PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A$ante being A$ante

Here's the entire video. It's interesting to see what they think about players/coaches around the league. The Pats stuff is in the beginning, but it was funny when Asante says the D he played on wasn't that good and Tom bailed them out. Bill respects guys more that give him push pack- does not respect "company men". About 48 minutes in is really going to upset people as he reveals he didn't watch film - mentions Eli and the Giants.

Aside from that, it gets better when they talk about the media creation of the urban legend that was Nnamdi Asomugha as an elite CB and how that came to be. Marshall and DJ Williams talk about how Mike Shanahan was afraid to throw to him. LeShaun McCoy and Samuel tell the story at their first camp with the Eagles of how they knew he was a massive fraud. Ty Law, Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey get mentioned later on. Near the end of the video they start talking about DB's and Samuel goes after Revis and Ramsey. Good stuff.

Last edited:
According to Asante, he actually wanted to leave after the 2006 season because Bill was trying to diminish his value. He specifically mentioned the Bears incident where he accuses Bill of taking him off the field for no reason for Troy Brown. He said when he went back on the field, he made some play (int or something) and stared Bill down. However, money always talks and I’m sure Asante would’ve reconsidered if Bill offered him a good deal.

The rest of the post I agree with. He was not the type of CB you pay. And that Tyree play was inexcusable.
100% accurate.
He talks about this again in the video. I think he said he wasn't supposed to play against the Bears and Bill wanted to play Troy Brown at nicked and start Chad Scott, but Scott got hurt. Samuel was forced to play, got 3 INT's and ran by Bill twice yelling "you can't stop me". Was going to do it a 3rd time, but his teammates tackled him after the game winner.

He thought for sure Bill was going to let him walk in 2006 because they didn't have a good relationship.

SB performance aside, he still remains one of my favorite cornerbacks. I don't fault any player that prioritizes money. Asante's problem is that he played for us and not the Redskins or the Cowboys.

Although I don't like how Asante was such a me player and how he was counter productive in the locker room during his time here (I wouldn't go as far to label him a locker room cancer), he is just saying the quiet part out loud and what many diva skill players think but won't say to the public. CBs and WRs have a lot of divas and a lot of them only care about how much they are going to get paid. That is true with some players from every position, but the CB and WR positions tend to get more.

***ante needs to let it go. Too funny how salty he gets on Twitter when someone points out the INT that hit him in both hands in the Super Bowl.

E-JQHmCX0AMBzlA.jpg

asante-samuel.jpg

Still hurts. 19-0 or 18-1.

Shut up Asante.

Was there ever any sense that Asante was considered a bad influence on Tom Brady?

Asante was a great story. Always good to see mid to late round picks exceed all expectations. It’s the best part about the draft experience as a fan.

Problem with AS is he comes off as childlike in his mannerism. Bitter, negative, regret are descriptions when I think of him now.

Couldn’t ask for a better exit than what JC Jackson gave. Played hard, elevated himself to the highest level and forced his payday. He didn’t need BB and the Pats anymore. He fulfilled his end, played well, finished his contract. He was in complete control of his destiny and he chose L.A. Don’t blame him one bit. He earned it.

Asante also earned it, they were just different people I guess on how they handle themselves.

Was going to do it a 3rd time, but his teammates tackled him after the game winner.

Can someone find a video of this? I would love to see it.

The value of the Patriots when Kraft made Belichick the head of all football operations/ GM/ coach was 571 million $$$. The Value of the Patriots now is 5 Billion $$$$. Bill Belichick isn’t going anywhere, unless he decides to call it quits.

According to Asante, he actually wanted to leave after the 2006 season because Bill was trying to diminish his value. He specifically mentioned the Bears incident where he accuses Bill of taking him off the field for no reason for Troy Brown. He said when he went back on the field, he made some play (int or something) and stared Bill down. However, money always talks and I’m sure Asante would’ve reconsidered if Bill offered him a good deal.

The rest of the post I agree with. He was not the type of CB you pay. And that Tyree play was inexcusable.

Rodney Harrison was covering Tyree. I think Samuel is a b.tch, but that one wasn’t on him.

Rodney Harrison was covering Tyree. I think Samuel is a b.tch, but that one wasn’t on him.
That was Samuel’s man but he dosed off leaving Harrison out to dry to cover Tyree himself. Had Samuel done his job, Eli most likely holds onto the ball and gets sacked. Samuel also allowed Tyree to catch his first pass of the year - a TD.

Last edited:
That was Samuel’s man but he dosed off leaving Harrison out to dry to cover Tyree himself. Had Samuel done his job, Eli most likely holds onto the ball and gets sacked. Samuel also allowed Tyree to catch his first pass of the year - a TD.

Fair enough, but Harrison still had to make the play.

The guys on PFW said Asante was walking around the hotel and the events before that 07 super bowl repeating the fact that he was going to leave and get paid. Pretty obvious where his head was at.

he reveals he didn't watch film
It's funny really. Imagine how good the guy could have been if he did? It's amazing to me that guys get by at every level on raw athleticism, never putting it together that they could have a real advantage if they did use all the tools available.

A$ante $amuel.

Last edited:
The guys on PFW said Asante was walking around the hotel and the events before that 07 super bowl repeating the fact that he was going to leave and get paid. Pretty obvious where his head was at.

Very similar to where Butler’s head was at prior to the Eagles Super Bowl. Butler was about to become an UFA, and Belichick knew the Eagles played big receivers outside, and Butler struggled against big receivers. So Belichick told Butler he was going to play in the slot, Butler thought that would diminish his value, and he checked out mentally, leading to the benching.

Go back and watch the play again. Samuel was supposed to be in MAN Coverage on Tyree and failed to stay with him. Harrison was back deep, saw the play and moved to get Tyree..

Go back and watch the play again. Samuel was supposed to be in MAN Coverage on Tyree and failed to stay with him. Harrison was back deep, saw the play and moved to get Tyree..

Samuel blew the play but Rodney needed to swat it away.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back