PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Tight Ends For Patriots

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Jeremiah Sprinkle on tape this Guy plays just like Bennett. Willing Blocker and maybe better than regarded pass catcher. I think he would be a solid day 2 or 3 selection who could contribute from day 1.

Jordan Leggett this guy potentially could be just as good as the Tops at the position. Should be better in line blocker for size but pro coaching could fix that. He was victimized by bad QB play If Watson is the #1 Rated QB:rolleyes: Jimmy G is worth the #1 overall. Leggett can line up all over the place and have good hands. He could be add on Day 2 or 3.

Michael Roberts this guy is Big and have Mitts for hands Biggest hands you'll ever see moves well for his size too. Could be add in the 5th even 6th diamond in rough. BB drafted from Toledo before.

Pharoah Brown...Marcus Mariota threw to Brown a lot before he left Oregon. Brown is solid looks the part and I think he's going to test really well. Off field issues could push him all the way to the 7th Round.:D

Scott Orndoff played in Pro Style Offense at Pittsburgh not the fastest or most athletic but solid non the less. Lethal off Play Action knows how to find soft spots in zone. Orndoff reminds me of the Out law Jesse James in Pittsburgh. Will make Team that selects him happy.

Phazahn Odom wow this guy is not perfect but he has correctable flaws. Odom is Gifted with what you can't teach Size And Speed he's going to be a Steal who will contribute right off the bat a match up nightmare.

Adam Shaheen wow! see Odom above.

Any of these guys paired with Gronk will make our Offense similar or better minus Bennett. 2017 is Great year to draft future TE.

Midwest - Manx would love your write ups on some of these guys. You both are the best in the business.

Good names that have differing roles they can fill on our roster

I think it's worth breaking down the different TEs in to different lists, for the different roles they can play

Inline
Howard
Roberts
Butt
Sprinkle
Brown
Kittle
Culkin
McNamara
Jarwin
Swopes

Flex
Njoku
Leggett
Hodges
Hikutini
Shaheen
Odom

H back/big wideout
engran
Everett
Jonnu smith
Freeman
Auclair

There is obviously some room to move players in to other categories based on talent level (njoku and Howard being the obvious ones), but that's my basic breakdown for now.

There should be a write up on all these guys on here at some place, but might be good to solidify them in to a single location.

Good job Fletch putting them in their respective categories. I am a sucker for Inline TE Prospects. Of course I can live with the Flex TE's. Not a fan of those Beefed up HB/Big WR TE types that is taking Gronk's injury History into account.

Good job Fletch putting them in their respective categories. I am a sucker for Inline TE Prospects. Of course I can live with the Flex TE's. Not a fan of those Beefed up HB/Big WR TE types that is taking Gronk's injury History into account.

I am with you on that. I think we see gronk split out more and more with less blocking responsibilities, making an online blocker one of the more crucial roles to fill this offseason.

It could be just bringing back Bennett, or they could double dip and come out with one of each.

I like Roberts and Brown the best for us after the big names. Kittle would be great if we just want a blocker, and leggett/hikutini if we want someone who has the size to slide inside and get coached up on blocking.

Shaheen, odom and auclair probably have the highest ceilings for the wildcard picks, but will probably need the most work. No idea how their skills will transfer at this point

Fletch...just saw and read some stuff on George Kittle who was just Blowing DE's off the line he's a tenacious Blocker at the point of attack. And maybe underrated as a pass catcher Iowa is not afraid to Run on 3rd and 10.:D Kittle is going to be a Beast on misdirections and Delays.

Cole Hukutini he's such a natural pass catcher with soft hands and moves very well.Hukutini is going to be a TD machine at the next level. This TE class will be one for the ages.

Last edited:
Fletch...just saw and read some stuff on George Kittle who was just Blowing DE's off the line he's a tenacious Blocker at the point of attack. And maybe underrated as a pass catcher Iowa is not afraid to Run on 3rd and 10.:D Kittle is going to be a Beast on misdirections and Delays.

Cole Hukutini he's such a natural pass catcher with soft hands and moves very well.Hukutini is going to be a TD machine at the next level. This TE class will be one for the ages.

Kittle will assuredly be on our board. coached up by one of belichicks favourite college coaches.

Hikutini looks to fit perfectly in the Pitta/Tamme/Daniels mould. Those guys that always kill us when our safeties aren't quite big enough and our lbs aren't quite athletic enough.

Can't imagine BB would ever entertain Sprinkle as an option after his moronic shoplifting arrest. He shoplifted from the Bowl game's sponsor, for less money than the gift card included in the players' swag bags. Too braindead to play here.

Im a huge Jeremy Sprinkle fan, would love to get him.

Since Howard is probably off the table Id take Leggett at the moment. He looks like the most complete TE after OJ and ready to play day 1.

Shaheen certainly is intriguing, incredible combo of size&speed, a monster on tape but hard to evaluate with no real competition.

Thanks for Kittle. Now this guy is a football player.

I wouldn't mind taking 2 TEs this year. (Or 1 pick and 1-2 UDFAs)

Its such an uncertain position for Pats going forward no matter how Bennett's FA plays out. And not much on FA market..

Can't imagine BB would ever entertain Sprinkle as an option after his moronic shoplifting arrest. He shoplifted from the Bowl game's sponsor, for less money than the gift card included in the players' swag bags. Too braindead to play here.

Saw that too had me Laughing:D on a serious note watching him on tape is like watching Bennett in our Offense. Sprinkle runs the same delays and misdirections very rarely does he line up in the Slot mostly Inline his frame could carry a lot more weight too.

Last edited:
...I like Roberts and Brown the best for us after the big names...
If by Brown you mean Pharaoh Brown, I wouldn't use even a 7th-rounder on him.
Perhaps as a UDFA signing, but even that would depend on what other TEs are available post-draft.

If by Brown you mean Pharaoh Brown, I wouldn't use even a 7th-rounder on him.
Perhaps as a UDFA signing, but even that would depend on what other TEs are available post-draft.

He has a lot of red flags on him for sure. From strictly a prototype, he's the best in the draft. But, between the lockerroom issues and the gruesome knee injury and recovery, there are legitimate risks around him.

I think he's a 5th and later type pick, but agree that it depends on who else is still on the board. I think Kittle is the cleaner prospect, and Roberts even more so.

Guys here is something that makes you go Hmmmm. In the 2013 Draft Cincinnati Drafted TE Tyler Eifert in the First Round. Kansas City Chiefs Drafted TE Travis Kelce in the 3rd Round same Draft from College Cincinnati.o_O Both are very good players but I prefer Kelce 24/7 the moral of story pay attention to guys in your backyard.

Pats sign TE Rob Housler to future contract
TE Mike Williams was blocking TE 2 years ago and he is coming from injury
TE Greg Scruggs. Placed on IR. Converted from DE, blocker like Mike wiliams.
TE Lengel. He was probably Gronk injury insurance signing, but maybe they see something in him
Pats sign Glenn Gronkowski to future contract. Is he more like James Develin replacement, PS candidate if Develin goes down, or maybe they are trying to develop him.
I still think that Marty Bennet showed with Jimmy how he is good catching football, i dont know why he didnt connect with Brady like with Jimmy. I dont have a good feeling they ll sign him. Probably he ll join his brother in Seattle.

Pats sign TE Rob Housler to future contract
TE Mike Williams was blocking TE 2 years ago and he is coming from injury
TE Greg Scruggs. Placed on IR. Converted from DE, blocker like Mike wiliams.
TE Lengel. He was probably Gronk injury insurance signing, but maybe they see something in him
Pats sign Glenn Gronkowski to future contract. Is he more like James Develin replacement, PS candidate if Develin goes down, or maybe they are trying to develop him.
I still think that Marty Bennet showed with Jimmy how he is good catching football, i dont know why he didnt connect with Brady like with Jimmy. I dont have a good feeling they ll sign him. Probably he ll join his brother in Seattle.

I think him and brady connected well enough and he probably could have had a bigger year if he didnt get hurt and wasnt asked to block so much.

But ive been looking at a few prospects and i like a lot of them but i think i have been comparing them to hernandez which is unfair. Hernandez had a way of being able to make defenders miss when the ball was in his hands. I dont know if i would want a TE with our first pick but as of right now im torn on njoku and howard.

I would love to see bb sign Ryan griffin from Houston. This guy is really good at getting open down field, but because osweiler sucks, he never gets good balls to catch. He could be a good move te for us.

Sign him and let him run deep seam routes, keep gronkowski in to block and maybe gronkowski can make it through a whole year healthy.

Then unleash gronkowski down field in the playoffs and catch everybody off guard, hopefully gronkowski can stay healthy for three straight games over four weeks.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back