PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 1st Rnd picks for Deion

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 to be 4 said:
this is just like the Ty Law situation after 2003. Branch is not going anywhere. And if hes stupid enough to sit out the season then they are just as well off letting him walk.

Wrong.
If he sits out the Pats will FRANCHISE him next year and trade him before the draft. It would be very stupid to just let him walk when they have the bucks to franchise his ass.

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:
Do you have a mouse in your pocket? If not who exactly is 'we'??

Who says the success of our players isnt the system? I think this board more than any fan group in the NFL understands the success of the Patriots is based on their system, coaching and philosophy. Does it sound familiar that once or twice, or 999,222,245,255,254,632,456 times fans on this board have talked about the Patriots and TEAM?

The question of whether other players could succeed in our system is extremely valid. Our system is DIFFERENT than most teams. At LB for example, since we play a 2gap system LBs must be larger, stronger, and not necessarily as fast as ones that succeed elsewhere. Its ludicrous to say that the 225 lb LBs that are succeeding in other one gap systems could do well here because they would be asked to something totally different than what they succeeded at and to do something they are physical not stout enough to do. Same goes for one gap DEs who run away from OL. Have you watched Freeney come out of his stance spinning and spinning 2-3 times. He would not be allowed to do that in a 2gap system (and he does it on run downs as well). It is incredulous to think that a guy who thinks of nothing but rushing the passer could have even close to as much success playing in a system that dictates him first move would be to ENGAGE a blocker. Now, perhaps Freeney could make it as an OLB here, but he would be no more useful at DE in our 34 than Rodney Harrison would be.

You must have been on some strong cough medicine when you typed this one, because you said 'we' believe 2 things that I have yet to see anyone but you type, then ended with a comment that is just so far from accurate you couldnt have thought before you typed.

Good grief, AJ, take a chill pill, will ya? For one example of what I was talking about - when speculation has arisen recently about Branch being more a product of the BB and Brady 'system' plenty of posters have stated they felt Branch would succeed or even excel further in other 'systems.' WE, being the loyal fans WE are, are inclined to favorably assess our players, no? Conversely, and quite naturally, we doubt the potential success of an opposing player if they played on our team. Just look at how many posters have questioned how Reggie Wayne would perform if he were on the Pats.

As for my closing comment - I think it's fairly accurate (You mustn't have noticed my recognition of BB's ideal player shapes). Maroney is nothing like Dillon or Antwoin Smith, or the 'big back' BB supposedly favors, yet BB spent a first rounder on him. Why? Because he has real talent. Garrett Mills isn't bulit like Graham, Watson can't block like Graham and Thomas isn't as fast Watson, yet all these guys were picked for success by Belichick. Are you trying to suggest that BB wouldn't have picked Ellis Hobbs if he were 6' 2" instead of 5' 9"? As for Patriot the personality that makes up a 'Patriot type'? Who knew that an apparent malcontent like Dillon would settle down like he has, or that a guy Belichick deemed worthy of second round pick like Bethel wouldn't work out?

My point here is merely that talent as much anything has to do with our players success and that talent at certain positions may not come in exactly the same shapes and sizes. Have a nice day!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents