PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A few miscellaneous thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Had a couple of thoughts, don’t think any are really thread-worthy, so thought I’d put into one overall thread that probably isn’t thread-worthy either.

--Conspiracy theories and grand designs are for the birds, let’s make that clear. Having said that, it is amazing how often “storybook” kinds of things happen in the NFL. The Saints winning after Katrina, Peyton winning in his last year, the Pats winning last year, hell, as repellent as it was, the Ravens winning in Ray Lewis’ last year. Just happens a lot.

So I’m watching the game yesterday, 20 seconds left or whatever, and I’m thinking…the Super Bowl’s in Minnesota…the Vikings are going to pull this out. So for next week, they’re going to Philly, outside in the elements, have to like the Eagles there…it’s hard to shake the feeling that fate dictates Minnesota will win.

--Other teams blasting kickoffs into the end zone is getting to be borderline coaching malpractice at this point and maybe doesn’t get enough attention. The Pats consistently kick it to around the goal line, and get stops in the 10-20 range, while other teams are conceding the 25 over and over again, trading the small chance of a substantial return for hundreds of free yards over time. Not that I’m complaining, better for the Pats, but it’s bananas.

Happened a LOT this weekend…Saints/Vikings…if the Saints forced a return, odds are Jax doesn’t make it to the 25, more time off the clock, and they’re playing next week.

And I’m sorry, Ghost is terrific at it but you’re not going to tell me this is beyond the skill-set of other kickers.

--Generally speaking, you need a top QB to win in this league, but man, this weekend killed the idea that that’s all it takes. To consistently be in the mix year after year, yeah, you need the guy. But defense, luck and happenstance can get it done in any given season. Having said that, Brady is, of course, a bit of an advantage, and it’s a big reason why Jax is a much better opponent for the Pats than Pittsburgh, just like Philly or Minn will be a better opponent than Atlanta or New Orleans.

--Last, anyone watch the Good Place? Blake Bortles is a frequent reference, pretty funny…

Had a couple of thoughts, don’t think any are really thread-worthy, so thought I’d put into one overall thread that probably isn’t thread-worthy either.

--Conspiracy theories and grand designs are for the birds, let’s make that clear. Having said that, it is amazing how often “storybook” kinds of things happen in the NFL. The Saints winning after Katrina, Peyton winning in his last year, the Pats winning last year, hell, as repellent as it was, the Ravens winning in Ray Lewis’ last year. Just happens a lot.

So I’m watching the game yesterday, 20 seconds left or whatever, and I’m thinking…the Super Bowl’s in Minnesota…the Vikings are going to pull this out. So for next week, they’re going to Philly, outside in the elements, have to like the Eagles there…it’s hard to shake the feeling that fate dictates Minnesota will win.

--Other teams blasting kickoffs into the end zone is getting to be borderline coaching malpractice at this point and maybe doesn’t get enough attention. The Pats consistently kick it to around the goal line, and get stops in the 10-20 range, while other teams are conceding the 25 over and over again, trading the small chance of a substantial return for hundreds of free yards over time. Not that I’m complaining, better for the Pats, but it’s bananas.

Happened a LOT this weekend…Saints/Vikings…if the Saints forced a return, odds are Jax doesn’t make it to the 25, more time off the clock, and they’re playing next week.

And I’m sorry, Ghost is terrific at it but you’re not going to tell me this is beyond the skill-set of other kickers.

--Generally speaking, you need a top QB to win in this league, but man, this weekend killed the idea that that’s all it takes. To consistently be in the mix year after year, yeah, you need the guy. But defense, luck and happenstance can get it done in any given season. Having said that, Brady is, of course, a bit of an advantage, and it’s a big reason why Jax is a much better opponent for the Pats than Pittsburgh, just like Philly or Minn will be a better opponent than Atlanta or New Orleans.

--Last, anyone watch the Good Place? Blake Bortles is a frequent reference, pretty funny…

I was stunned they just blasted the kickoff into the EZ - the extra time burned could have been huge. Gotta trust you kick coverage team. Note in the SB, the Pats kicked short of the goal line after tying the game and pinned Atl deep.

The story lines are always played up but only seem inevitable after the fact.

Favre going out with a SB would have seemed inevitable if it happened.

Patriots winning for Myra seemed inevitable to many

PIT winning for Shazier

Warner winning one walking away

If anything the Minnesota home field thing is one of the weakest Cinderella dramas I've ever heard. Who gives s***, it's not like there's some accomplishment in being one of the dozen or so domes and warm weather stadiums that repeatedly get picked. There's no human element to the story at all.

Florida, California, and NO have hosted almost 40 SBs which just tells you about the ineptitude of teams in those markets that this never happens.

Holy forking shirt, that's a funny show!

I was stunned they just blasted the kickoff into the EZ - the extra time burned could have been huge. Gotta trust you kick coverage team. Note in the SB, the Pats kicked short of the goal line after tying the game and pinned Atl deep.
And the Pats do it ALL THE TIME

The Good Place is a great show. The creator is actually a huge Pats/Boston fan also.

Not only was the decision to kick a touchback inexcusable, but so too was not really trying to gain that last first down in order to bleed whatever time remained on the game clock.
Shockingly inept and gutless coaching by Payton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back