don't know how many more time my old carcass can take that sort of stress. :)

Great story, I love reading these, especially when we know the game ended up in the Pat's favor.

Great story. I'm abut 15 min from Casserta's, haven't been there in so long. They actually overnight food to you? What the heck did you get? Pizza and wimpy skippys????? That is awesome they would send that to you. I'm giving them my business soon just by hearing that.

I was watching the game with my wife, my son, and my daughter. I'm the only die-hard fan in the family.

Right after the Falcons scored to make it 28-3, my wife said "It just isn't their night. Sorry! Do you want to come and walk the dogs with us? Getting away from it may be good for you."

I said "No. It isn't over. We still have Tom Brady. I am not giving up yet."

My wife, my son, and my daughter then took out the dogs for a long walk. When they returned, maybe 30-40 minutes later, the score was 28-20 when they walked in the door. Needless to say, they were surprised. They said that they were thinking that they were going to have to cheer me up.

If I were especially superstitious, I would have sent them back outside to walk the dogs some more! But I didn't. They at least got to see the ending.

Last edited:
Great read! We kept watching at my house because I believe in going down with the ship, but my friend who was over and another poster on this board both said at half-time they thought the Pats were going to win. I thought, "what are you smoking?" and then was having a heart attack every time the Pats scored, as coming up a little short was almost as bad as getting blown out! My 84 yr. old Dad left my brother's house in disgust when the Pats went down 28-3. Luckily he decided to check the score before he went to bed, "to see how badly they had lost." The Pats were in the process of tying the game when he put it back on. LOL.

Great read! We kept watching at my house because I believe in going down with the ship, but my friend who was over and another poster on this board both said at half-time they thought the Pats were going to win. I thought, "what are you smoking?" and then was having a heart attack every time the Pats scored, as coming up a little short was almost as bad as getting blown out! My 84 yr. old Dad left my brother's house in disgust when the Pats went down 28-3. Luckily he decided to check the score before he went to bed, "to see how badly they had lost." The Pats were in the process of tying the game when he put it back on. LOL.

My dad was a huge Patriots fan. He and I watched the last two AFCCG losses together at his house up in Camden, Maine... I drove up from Long Guyland and brought blueberry pies from Moody's Diner. Took a little of the sting out of losing. A little.

He passed away July 1, 2014 at 82, God rest his soul, before both SB49 and SB51. Would have loved to have watched THOSE with him.

On the plus side, though, for those two games, I'm guessing he had a mighty fine seat. :)

My dad was a huge Patriots fan. He and I watched the last two AFCCG losses together at his house up in Camden, Maine... I drove up from Long Guyland and brought blueberry pies from Moody's Diner. Took a little of the sting out of losing. A little.

He passed away July 1, 2014 at 82, God rest his soul, before both SB49 and SB51. Would have loved to have watched THOSE with him.

On the plus side, though, for those two games, I'm guessing he had a mighty fine seat. :)
Condolences on your Dad. I have a similar story about my Mom who passed away on March 28, 2015 at 74 from cancer (still hard to type that). She (like everybody else in my family) was a huge Pats fans and one of the last enjoyable things for her on this earth was the Pats winning SB 49, which I had the great fortune to attend. Even though she was very sick at the time, when I called her shortly after the game ended, she was yelling into the phone, "Oh that game!" I'd like to think there was a stadium full of Pats fans up above watching the last one. Who knows, maybe they had something to do with the outcome. ;-)

Awesome story!

I have my superstitions as well. Though I never took it so far as to pee in a bottle. Don't misunderstand. Im not judging. I get it!

I had food poisoning. The sickest I have been in my life. Pats were getting killed and I simply did not care. I was hoping for death.

My wife had told our daughter she could stay up to watch the whole game. When it was 28-3 my wife told her to go to bed, the game was over. My daughter reminded her she said she could watch the whole game so my wife gave in.

After the game my daughter looked at mom and said "And to think you almost made me miss that!"

I watch every game start to finish.
I feel it's a moral obligation...thick or thin, good times of bad, kind of thing.
Just my opinion. You don't get to cherry pick the good games.

The falcons were an offensive juggernaut. I figured they would score first and the Pats would have to wear them down.
I thought it was going to be like a heavyweight fight where they were going to get knocked to the canvas and have to get up. I had no idea they would get so far behind.

My friends at work were calling and texting to bust my chops.
I didn't answer...I was watching the game...alone...no distractions.
I felt the Pats were going to make a game of it...they were too tough.
But I felt they were going to fall a little short.
Everything had to work out just right.
When they won the OT coin toss, I knew it was over.
Nothing was going to stop their roll.
I just knew they were going to score a TD.
After the game I told them all to "suck it".

Great story. I'm abut 15 min from Casserta's, haven't been there in so long. They actually overnight food to you? What the heck did you get? Pizza and wimpy skippys????? That is awesome they would send that to you. I'm giving them my business soon just by hearing that.

