PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

21 Years Later here we go again - A look back at the 1997 AFCCG Jax @ NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Remembered this game very well back in 1997 (some of you here were probably not even born yet lol)
..the world was shocked when the Jags went to Mile High and beat the heavily favored Broncos in the divisional round only to lose a very hard fought defensive battle with Drew Bledsoe and Company who went on to win the game 20-6 with the Pats eventually losing to Favre and Desmond Howard's special team heroics in SB XXXI 2 weeks later.

I could definitely see a similar score like 20-6 in this next game- going to be more of a defensive game IMO

A look back at some stats....

AFC Championship - Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots - January 12th, 1997 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I was there....one of the best sporting experiences of my life. First ever afc title game at home for the franchise. Incredible environment, replete with a power outage, boston garden style. I miss the old place in some ways.

The otis smith fumble return/int return for a td was hilarious. And of course, the willie clay int in the end zone.

Parcells acknolwedged sam gash during the trophy presentation. The entire experience is planted on my brain. Got there at 11 am for tailgating.

I too was there. I couldn't believe when my dad asked "wanna go to the football game today? - duh dad, what game could you possibly be talking about since you obviously didn't score AFCC tickets..."

Curtis Martin had easily become my favorite pro athlete. Bunch of guys with cool names on the D - Law, Slade, Lawyer Milloy, Bruuuuuuuschi, etc. Such a strange playoffs with the 2 expansion franchises both making it to the title game, especially with the Jags knocking out the Elway Broncos the year before they went back to back.

Great memories.

We were there too! Awesome game. Awesome memories. I love that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News