PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 reasons why I accept a week 1, 1 point loss to the Dolphins

I'm very optimistic about this team after week one despite the loss. The game itself was just OK, but the hope it gave me for the rest of the season was great. I don't expect the issues that cost this team games to be problems for the rest of the year.

Here is my list of why I think the Pats lost and whether the problem will persist

1. Offensive Line: Too many penalties, had trouble blocking stunts and couldn't create holes in the run game in the second half. Once Brown got hurt the Pats tried a couple different combinations and the line became inconsistent. With Brown returning soon and Durant showing himself well at time on Sunday it's not ridiculous to expect improvements.

2. Penalties in general: Belichick teams aren't usually penalized like this, I expect he will be able to get things under control.

3. Red Zone efficiency: The Pats has 4 red zone trips. They scored one TD, that's not a recipe for winning in the NFL. The fumble notwithstanding, I expect Harris to be a menace in the red zone this year, especially with Brown back. Smith and Henry missed a lot of time in training camp, I am hopeful that they will become dangerous red zone targets.

4. Defense against the slant: I'm not sure what coverage it was, but I read that Tua was checking out of whatever play they were in to throw a slant if he saw the Pats play a specific coverage. Then when the ball was delivered the Dolphins were getting major YAC on that play. There is no way that Belichick isn't ready for that in the future (although the real solution might just be paying Gilmore).

5. Fumbles: The Pats had two costly fumbles, but Ramondre was down so it's hard to judge him so harshly. The Harris fumble was a gut punch, but he doesn't really have a big history of fumbling so I'm not sure that is a continuing problem.

Jesus…look at what Team Bill is reduced to now.

You guys think winning is the measure of a team…Bill doesn’t.
Did Tommy leaving cause you to suffer brain damage?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back