PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Browns: We want at least a 2nd round pick for OBJ
BB: I can't do that.
Browns: Can't do that? You gave up a 2nd for SANU!

Allen is unsatisfied with his contract negotiations, he could be do saying that out of leverage. It's up to the bears to see what they do now.

If Robinson really wants a trade and Bears shop him, Pats should be front of the line. Only paying the starting QB $1m this year, you can pay the $9m for a legit #1 WR. Almost $30m in cap space and have $72m free next season (projected to be 4th most available cap space in the league)

I mean is Bill trying to win a SB this year or is he just going through the motions but ultimately would accept getting a high draft choice? Because if he is trying to win then you get a legit #1 WR if available.

Newton won an MVP and got to a SB with Greg Olsen, Ted Ginn, Jericho Cotchery and Devin Fuchess

Last edited:
Tom Brady has found some great WR in Tampa and currently he is very happy with what he can do. Be careful what you wish for.

Tom Brady has found some great WR in Tampa and currently he is very happy with what he can do. Be careful what you wish.

They don't usually "call a play" to go to one guy.

Don't you think that he could have been option 1 or 2 on a lot of plays, but was not open? It not like he has such a reputation that he would be an effective decoy, either. I wonder how often he got separation.
I should have used the word 'target'.

My guess is that Byrd was seldom (if ever) option one or two, but was primarily used on mid to deep routes to keep the safeties away from the line of scrimmage. I am assuming that is what the coaching plan was. Considering where Newton must be on his learning curve of the offense, it was not surprising to see a run-oriented game plan; Newton had the fewest pass attempts (19) of any QB in the league in Week One.

All but two of those passes were short throws, with the exceptions being (a) the pass to Edelman on the initial drive that Jules dropped, and (b) the pass to Edelman late in the third quarter that was incomplete but the Pats picked up a first down on a RTP penalty (right before the Harry fumble).

I should have used the word 'target'.

My guess is that Byrd was seldom (if ever) option one or two, but was primarily used on mid to deep routes to keep the safeties away from the line of scrimmage. I am assuming that is what the coaching plan was. Considering where Newton must be on his learning curve of the offense, it was not surprising to see a run-oriented game plan; Newton had the fewest pass attempts (19) of any QB in the league in Week One.
Eh you aren’t really wrong. There are plenty of plays where it’s really designed for one guy and the option two is just a failsafe if things go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes