PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-4 or 4-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have spent so long studying 3-4 players and their associated physical attributes I have to retrain myself on 4-3 players.

What does everyone think about the future? Is the 4-3 here to stay, or will it be a mix of both schemes.

I have spent so long studying 3-4 players and their associated physical attributes I have to retrain myself on 4-3 players.

What does everyone think about the future? Is the 4-3 here to stay, or will it be a mix of both schemes.

It will continue to be a mix..

Ideal situation would be where they could switch between schemes seamlessly with a minimum number of substitutions. So who is already in place:

Wilfork - NT/DT
Mayo - ILB/WLB
Spikes - ILB/MLB
Ninkovich - OLB/SLB/DE

So 4 of the 7 spots are filled with solid to excellent talent. If Carter and Anderson are brought back and Pryor recovers, the 4-3 base and 3-4 sub packages are pretty much set. Love and Deaderick are solid wave DL and Fletcher is a Swiss army knife at LB. So what is left? IMO, 2 things:

3-4 OLB...Effectively a more athletic Ninkovich. Coverage skills a must, special teams ability highly desirable, big enough to hold his own against the run, pass rush ability a bonus. Target? Really don't have one. Travis Lewis maybe? I like Andre Branch as more of a pass rush option that can play on his feet...and he becomes more likely if Carter and/or Anderson are gone. As a 4th round option, Tyler Nielsen (Iowa) is interesting. Light but strong for his size, he has the speed and quickness to do well in coverage and at least be a solid ST guy.

Interior rush DT...What we all hoped Haynesworth would be. Ability to consistently disrupt the pocket without being undisciplined (Belichick just doesn't want guys that dive into the backfield with their hair on fire). Target? Brandon Thompson is obvious but he will be long gone. Still and Worthy are popular guys but they run hot-n-cold...either knifing through a gap or handled by a single blocker. My guy is Derek Wolfe. Not big enough to be an every down DT but should thrive in the Mike Wright role. Also tall enough to take some snaps as a 3-4 DE when needed. High motor guy that should only take a 3rd or 4th round pick to get.

By filling these needs in the middle rounds, the Pats would have the ability to get BPA early (DB, WR, interior OL) and still deal for a high pick in 2013.

I don't know what to think anymore. When Carter went down, they used mostly 3-4 for the rest of the game, and it seemed to me that they were a 4-3 team with Carter and a 3-4 team without, making me lean toward 3-4 for next year. But they've gone back to the 4-3 the last few games since then.

Right now, I'm focusing on 3-4 guys, and if we see the Pats show a ton of interest in 6'1" DTs or pure 4-3 REs (that don't project well to 3-4 ROLB), then I'll pay more attention to them too. But if you scout all the 3-4 players, then you've already accounted for the 4-3 LE, NT, and LBs, plus half of the DTs (the ones who are also 3-4 DEs) and half of the REs (who are also 3-4 ROLBs).

I don't know what to think anymore. When Carter went down, they used mostly 3-4 for the rest of the game, and it seemed to me that they were a 4-3 team with Carter and a 3-4 team without, making me lean toward 3-4 for next year. But they've gone back to the 4-3 the last few games since then.

Right now, I'm focusing on 3-4 guys, and if we see the Pats show a ton of interest in 6'1" DTs or pure 4-3 REs (that don't project well to 3-4 ROLB), then I'll pay more attention to them too. But if you scout all the 3-4 players, then you've already accounted for the 4-3 LE, NT, and LBs, plus half of the DTs (the ones who are also 3-4 DEs) and half of the REs (who are also 3-4 ROLBs).

You nailed it, my thoughts exactly. Start with 3-4 players and selectively look at players in the more traditional 4-3 mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe