PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 NFL Draft Rumors

This is from my insider. He has a friend that works for the Dolphins. Phins are making a move to trade up to #1 for Burrow. Burrow will pull an Eli if the Bengals draft him.

Here is what I am hearing for the trade(If it actually happens, but doubt it)...

1st overall and Tyler Boyd for Mia 3 first rounder, a 2nd and 4th in 2021

2020 NFL Draft Musings (Monday Buzz)

Latest on Tua Tagovailoa
As we published earlier today on PFN, the father of Tua Tagovailoa will be in Indianapolis to join his son. It’s rare for family members to travel to the Combine due to the lack of access, but Tua and his dad have a close bond.

Also mentioned in our earlier reporting, Tua has an “official 45” meeting with the Redskins.

There are some in the Washington front office who are not sold on Dwayne Haskins, last year’s first-round selection. But this is more about the franchise doing their due diligence than anything else.

First two days of NFL Draft to be loaded with wide receivers?
Right now most NFL general managers expect six receivers to be selected in the first round and a total of 15 off the board by the time the second round is complete – a testament to the strength of the receiver position in this year’s draft.

Who could those 15 receivers be?

Based on my board and coupled with what I’m hearing, the first-round selections include Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, KJ Hamler, Henry Ruggs III, and Laviska Shenault Jr.

After that, it’s a mishmash of receivers with some liking Justin Jefferson or Jalen Reagor or Tee Higgins.

Five more names for round two include Gabe Davis, Bryan Edwards, Quintez Cephus, Denzel Mims, and K.J. Hill. The final two wideouts are wildcards, though I was told at the Senior Bowl that Van Jefferson could pop into the top 60 choices if he runs well.

Remember, though, that this is the belief going into the Combine and much depends on how the receivers test in Indianapolis. And in some cases, like that of Bryan Edwards, it also depends on a prospect’s injury status.

Increasing chatter on the Panthers moving up
There is increasing chatter at the NFL Combine regarding the Carolina Panthers and them making a move up the draft board for the first overall pick. The feeling within some NFL circles is that there is some legitimacy to this rumor.

Memphis RB Patrick Taylor injury update
I previously reported on the situation surrounding Memphis running back Patrick Taylor and his injured foot, which will require a second surgery. Here’s an update.

Taylor will workout at the Combine so scouts can get testing results and will then have surgery after he leaves Indianapolis. His post-surgery rehabilitation will take 4 to 6 months. There is speculation that the initial surgery done on Taylor’s foot last year was not completed properly causing the need for a second operation.

Scouts I talk to believe Taylor has a lot of David Johnson in his game.

2020 NFL Scouting Combine: Latest news & rumors around the NFL | PFN

2020 NFL Draft Musings: Let the Scouting Combine commence! | PFN

Anonymous GM: Jacob Eason Will Climb NFL Draft Boards

"The guy can drop f--king dimes," an anonymous NFC general manager told NFL Network's Mike Silver. "He's an extremely talented passer, and he's gonna rise up the board as the draft gets closer, because people are gonna look at his build and see him throw and go, 'Where (else) am I gonna get a guy like that?'"
An anonymous AFC general manager added: "He's a big guy who's athletic with good arm strength, and he can make all the throws. It would've helped him to stay in school another year—there'd be less uncertainty— but I could see teams liking his traits and projecting him as someone they could develop into a starter."

Anonymous GM: Jacob Eason 'Can Drop F--king Dimes,' Will Climb NFL Draft Boards

Not surprised by the Eason remarks. Has an absolute cannon for an arm. If he improves his processing and touch throws he will be solid.

WR Tyler Johnson, Minnesota

This is from my insider. He has a friend that works for the Dolphins. Phins are making a move to trade up to #1 for Burrow. Burrow will pull an Eli if the Bengals draft him.

Here is what I am hearing for the trade(If it actually happens, but doubt it)...

1st overall and Tyler Boyd for Mia 3 first rounder, a 2nd and 4th in 2021
LMFAO if that’s true. They could have just tanked and saved those picks. I’m sure Dolphins fans will remember and cherish those wins for years to come, though. In related news, I sincerely hope this isn’t true. It would be a pain in the ass to have to play him twice a year.

The latest news and rumors from the NFL Combine (Friday Buzz)

A shift in wide receiver rankings?

Justin Jefferson, Denzel Mims, and Chase Claypool were the big winners from Thursday night’s workout.

Jefferson ran much faster than anyone thought as teams wondered if he was a true vertical threat and he’ll now get consideration in the late part of round one.

Mims capitalized on a great week of Senior Bowl practice with a sensational Combine workout. ...teams were saying if Mims performed well at the Combine, he would move into the second round. That is assured at this point.

Finally, Claypool’s workout from Thursday night is reminiscent of former Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin from a year ago. Entering the draft, some wondered if Boykin would have to move to tight end.

Several teams were also very impressed with Michael Pittman Jr., who could now move into the draft’s top 60.

On the contrary, there were also several prospects who disappointed at the 2020 NFL Combine. Let’s begin with CeeDee Lamb. Teams leave the Combine with as many questions about his speed as they had when they arrived in Indianapolis.

Additionally, Laviska Shenault Jr. will now struggle to find a spot in the first round. He not only ran poorly but also got injured. This has been a prevalent issue for almost two years now.

And while some may think that Jalen Reagor slipped out of the first round, don’t throw dirt on those possibilities just yet. Reagor’s times on Thursday night were disappointing – no doubt – but he was also 14 pounds heavier than his playing weight.

Last season, Reagor played between 192-195 pounds. However, he weighed in a musclebound 206 pounds at the Combine. I’m told in the weeks leading up to the Combine, Reagor posted a laser time of 4.32 seconds at 195 pounds.

TCU’s pro day hits the calendar in late March, around the 27th of the month. While everyone will be watching Reagor’s testing times, be sure to also keep a close eye on his weight.

Latest buzz on the offensive linemen (Friday Buzz)
The offensive linemen take to the field at Lucas Oil Stadium this evening and here are the expectations of teams after the interviews and spending significant time with the blockers.

Boise State tackle Ezra Cleveland continues to move up draft boards, as I expected he would. He completed 30 reps on the bench press yesterday and just missed finishing rep number 31. Expect fast times from Cleveland today, as he could potentially get under 4.9 seconds. Speaking with several people, it seems the Cleveland Browns like Cleveland (no pun intended) a lot. I could see the Browns trading a few slots down in round one if one of their higher-rated tackles is not available when they are on the clock to then select the Boise State junior. Cleveland won’t be available to the Browns in the second round.

Presently, Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs are drawing high praise from several teams who have them one-two on their tackle board. Moving in the other direction is Jedrick Wills, as teams are concerned about his ability to mentally process a complex blocking scheme. Some teams now project Wills to guard.

Center Keith Ismael is drawing praise and his goal is to hit 30-30-30 before the draft; 30 on the Wonderlic, 30 reps on the bench, and 30-inches on the vertical jump.

What the NFL Thinks of the Six First-Round QB Prospects

Joe Burrow, r-Sr., LSU
Years as starter: 2
Notable number: 60-6 TD/INT ratio in 2019.
Highest individual honor: 2019 Heisman Trophy
Team success: 2019 National Champion

What the evaluators say …

AFC coordinator 1: “He’s one of the most accurate quarterbacks I’ve ever graded. You can say he had great players around him, but he put the ball in places where his receivers never have to break stride. It’s a gift. His guys are always moving forward with the ball. And his pocket movement is really natural, how he slides, moves, he has natural feel for the pocket.”

AFC coordinator 2: “His decision-making, he just did a really good job of taking what was there. His arm strength, people talk about that, it’s plenty strong enough. Just watching him, he’s a complete guy that’s ready. I’m not sure he’s in the Andrew Luck category, but he’s pretty damn close. … [The one-year breakthrough] always does raise a red flag. However, the tape is so good, it’s hard to think it was a fluke, all the things he did well against that competition.”

NFC exec 1: “He does need help. He’s not a guy who’s going to lift a team on his shoulders where you say, ‘We’re not gonna be a contender if not for him.’ He needs a line, needs receivers. I heard he said he wants A.J. [Green] to stay. Well, he’s got A.J. and needs A.J. He’s not a guy who’ll do it himself. But there’s not a Luck in this draft.”

NFC exec 2: “He’s everything you think of in terms of a coach’s son. He runs practice like another coach, so he’ll come in with those intangibles. I think he’ll command respect early because of how he prepares. He was raised like that, competitive as hell, doesn’t like to miss a minute of practice, doesn’t want to waste a minute of practice. He’ll make every minute, every rep count. And it’d be one thing if he was at a Big Ten school, but to be from where he’s from, go there, best ball in the country, and be the Alpha in that program is impressive.”

Tua Tagovailoa, Jr., Alabama
Years as starter: 2
Notable number: 199.4 career passer rating
Highest individual honor: 2018 Heisman Trophy runner-up
Team success: 2017 National Champion

What the evaluators say …

NFC exec 3: “He’s a little more twitched up than Joe. He’s a good athlete. He’s also very accurate. He was really good over multiple seasons, so he got that over Burrow – really two full seasons at a high level. He’s got a good arm, maybe better than Burrow, still not great. He’s extremely instinctive. And he’s an outstanding leader, takes all the criticism, deflects all the praise. Can extend plays, very accurate. The negative is durability. I think he’s back there throwing 7-on-7 a lot, and there is pressure, you do see a little dropoff.”

AFC QBs coach: “He may have had similar numbers to Burrow if he hadn’t gotten hurt. He also has really good dudes around him, like Joe. But as a player, he’s really clean, really a smooth player—clean feet, clean delivery, he resets really well, gets in proper alignment for his throws after resetting. And he’s really good with his eyes, he can move a safety, look down a defender to throw over the defense.. The ball’s out quick. He has a nice, tight stroke, the accuracy’s really good, he plays with two hands on the ball in the pocket. I think he’s a pretty darn good player.”

NFC exec 4: “Accuracy, processing, getting rid of the ball quick, that’s all there. … [Durability] is a big concern. He doesn’t get out of trouble well. And when he does, he holds ball until the last second, and takes shots. Most shots he’s taking are because he’s waiting for the next progression to get open, and he trusts his line. In fact, on the play he got hurt, he should’ve gotten rid of the ball way sooner. He’s a competitor. So, it’s a strength, but it’s a weakness.”

AFC coordinator 1: “God, his quickness and his setup is pretty outstanding. The best word, and I don’t like it at all the time, is he’s pretty twitchy. His setup and delivery are very fast, but never out of control. He anticipates well, throws it accurate. He has great receivers and does the same thing Burrow does with that—he puts it in a spot where they can take it and take off, and allows them to use their pure talent. … He’s such a violent thrower, you wonder what the hip injury will do to that; that’s the question I’d have for him.”

Justin Herbert, Sr., Oregon
Years as starter: 4
Notable number: 10,541 career passing yards
Highest individual honor: 2017 First-Team Academic All-American
Team success: 2020 Rose Bowl champion

NFC exec 2: “He was my favorite guy from Day 1. Every test, he passed [in Indy]—6-6, 236, runs 4.6, big frame, huge arm, four-year career. You don’t have the concern there you had with Burrow about one-year production. Senior bowl MVP, Rose Bowl MVP, Pac-12 champion, smart as hell. He’s not the culture changer, fire-breather, but how many guys are now? In terms of a guy that checks every box, he’s got it. … You have to get him under center, that’ll be where his strength is. It took [Jared] Goff time; he’d never been in huddle, never called a play either. So there could be bumps, yeah. But he’s smart enough, athletic enough, has no hesitation to learn to play under center. I’m telling you, I can’t remember what his major was, but the kid’s like a scientist. He’s just very smart. Nothing football-wise is difficult for him.”

NFC exec 3: “I’m not a huge fan. In terms of create-a-player, that’s your guy. He’s a little bit like Brady Quinn, good and bad. The arm strength, athleticism, size, it’s how you’d draw them up. He did well at the end of the year, won the games at the end, and you love to see that. But in terms of being a natural thrower, he’s not natural, I thought he struggled at the Senior Bowl learning how to take a drop. He has things to improve. All the physical stuff is there, he’s just not a real natural thrower. And I haven’t seen the ‘it’ factor.”

AFC coordinator 1: “His tape is tough to watch. I’m not sure the offense fit his skillset. He should be good in the NFL playing under center off play-action and getting the ball down the field. He’s that type of player. I don’t think they did that much at Oregon, it didn’t feel like it ever fit his skillset. And in the same sense, there were throws you cringe at, like, ‘Come on, man.’ The tape’s not nearly as clean as the other two. But the other two are throwing to what’ll probably be a total of six or seven first-round receivers when all those guys come through. Those two are the best players on the best teams, with the best guys catching pass. You look at Oregon, you don’t see the same talent, especially in the guys catching passes.”

AFC coordinator 2: “I like him a lot, really smart. … Stuff that comes with new system, he can pick up quickly—that’s a strength. His arm is elite, up there at the top with anyone, maybe not [Aaron Rodgers], but can throw every ball, can go far hash to near sideline. I was impressed with his accuracy, how he got through progression, he’d get to no. 3, and rip it right on the facemask. And he has an ability to run better than most people think. His wiggle’s not great, but he can see the hole and chew up yards … The glaring thing: He’s never under center, so with his footwork, he does have tendency to be robotic, segmenting in his drop, but he can clean that up. He’s a quiet kid; he’ll have to overcome that.”
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/05/gms-coaches-scouts-breakdown-first-round-qb-draft-prospects

What the NFL Thinks of the Six First-Round QB Prospects

Jordan Love, r-Jr., Utah State

Years as starter: 3
Notable number: 32-6 TD/INT in 2018, 20-17 TD-INT in 2019
Highest individual honor: 2018 Second-Team All-Mountain West
Team success: 2018 New Mexico Bowl Champions

NFC Exec 4: “He’s highly talented, a prototype. I have serious concerns about his instincts, his processing ability. I’m not sure what the staff there was thinking. It’s the first time in my career as an evaluator where I’ve seen a coach that leaves, and a new staff comes in, and hires an OC, and allows the kid to keep same offense instead of putting in a different system without keeping any coaches. The OC was never comfortable calling plays in that system. … It was horrible, his season was horrible, and I’m having a hard time seeing whether it was the kid or the coaches deciding to go with the same system … the OC calling plays in a system he’s never run, with not one coach there that could teach the offense. It’s an incredibly hard thing. It’s asking, what do you believe?”

NFC Exec 1: “He’s a really difficult guy to do. A year ago, I liked him—quick release, strong arm, athletic. He’s a good kid—made a mistake late in year, but there’s not a problem with his character. But there are a lot of little things to playing better at the position. It’s decision-making, calls at the line, processing quicker, not forcing ball. There’s a lot of his game that needs to be cleaned up. He’s very talented. I wouldn’t trust him in Year 1. I wish he went back to develop it, because there’s no doubt he has talent. I’m not buying he’s a first-round pick.”

NFC Exec 2: “You are what you put on tape, and sometimes you have to overcome the coaching. If he’s that talented, he should make up for some of that—lots of successful QBs overcome poor coaching, and bad circumstances. … And to compare him to Mahomes, oh my God, it’s a disservice to the kid. I don’t understand where that came from. He’s a nice passer, a smooth athlete. Mahomes lit the world on fire. I never once thought that of Love. I was jumping out of seat watching Mahomes at Texas Tech.”

AFC QBs coach: “The big concern is the picks and it shows up in how he plays. The positives are there’s real arm talent, he can drive it, but he also turns the ball over way too much. The midrange stuff over the safety, he’ll stare down reads—just stares it down—and he relies on his arm too much. But if you can corral this kid, he has ability, he really does. He needs development. I think low-floor, high-ceiling, but what he shows on film, there are some things you can’t coach. He has that gunslinger mentality, makes off-platform throws, throws off his back foot. He’s got the arm talent to do it. He needs time and coaching and development.”

Jacob Eason, r-Jr., Washington
Years as starter: 2 (1 at Georgia)
Notable number: 3 rushing yards in 2019
Highest individual honor: 2015 Gatorade National High School Player of the Year
Team success: 2019 Las Vegas Bowl champion

NFC Exec 1: “Love the size, love the arm strength … [but] accuracy, ball placement, and his ability to get away from people is a problem. But he makes throws other guys can’t make. A lot of inconsistency, he’s another guy I’d have liked to have seen gone back to school. He’s big, strong, has the arm, so how does [Jake] Fromm beat him out? … He’s not as mobile, not as athletic as Herbert. But he has as good an arm, just on pure arm strength. Herbert has better feel and touch. This guy is fastballs all the time. … Yeah, he’s gotta grow up, has to become a pro, he’d be best coming in behind a guy. His work habits, his study habits have to improve. He’s a good kid, a smart enough kid, who had a great time in college.”

NFC Exec 4: “I’m not a big fan. I don’t think he has quarterback makeup. Look, he doesn’t process information, doesn’t go through his progressions well. A big-time arm talent, like the other two (Herbert/Love), but he’s third—behind Herbert and Love. He’ll make big throws. I just question the makeup: work ethic, study habits, leadership, partying too much. If he’s not the guy, I don’t know if he’ll work at it. He barely won the job this year. At the start of camp, he had to fight to be named starter, and half the team wanted the other guy. … He’ll get overdrafted.”

AFC QBs coach: “He looks and feels like the traditional pocket passer. He doesn’t have great feel, doesn’t have great movement. He’s got dead feet. But he can rip throws, he can drive that ball coming off the mound. Instead of pushing forward, he plays with a soft back foot—he goes backwards when he feels pressure, you’ll have to correct that, and part of it is probably that he feels like he can just rip the ball. … His most impressive plays are when the pocket’s clean. When he’s protected, he can do it. But to me, if you don’t have a strong feel, these types of guys, they show up great when you get them in shorts, in 7-on-7s, OTAs, they’ll throw it all over. Then you get them into preseason and you say, ‘he’s regressing.’ Well, no, he’s not, it’s a different game. … Several other guys have fluidity. It feels like he has a stiff game.”

Jake Fromm, Jr., Georgia
Years as starter: 3
Notable number: 78-18 TD-INT ratio, 42 career starts
Highest individual honor: 2017 SEC Freshman of the Year
Team success: Three-time SEC East champion, 2017 national runner-up

NFC Exec 3: “His combine wasn’t very good, but what you get is a great leader, he’s got all the characteristics off the field of a great quarterback. He’s a quick decision-maker, tough, accurate. He just doesn’t have the arm talent, he doesn’t have the lower-body or upper-body strength to make all the throws. If you combine Eason with him, you’d have the No. 1 pick. He’s a really good player, it’s just the size and arm talent holds him back. … There’s a ton to be said for beating out Eason and [Justin] Fields, even though he’s just not on the talent level of those guys. But he’d be a great backup for anyone. If he wants to, he’ll play in the league for 15 years.”

NFC Exec 4: “Beating out Eason and Fields matters to me. Those two were highly, highly recruited players. Jake Fromm outworked both of them, he could handle the volume of the offense, the players loved him—he’ll get along with anyone in any room. Go to the DB room, the receiver room, the offensive line room, it’s all the same, they love him. When I was up there the night before I came in on my two visits, at 9 o’clock, he was still in there. He’d tell you, I’ll stay there ’til they kick me out. … Probably as good a quarterback makeup as I’ve seen since Andrew Luck. … He’ll be somewhere between a really good backup and a good, average starter. He won’t get to you to the Super Bowl, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he winds up there somehow. I’d take him over some others. You know exactly what you’re getting.”

AFC Coordinator 1: “If you wanna bet on a guy, bet on him. He won’t let himself fail. He’s like a Case Keenum, a Colt McCoy, those guys that, at worst, are 12-year NFL backups. He has that makeup, where he’s damn near like a coach. He knows what to do, and guys gravitate to him. Kellen Moore was like that—Kellen was incredible at Boise, and he couldn’t get to the next level as a player, but was very solid NFL backup, and probably still could be.”

NFC Exec 2: “I could see him being the guy that has a nice year with talent around him, and then the next year he disappears. I could see that kind of career. He has what you always want—smart, tough, accurate—and all the intangibles you wish Eason had. But can he make the throws? If you’re Jon Gruden, and you have all that volume, he might appeal to you. … The behind-the-scenes stuff, work ethic, attitude, that’s gonna give him a 10-year career. Look at Chase Daniel, he won’t go away because of all those intangibles. And he’ll play well, in the right situation. But if he’s your starter, you’re trying to get better.”

Jalen Hurts, Sr., Oklahoma
More than one of these guys mentioned how, despite having limited arm talent, he has a chip on his shoulder, and intangibles, and all of that could position him well to go to a place where the starter has a similar skill set—which would buy him time to continue the development he enjoyed last year playing for Lincoln Riley.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/05/gms-coaches-scouts-breakdown-first-round-qb-draft-prospects

LMFAO if that’s true. They could have just tanked and saved those picks. I’m sure Dolphins fans will remember and cherish those wins for years to come, though. In related news, I sincerely hope this isn’t true. It would be a pain in the ass to have to play him twice a year.
You do realize players never TRY to tank. It’s a fan made process. Coaches and players ALWAYS want to win.

Miami reportedly looking at love.

are they suspecting someone taking tua ahead of them?

Is this a legitimate sort
He's the man (as was his dad before him) behind Pro Football Weekly; so if he's saying it, then he heard it from someone very high up in the decision-making process.

QB, James Morgan, FIU
In addition to Hoyer, New England could add a signal-caller in the draft. According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, the team has some level of interest in James Morgan out of Florida International.

Morgan started his collegiate career at Bowling Green State and then transferred to FIU, where he threw for 2,727 yards, 26 touchdowns and seven interceptions during his junior campaign.

The 6'4", 229-pound signal-caller flashes a strong arm, but he doesn't have the smooth throwing mechanics and footwork to warrant early-round consideration. Perhaps the Patriots see those as correctable flaws.

Nonetheless, if New England wants someone who's not afraid to throw downfield, Morgan is the guy to choose on Day 3 of the draft.
Patriots Rumors: Latest Buzz on Jarrett Stidham, Potential 2020 Draft QB Targets

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back