PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zay Flowers to NE “worst kept secret in the league”

One Guy that really intrigues me is Jaylin Hyatt I think the Team that gets him is getting heck of game breaker. Hyatt's game speed is off the charts you can see it he plays at a different speed if he's around in the Second the Team who Drafts him have a steal on their hands. I know the knock on him is his somewhat limited route tree but I think hat's coachable you can't teach his gifted speed and OC BOB saw it up-close first hand.

The limited route tree the one year breakout and the wr friendly offense is why I don’t have him on my board.

He didn’t test as well as one would hope for.

What do you think of Tennessee's Hendon Hooker?

He’s intriguing, they say his football IQ Is off the charts he’s learned multiple offensive systems.

He is a very good athlete in the open field.

Coming off a big injury and is a bit older than one world
Prefer.

I have him

Below McKee

But in Groh and Wolf I trust.

Even though I like what I have read and viewed about Zay Flowers, I would be really surprised if he is drafted by the Patriots at slot #14.
I wouldn't I love his cat quickness Sammy hope we are doing well.:)

What do you think of Tennessee's Hendon Hooker?
I like Hooker a lot also, he's tall and has good size. He's accurate and throws downfield.

He's coming off injury so if they had a shot at him in the 3rd for example and wanted to sit him his rookie year to see what Mac and Zappe produce, it could be a smart move.

I like Hooker a lot also, he's tall and has good size. He's accurate and throws downfield.

He's coming off injury so if they had a shot at him in the 3rd for example and wanted to sit him his rookie year to see what Mac and Zappe produce, it could be a smart move.
I am think more Second Round Hooker is an older mature Prospect love his release and focus downfield he's not afraid of the pass rush. Anytime you get chance to get a decent QB prospect with Upside you Draft them.

The way it usually goes is this:
  1. 1) The Patriots trade down from 14 and hope that their guy is there at 20.
  2. 2) Some other team jumps in and takes their guy.
  3. 3) The Patriots are in a quandary since there is no one available that they rate as 20-worthy.
  4. 4) The Patriots try to trade down again and cannot find any partners.
  5. 5) The Patriots panic and make a reach for someone like Cole Strange.

How was Cole Strange a reach when numerous teams had a 1st/2nd round grade on him? Why do people like yourself insist on ignoring that FACT?

I am think more Second Round Hooker is an older mature Prospect love his release and focus downfield he's not afraid of the pass rush. Anytime you get chance to get a decent QB prospect with Upside you Draft them.
Yeah... I just don't see a massive need with Mac and Zappe.

If he fell a little further like the 3rd you'd have to start considering him based on value alone. A lot of teams might have a problem assuming he isn't ready to start the 2023 season or with his age, that could move him down the board.

I think the Pats should keep drafting rookie QB's until they're satisfied at the position, there are other young QB's in this draft class... the problem with many of them is size, for whatever reason there is an abundance of undersized QB's in this draft. I don't want another later round rookie QB if he's 5'10." This is why I like the Tyson Bagent kid from Sheperd U, he has good size, production, accuracy and his division 2 pedigree will push him down later in the draft.

Bagent is this years Zappe, Purdy. Decorated kid that passes Parcells old model for QB's (3 year starter, 2/1, senior, win 75% of your games, start 30 et) or he's very close.

Actually very similar in a lot of ways. I think more Zappe. Arm talent is there in some respects but limited in others. He got very nice poise and a ton of confidence (can only imagine he gets that from his Dad) Very comfortable moving inside the pocket. Some times a little too comfortable. Very productive. Very comfortable moving, buying time and working the short/intermediate parts of the field. I saw a lot of poise and game management pluses at times and others very inconsistent.

He's a project but someone you'd feel comfortable gambling on. He's all in on football and loves to play. Obviously has one of the more accomplished, athletic fathers out there. Who had an arm touched by the gods. You can see the "readiness" in his game in some areas even though he is a project.

I would take a shot in the 4th if you really like him.

If he fell a little further like the 3rd you'd have to start considering him based on value alone. A lot of teams might have a problem assuming he isn't ready to start the 2023 season or with his age, that could move him down the board.

I think the Pats should keep drafting rookie QB's until they're satisfied at the position, there are other young QB's in this draft class... the problem with many of them is size, for whatever reason there is an abundance of undersized QB's in this draft. I don't want another later round rookie QB if he's 5'10." This is why I like the Tyson Bagent kid from Sheperd U, he has good size, production, accuracy and his division 2 pedigree will push him down later in the draft.
Nice sleeper guy there in Tyson Bagent one QB I like that seems like nobody is talking about is Houston's Clayton Tune yeah he was throwing to guys who get excellent separation but I love his deep ball touch and running ability. The Patriots are familiar with the School. :cool:

Bagent is this years Zappe, Purdy. Decorated kid that passes Parcells old model for QB's (3 year starter, 2/1, senior, win 75% of your games, start 30 et) or he's very close.

Actually very similar in a lot of ways. I think more Zappe. Arm talent is there in some respects but limited in others. He got very nice poise and a ton of confidence (can only imagine he gets that from his Dad) Very comfortable moving inside the pocket. Some times a little too comfortable. Very productive. Very comfortable moving, buying time and working the short/intermediate parts of the field. I saw a lot of poise and game management pluses at times and others very inconsistent.

He's a project but someone you'd feel comfortable gambling on. He's all in on football and loves to play. Obviously has one of the more accomplished, athletic fathers out there. Who had an arm touched by the gods. You can see the "readiness" in his game in some areas even though he is a project.

I would take a shot in the 4th if you really like him.
Brother what your take on Houston's QB Clayton Tune?

The Pats like a QB from this bunch I am sure they are not going in with only Two Guys but which one that Tyson Bagent kid seems very intriguing.

Nice sleeper guy there in Tyson Bagent one QB I like that seems like nobody is talking about is Houston's Clayton Tune yeah he was throwing to guys who get excellent separation but I love his deep ball touch and running ability. The Patriots are familiar with the School. :cool:
I like Tune as well, kid threw a lot of TD's and completed a high percentage of his passes and at 6-2 220 pounds has the size you want.

Tyson Bagent is still my favorite late round pick smaller school guy but there are others. Tim DeMorat out of Fordham has good size at 6-4 219 pounds and showed out his senior season at a lower level. Holton Ahlers from East Carolina is 6-3 237 pounds and was named player of the game at the Hula Bowl, he was very good in college. Reece Udinski from Richmond is 6-4 224 pounds and was really accurate in college.

Some really really small school guys... some if not all of these guys will be UDFA's who might get a tryout with a team. Cooper Callis from S.W. Baptist is 6-2 215 pounds and was the division two player of the year. Noah Mitchell from California (PA) is a legit 6-3 225 pounds who passed well. Chance Fuller from Fort Hays State put up some interesting passing numbers earlier in his college career and dealt with injury this past season, he was an academic all district player as well so he has some brains. Kory Curtis from Gannon is a solid 6-3 235 pounds who had decent efficiency but his size makes him worth a second look. Logan Nelson from Mary U is 6-3 234 pounds and played better the year before last but has good size. Kyle King from Mary Hardin Baylor also has good size somewhere in that 6-3 220 pound range and was accurate at lower levels. Asher OHara from Sacramento St is only 5-11 196 pounds but threw accurately in a small sample size. Trae Self from Stephen F. Austin is 6-3 200 pounds and also had a small sample size. Like I said... these guys are serious deep dives, most will end up in Canada, the XFL or working a 9-5 job somewhere... not the NFL.

Value can also be found later in the draft by taking a shorter QB... I don't want one, doesn't mean they'll be a bad players. If Stetson Bennett was taller he'd go much higher in the draft, but he's tiny the way Bryce Young is, the only real difference between them was system. Todd Centeio from James Madison is another shorty at 5-11 but has some heft to him at 226 pounds and was pretty efficient as a thrower. Jake Haener is a legit 6 foot tall 207 pounds but was hyper efficient and attacked downfield at Fresno State.

Strange wasn't a reach the way you, Sean McVay, Les Sneed and some others think. Reports were there were other teams at the top of the 2nd that had OL need and he was on their board.

The trade back also netted picks that got Jack Jones, Bailey Zappe and #76 this year.

I still feel that Strange was a reach, but I am wavering on this; however, the trade back was very well done. Maybe the trade back is an indication that the Patriots have reversed their terrible drafts of previous draft. I suspect that the Patriots wanted to do another trade back and take Strange later, but could not find a reasonable partner and settled on Strange.

What the odds that the Patriots trade back again this year? Pretty high I would assume; they have a lot of holes to fill. I want to be at a draft party when this happens!

I still feel that Strange was a reach, but I am wavering on this; however, the trade back was very well done. Maybe the trade back is an indication that the Patriots have reversed their terrible drafts of previous draft. I suspect that the Patriots wanted to do another trade back and take Strange later, but could not find a reasonable partner and settled on Strange.

What the odds that the Patriots trade back again this year? Pretty high I would assume; they have a lot of holes to fill. I want to be at a draft party when this happens!

For me it’s a QB 1 or JSN or trade down.

I think the move back last year from 21 to 29 was smart because Strange, probably who they wanted all along was there, and nobody ahead of them was a danger to take a guard. They got Marcus and Jack Jones out of it.

With a higher 14th pick this season they can get a lot more draft capital if they choose to move back. QB desperate teams or teams in love with individual players often give more in return for early picks, more than the trade charts tells them to.

They could trade back multiple times in the first to find themselves back near pick 29. The idea is you can get one player who could potentially be a superstar if you stay at 14 but you can get 3-4 players who could be superstars if you trade back and make that many picks in the second round and top of the third. Those rounds aren’t so different from round one. They could find that OT, TE, CB, LB/DT all in the second/third rounds.

Brother what your take on Houston's QB Clayton Tune?
Really like him. Almost prototype size but he can move. Had almost a perfect RAS card I believe. He really knows what he's doing very comfortable running that system. Had an amazing connection with Tank. Knows where his hot is and everyone else. I love his ability to climb the pocket looks like he's climbing a ladder in that drill. He can extend, scramble and deliver a nice ball. Been working with Jordan Palmer for years on his mechanics andit shows in his delivery and footwork. I watch both the upper and lower half and hes insync for the most part. Feet are set quick, not stuck in the mud light, always moving. Lots of experience and poise with some playmaking ability. He's someone that wants the ball in his hands at all times.

He's able to go through his reads easy. Knows where, when, is on point most of the time but is a tick slow in some instances. Specifically tight man, doesn't really matter inside or outside leverage. Doesn't trust himself enough I think but he's a touch slow at times but doesn't lack overall confidence. Arm is good enough just not superstar worthy. Doesn't have "great" touch or "placement" but good enough. I've seen him make deep far harsh with good touch placement and accuracy. It's just spot instances.

Definitely an intriguing topic with the AR15, Levis and Hooker et.

Hooker was great running a half field, one-two read offense but 1st RD is way too rich for me. Especially top 20. Levis is an interesting dude but needs a lot of work. Physical tools are there though. More Wentz than Allen. Some might not like that but Wentz was a fine prospect. Accomplished a good deal before injuries started derailing his career.

Hooker won't be there for our 2nd pick. He's a top 10 players who is essentially a red-shirt. He is a fine pick for the end of the first, so that a team gets him for 5 years.

Really like him. Almost prototype size but he can move. Had almost a perfect RAS card I believe. He really knows what he's doing very comfortable running that system. Had an amazing connection with Tank. Knows where his hot is and everyone else. I love his ability to climb the pocket looks like he's climbing a ladder in that drill. He can extend, scramble and deliver a nice ball. Been working with Jordan Palmer for years on his mechanics andit shows in his delivery and footwork. I watch both the upper and lower half and hes insync for the most part. Feet are set quick, not stuck in the mud light, always moving. Lots of experience and poise with some playmaking ability. He's someone that wants the ball in his hands at all times.

He's able to go through his reads easy. Knows where, when, is on point most of the time but is a tick slow in some instances. Specifically tight man, doesn't really matter inside or outside leverage. Doesn't trust himself enough I think but he's a touch slow at times but doesn't lack overall confidence. Arm is good enough just not superstar worthy. Doesn't have "great" touch or "placement" but good enough. I've seen him make deep far harsh with good touch placement and accuracy. It's just spot instances.

Definitely an intriguing topic with the AR15, Levis and Hooker et.

Hooker was great running a half field, one-two read offense but 1st RD is way too rich for me. Especially top 20. Levis is an interesting dude but needs a lot of work. Physical tools are there though. More Wentz than Allen. Some might not like that but Wentz was a fine prospect. Accomplished a good deal before injuries started derailing his career.
It seems like both Hooker and Levis need to wait a year until they are able to start. Given that, I'm not sure that Levis is a better first round pick than Hooker. I could see the Raiders trading down and then picking Hooker.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back