PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day 3 LIVE Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, when Brissette goes down with a minor injury, who is the #2 QB.

I do NOT, do NOT, do NOT want Maye as our #2 QB until he is ready to play, perhaps in the last half of the season.

Perhaps you think that we should keep Milton and have him as our #2. I'd much rather have Rourke or even Zappe.
..why?

Why would you rather have two worse players?

Pats actually had 6 going into training camp last year.

Stevenson, Elliot, K. Harris, JJ Taylor, Ty Montgomery, Pierre Strong.

View attachment 57854
I was thinking of the roster, not camp, but your point is well taken. I do expect us to sign a couple of RB bodies for camp.

I used to think of the norm at RB being 4-5, with one being a STer like Montgomery.

We can argue over the choice of players, but the team did what it needed to do this draft. Pairing Maye with Polk, Baker and Bell, given their abilities, feels a lot healthier than one or the other.

It looks like Wolfe and co. are going after intelligent, competive and complementary pieces.

On a side note, as much as I hate to admit this - it looks like the Jets had a good draft.
Not much quantity, but they got some quality on offense.

OT Olu Fashanu
WR Malachi Corley
RB Braelon Allen
QB Jordan Travis
RB Isaiah Davis
CB Qwan'tez Stiggers
Mr. Irrelevant

..why?

Why would you rather have two worse players?
We've had over a hundred of discussions of why Maye shouldn't be playing against an NFL team until his skill set develops and our OL works together more. Having Maye play early is a really bad idea.

We are NOT starting Brissette because he is a better player than Maye. So, the number 2 also wouldn't be the #2 because they are a better player than Maye. Maye should be the emergency #3 QB until he is ready to start games.

On a side note, as much as I hate to admit this - it looks like the Jets had a good draft.
Not much quantity, but they got some quality on offense.

OT Olu Fashanu
WR Malachi Corley
RB Braelon Allen
QB Jordan Travis
RB Isaiah Davis
CB Qwan'tez Stiggers
Mr. Irrelevant
The jets should be favored to make the playoffs this year and next. And they have a late round QB to develop.

We've had over a hundred of discussions of why Maye shouldn't be playing against an NFL team until his skill set develops and our OL works together more. Having Maye play early is a really bad idea.

We are NOT starting Brissette because he is a better player than Maye. So, the number 2 also wouldn't be the #2 because they are a better player than Maye. Maye should be the emergency #3 QB until he is ready to start games.
Then what do you do with Joe Milton?

I'm sorry, it's crazy to have a dogshit QB like Zappe on the roster at all, just so Drake Maye...doesn't play? You drafted him 3 overall. He's going to play this year at some point. If not, you whiffed the draft pick.

Insane that they made 8 picks and only one was on defense. That’s an indictment on the state of the roster
Or as a glass is half full guy, that's the luxury of having limited needs on defense.

I don't see the appeal in Bell.

I am all for having a starting FB. We also need a quality blocking TE.

I'd rather sign free agents unless he is so much better than what we can sign.

I'm sorry, it's crazy to have a dogshit QB like Zappe on the roster at all, just so Drake Maye...doesn't play? You drafted him 3 overall. He's going to play this year at some point. If not, you whiffed the draft pick.
There’s a book on Milton and there’s a huge question as to whether he’s capable of running an offense. Otherwise a guy with his abilities would’ve gone 1st in the draft

I don't want Maye to play. The coach doesn't want him to play. You want him to play.

I apologize for mentioning Zappe's name. We should just cut him in a couple of weeks if no one wants to give us a 7th for him. That being said, we have a #3 QB. We have Rourke.

And I don't care what we do with 6th, 7th rounders and UDFA's. Sure, one or two will make the team if they can beat out those competing for the roster spots. IMO, Milton can beat our Rourke or be cut, just like any other draftee drafted in the 5th round or later. I don't see the issue.

There’s a book on Milton and there’s a huge question as to whether he’s capable of running an offense. Otherwise a guy with his abilities would’ve gone 1st in the draft
at least in the 1st round

He's horribly inaccurate, has no touch and can't read a defense. There's not really a question, that's just where he is. But he also has a rocket for an arm, and incredible escapability, and power in his runs.

That's why you keep him.

I don't want Maye to play. The coach doesn't want him to play. You want him to play.
If he can't beat out Brissett at some point this year, there's something very, very wrong.

It has nothing to do with me, or what I want.

I'd have preferred Stover instead of Robinson earlier and then picked someone like Crum in the 7th.

To say that I am left wanting by this draft is an understatement.

They didn't address safety and Dial doesn't have the mobility needed to play outside in the NFL imho. So I don't see how he fits except as a special teamer only
Would you mind please expanding on the mobility piece? Thx.

They kept 4 QBs in 2000 and Brady was 4th best that year,

Bell will compete with Wilcox and Pellway for the position of 3rd TE.

I would expect Milton to be on the Practice Squad if anywhere. I suppose that we could carry a 4th QB as entertainment for the fans. He could run the Scout Team and be inactive in every game.

Folks keep on bringing up Edelman. Well, when Milton or someone else like him can be one of the best punt returners in the NFL, maybe we'll take a few years to develop his talents at a second position.
As the last remaining Zappe-ite, I think his time might be over... or he can take the Pats to the SB. There is no in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back