PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 QB class

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I hate to look so far ahead but this I think is an important thing to bring up. Brissett I think will be okay but i don't believe he can be a franchise guy and if/when the Pats trade or lose Jimmy they will need a new QB to the heir.

The 2018 QB class is likely our best shot. At least 3-4 legit QB talents are in this class.

Luke Fulk, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield are the guys that jump out but there could be more. This is the year i think we use a first rounder on a QB to try to get someone or even trade up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The fact this class looks like it can be so good (reminds me a lot of Jimmy's class) and Brady seems safe to play at least 1-2 more years is why I am okay with trading Jimmy G. Thoughts?

I really like the comparison to the Jimmy class, except I imagine that Rosen ends up being the clear top pick in the draft (compared to Bortles).

One name left off that list, who I like a lot is Jake Browning, who should be on a very good Washington team again next year.

Baker Mayfield is definitely this draft class version of Manziel. All the talent, but there will be lots of question marks.

I really like the comparison to the Jimmy class, except I imagine that Rosen ends up being the clear top pick in the draft (compared to Bortles).

One name left off that list, who I like a lot is Jake Browning, who should be on a very good Washington team again next year.

Baker Mayfield is definitely this draft class version of Manziel. All the talent, but there will be lots of question marks.

Manziel comparison? Well that sounds juicy. I wonder who will take him if that is the case. It will make it more likely someone we actually want falls to us.

If Brady plans to play 4 more years as a Patriot then Brissett will time out just as Garoppolo seems to have.

If they actually trade Garoppolo . meaning the price will be high . the best trade partner for Pats (not so much for Jimmy) would be Cleveland by far in this 2018 QB context. This year's #33 and next 1st (with expectations that Browns will need more than 1 yr to turn it around, esp. without veteran core) could mean they're going for this.

But who knows what are BBs evaluations. They showed a lot of love for Brissett and maybe they think they could ride with him (a different ride altogether of course).

I really want them to grab Chad Kelly this year so in that case we wouldnt need a 2018 QB unless we are trading Brisket for picks

This is why I'm hoping for a 2018 #1 from Chicago or SF for JG and whatever extra this year. I don't think we'll be QB needy in 12 months but in case something unexpected happens it would be nice to have two #1s next year with one likely being Top 15. I think Brady will be fine and they'll still like Brissett but just in case.

Sam Darnold will be a RS soph next season. I think he has a good chance of being the best QB potentially available.
He was pretty amazing in the bowl game.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back