Yes we found out two years ago they ship overnight, they cook everything half way, wrap and pack and send it to you. 15 minutes in the oven and your good. We got some spinach pies, some wimpys and four large pizzas..LOL

Condolences on your Dad. I have a similar story about my Mom who passed away on March 28, 2015 at 74 from cancer (still hard to type that). She (like everybody else in my family) was a huge Pats fans and one of the last enjoyable things for her on this earth was the Pats winning SB 49, which I had the great fortune to attend. Even though she was very sick at the time, when I called her shortly after the game ended, she was yelling into the phone, "Oh that game!" I'd like to think there was a stadium full of Pats fans up above watching the last one. Who knows, maybe they had something to do with the outcome. ;-)

Yeah I think of my Dad (2008) and my Grandmother (2009) after every big win. But I enjoy the memories of the big wins they were able to witness. For my father it was SB 36 and for my Grandmother it was the Red Sox in 2004. Imagine my Grandmother being born in 1918 and finally seeing the Sox pull it off in dramatic fashion. I remember watching the first football game I ever watched with my Dad. It was in 1973 ( or so) and we were stationed in Berlin Germany. American Forces Network decided to replay a Pats vs Redskins game. My Dad says, "Holy **** the Pats are on TV". We sat there and watched the game while he was explaining it to me. It's funny. It's supposedly just a game but it really isn't.

So I kind of shut down here on the site late last season, first off I get into the playoff too much and kinda zone into useless TV between games. I watch all the games. Plus early January is the start of the race season for me and I start some traveling to hit the enduro circuit.

Anyway I live outside of Denver, my family, 6 of us are all Pats fans, I brain washed my kids when they were small even though they had no real connection to the North East other than mom and dad. Traveled a lot in the Military.

SuperBowl 51 Sunday. Started off nervous about the game, as usual, but somewhat confident also. Me in the basement by myself, rest of the family upstairs in the family room, my oldest (son) pacing the hallway floor as normal. Two of my daughters there also, one boyfriend and one (broncos) husband, my wife and grandson.

Overnighted a bunch of food from Caserta Pizza in Providence...BTW they only times I have done this in the last 8 years the pats won both games. $100 of food, $150 in shipping. LOL

Ok game and soon things are looking not great. I had all the intentions of partying but was not feeling well..sick. Half time rolls in and Im done. Sorry I just didn't see any chance. My son and I walk the cul-de-sac....not saying a single word...when second half starts Im headed to bed and finish watching there, its over right...well my oldest daughter sitting on the sofa laughs at me and literally tells me they can still win and matter of factly says they will. I let her know that it has never happened and the odds are seriously not good. My son heads to his room in the basement, im assuming to stream the rest of the game, my youngest daughter heads to the basement to watch the big screen with the boyfriend. wife still in the family room, looking at us like idiots.

Then the pats score a TD, interesting...nothing to get excited about...I stick my head out the door to see what my daughter might say...she says..."its starting", my son is sitting on a chair in his room, staring at his monitor, which is off, listening to the game in the other room where my other daughter is. Pats score agian...Im feeling like crap but now Im getting interested and thinking maybe they wont entirely embarrass themselves...first daughter yells up to me that Im missing the big comeback...eh.

Pats eventually make it 8 points...Im starting to freak out because I cant stand the thought of an almost .....but now Im out of bed standing in front of it the bed 3 feet from the TV, not moving, I gotta pee so bad I can taste it but Im not moving...first daughter still yelling up at me that I should believe her...son has now texted that due to superstition he wont move anymore and while sitting on his legs he cant feel them anymore.....finally the wife brings me a pee bottle I once brought home from the hospital so I can pee and not move at all.....

when the pats tied the game we all went nuts, my neighbors later told me they all could hear everyone in our house...we all kinda relaxed at that point..when they won the toss I knew it was over....There are so many other moments in that game I could talk about but this is really about our family...we are idiots... and what this dam family does during a Pats game....superstion...stupid stuff...I pee'ed in a plastic bottle in front of my bed....had to use it in the bed a few times in the past but those are different stories.

I still have the game recorded on the DVR, plus the 3 games to glory DVD and I have watched the game almost as many times as the first SB win...

Reading all the new stuff here as the season gets ready to start I just wanted to talk a little about our experience as transplanted Pats fan in Colorado....

Oh the wife has to help son get moving again...he could barely walk by the time the game ended...BTW he never saw the second half live....he did watch OT.

What we saw in Feburary is really something I dont expect to see again in my lifetime...I remember the 70's and 80's.....this is just fantastic and Im looking forward to this next season because I think we have a kick ass team again.
Hey, I thought you said this was long. This isn't long. :D

Your emotions during that game were shared by a lot of Pats fans around the world, but you just told the story beautifully. Nice job. Thanks for sharing

I live 10 minutes away from Camden -sorry to hear about your father.

About the Super Bowl, the stories I enjoy the most are from the perspective of people's reactions at the 28-3 point. I heard of people waking up the next morning in shock and utter disbelief. Wish some of them had thought to put a camera on themselves ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey