PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Senior Bowl

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Anyone watch the game ? I look forward to the draft guru’s thoughts on this Messageboard.

I’m no draft guru, but here are some of my thoughts:

I thought both Kenny Pickett and Desmond Ridder were the two best QBs in this game. It was expected, but they both played really well, and I think they both helped their causes. Pre Combine and Pro Day, I think Pickett will be the first QB off the board, Ridder will probably be a 2nd round pick.

I thought the WR Jalen Tolbert out of South Alabama was very noticeable, and TE Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsin looked good. WR’s Calvin Austin III from Memphis and one of my binkies, Christian Watson from NDSU looked very explosive, though they weren’t thrown to often. Watson’s speed caused a long pass interference penalty on Cobey Bryant, the Cincy DB (who I like).

There were a lot of good defensive players that caught my eye. Travis Jones, the DT from Connecticut looked really good collapsing the pocket. Boye Mafe, DE from Minnesota looked good as a pass rusher, Perrion Winfrey, Dlineman from Oklahoma caught my eye, and Jesse Luketa from Penn State had a nice sack.

That’s just a few thoughts I had while watching the game. Please feel free to add your input.

Only watched it for CWatson (and slightly Doubs and maybe CAustinIII who had a bad drop). He was heavily involved in all 3 TDs. 1st 2 he pretty much drew the defense his way and cleared it for TD receptions for RB ASmith and TE TMcBride. For the 1st, the announcers said it was almost like a pick play without making a pick. For the 3rd, he blocked 2 guys at the same time close to the EZ to clear the way for TE Ferguson. If Pickett didn't badly underthrow his one completion to Watson, that was probably going for 6. He was also open a ton, but QBs didn't seem to have the time (and were probably understandably risk averse). Wind also seemed to be a factor, as CStrong's throw intended for Doubs? just died and ended up being an easy INT.

Only other guy of note for me was that ST play from LB Channing Tindall - serious speed there, although he'll probably be remembered for not getting past RB Robinson in practice reps. That Texas mascot brought it and did its job. Enjoyed the announcing - they were harassing the playcallers to get Watson some targets and not sure if it was massively coincidental, but the DPI play with Watson happened right after it.

Edit: This explains the Pickett underthrow:
"It wasn't the route he was supposed to run, but they busted a coverage," Pickett said. "It was supposed to be a corner route, but I kind of adjusted on the fly when I saw him kind of flash his hand real quick. I didn't want to overthrow him, because he was wide open. I just wanted to give him a chance to make a play."

Last edited:
I watched the game and the practices that were available. Every year a player seems to bust out during Senior Bowl week ( Debo S, Aaron Donald to name 2) and this week was no different. The 3 players that really stood out to me were Winfrey, T Jones, Zion Johnson , and Jermaine Johnson. Of the 4 i think Travis Jones would be the best fit for the Pats.
He is very strong and hard to move off his spot and appears to have the quickness to beat a guard thru a gap if asked. After watching him Im wondering if he will be considered as good a prospect as Davis by scouts? Im also wondering if has elevated himself to first round consideration?
IMO the QB class did not help themselves this week which is not good from a Patriots perspective as i really dont see many (if any?) QBs getting picked before 21. I think the only QB who improved his stock is Malik Willis.
Also as a side note, Im loving the LB class and think there will be a number of LBs that fit whay BB looks for in a LB on day 2.

Anyone watch the game ? I look forward to the draft guru’s thoughts on this Messageboard.

I’m no draft guru, but here are some of my thoughts:

I thought both Kenny Pickett and Desmond Ridder were the two best QBs in this game. It was expected, but they both played really well, and I think they both helped their causes. Pre Combine and Pro Day, I think Pickett will be the first QB off the board, Ridder will probably be a 2nd round pick.

I thought the WR Jalen Tolbert out of South Alabama was very noticeable, and TE Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsin looked good. WR’s Calvin Austin III from Memphis and one of my binkies, Christian Watson from NDSU looked very explosive, though they weren’t thrown to often. Watson’s speed caused a long pass interference penalty on Cobey Bryant, the Cincy DB (who I like).

There were a lot of good defensive players that caught my eye. Travis Jones, the DT from Connecticut looked really good collapsing the pocket. Boye Mafe, DE from Minnesota looked good as a pass rusher, Perrion Winfrey, Dlineman from Oklahoma caught my eye, and Jesse Luketa from Penn State had a nice sack.

That’s just a few thoughts I had while watching the game. Please feel free to add your input.
I thought Ridder looked very good. I liked Phadarian Mathis. Christian Watson stood out but wasn't too excited about the other receivers. Boye Mafe looked really good but I'm nervous he might be another Uche up against a tackle that couldn't get out of his stance. Regardless, he was impressive. Jones did push the pocket but thought he was erased on several double teams. Really impressed with 3 running backs. Damien Pierce Florida, Abram Smith Baylor and White, I think of ASU. Couple of LB prospects, Muma Wyoming and Beavers of Cincinnati. Petrie a safety from Baylor looked like a tough box option.

Good listen. I like Jeremiah and @BaconGrundleCandy, I know that you also think highly of Zierlein.

OT Trevor Penning is a mean SOB and big - 6'6" 320. The Pats should take him with their first pick assuming the kid from Alabama is gone.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back