PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Younger generation Pats fans please share (20's, 30's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
34 years old.

I'll repost what I wrote in a previous thread regarding whether anyone remembers "the dark ages":

Lifelong Boston sports fan. The Celtics were my first love, and sadly for me it didn't happen until after Larry Bird had just retired. That's around the time when I grew a love for pro sports and started following the local teams. The Patriots caught my attention in 1994 when Bledsoe broke the pass attempt record and it was talked about in school the next day. 1996 was when I started watching religiously. Even as the team trended downward in each subsequent season, I watched all the time. Even when they were losing to the likes of Ray Lucas, Koy Detmer, Damon Huard, Charlie Batch, Doug Pederson... it was like, WTF, we have Drew freaking Bledsoe, one of the AFC's household names at QB, why do we keep losing to these scrubs? I never experienced the true dark times, in that I remember life before Brady but not life before Bledsoe.

Im not in my twenties or thirties but Ill pitch in. I once saw a guy vomit his pre game meal all over himself in the old stadium. The crowd started a chant...EAT IT!...EAT IT!...so the guy obliged and bent down a picked up a green pepper out of the vomit and re-ate it. I like the old stadium better.

I'm 34 so my fandom started with Bledsoe. So I didn't have the experience of the 'bad Pats' but more or less caught on as they were turning the corner.

It is rather remarkable how expectations have changed. I love making highlight tapes of each game/season. It's amazing how in the early days I wouldn't sweat getting knocked out in the divisional round because that seemed like quite an accomplishment. Think about that, just being in the final 8 and being considered a good team was enough for me.

Now anything short of a Super Bowl championship will feel like a failure in these days.

We're spoiled. There is no two ways about it. I mean, I saw a link to buy division championship hats and t shirts......who in their right mind would buy those? We don't take pride in those, it's more or less ours to lose each year. If you are the Lions or Raiders (both possible division champs this year), you may buy those but not as a Pats fan.

It's crazy but the regular season to the Pats and their fans is actually more of a 'pre season' each year.

Im not in my twenties or thirties but Ill pitch in. I once saw a guy vomit his pre game meal all over himself in the old stadium. The crowd started a chant...EAT IT!...EAT IT!...so the guy obliged and bent down a picked up a green pepper out of the vomit and re-ate it. I like the old stadium better.

I for one wouldn't eat my own puke just because the crowd overwhelmingly wanted me to. Unless there was a bonu$ involved. Guess that's why I'm not in the NFL, or something.

48 here. I missed the older threads, but I am young at heart!

I can tell you without absolute confidence that Ron Erhardt's 1981 team was and will always be the best 2-14 team in NFL history. They didn't lose any of those 14 games by more than 2 scores.

That team was a playoff team that had so many unlucky bounces they would break your heart over and over and over again.

[Now you have some insight into the mind of a 1980s Patriots fan. Read up on that team: The Story Of The 1981 New England Patriots]

By the way, that team had the following players on it: Steve Grogan, Sam Cunningham, John Hannah, Stanley Morgan, Mike Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Steve Nelson, Julius Adams, Richard Bishop, Don Blackmon, Pete Brock, Don Calhoun, Tony Collins, Lin Dawson, Tim Fox, Ray Hamilton, Don Hasselbeck, Brian Holloway, Shelby Jordan, Andy Johnson, Harold Jackson, Bill Lenkaitis, Mosi Tatupu. 23 memorable Patriots, a ton of talent. 2 wins.

48 here. I missed the older threads, but I am young at heart!

I can tell you without absolute confidence that Ron Erhardt's 1981 team was and will always be the best 2-14 team in NFL history. They didn't lose any of those 14 games by more than 2 scores.

That team was a playoff team that had so many unlucky bounces they would break your heart over and over and over again.

[Now you have some insight into the mind of a 1980s Patriots fan. Read up on that team: The Story Of The 1981 New England Patriots]

By the way, that team had the following players on it: Steve Grogan, Sam Cunningham, John Hannah, Stanley Morgan, Mike Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Steve Nelson, Julius Adams, Richard Bishop, Don Blackmon, Pete Brock, Don Calhoun, Tony Collins, Lin Dawson, Tim Fox, Ray Hamilton, Don Hasselbeck, Brian Holloway, Shelby Jordan, Andy Johnson, Harold Jackson, Bill Lenkaitis, Mosi Tatupu. 23 memorable Patriots, a ton of talent. 2 wins.
I remember it well. And the year right before 1980 the Pats started 7-2, were considered an offensive powerhouse and a SB contender, then they struggled to 10-6 and just missed the playoffs. That (81) was their one terrible year really in all of Steve Grogan's main body of his carreer. (76-89, I think that was the only losing season) The 78 team was ( and might still be not totally sure) the best single running team in NFL history and 76,... 76... us old guys never stop talking about that one. lol

The Bruins' all time heyday included two Cups and unofficially ended in May '74, after which their uniforms inexplicably had the top half cut off and they went from the best uni's in sports to looking like Abington vs. Assebet in Mini on-on-one, veterans' division competition, right up until today. The Celts won it all in '74 & '76, when youngsters asked what it was like when Bill Russell roamed the hardcourts. The Sox were in the '75 World Series (Ed Armbrister & Jim Burton). But the loveable Patriots were my secret superstar; Fairbanks will always be underrated and underappreciated, and the 1976 Super Bowl trophy belongs in Foxborough, Massachusetts - anywhere else, like Oakland, is fraudulent.

So, growing up in Boston then was loaded with success and winners. The missed (and stolen) opportunities are heartbreaking and painful, but no other city then (or now) enjoys such excellence across the board at the same time. Spoiled? Never. Just glance at unworthy Yankee and Canadien fans, or take a peek at Art Skov, Larry Barnett and Jake O'Donnell.

If they ever played each other, the score would be 1976 Patriots 44, 1996 Patriots 13. Nothing to be ashamed of; the '76 team is far better at each and every position, and had the Lombardi trophy stolen from them. The '96 Pats were young, gifted, well coached, scrappy and enjoyed some good fortune.

The Bruins' all time heyday included two Cups and unofficially ended in May '74, after which their uniforms inexplicably had the top half cut off and they went from the best uni's in sports to looking like Abington vs. Assebet in Mini on-on-one, veterans' division competition, right up until today. The Celts won it all in '74 & '76, when youngsters asked what it was like when Bill Russell roamed the hardcourts. The Sox were in the '75 World Series (Ed Armbrister & Jim Burton). But the loveable Patriots were my secret superstar; Fairbanks will always be underrated and underappreciated, and the 1976 Super Bowl trophy belongs in Foxborough, Massachusetts - anywhere else, like Oakland, is fraudulent.

So, growing up in Boston then was loaded with success and winners. The missed (and stolen) opportunities are heartbreaking and painful, but no other city then (or now) enjoys such excellence across the board at the same time. Spoiled? Never. Just glance at unworthy Yankee and Canadien fans, or take a peek at Art Skov, Larry Barnett and Jake O'Donnell.
>>and the 1976 Super Bowl trophy belongs in Foxborough, Massachusetts - anywhere else, like Oakland, is fraudulent.

Though I understand the sentiment of the 76 Pats, this statement is ridiculous. It sounds to me like when other teams call us "cheaters". The Pats should have played better that day, and they still could have stopped them after the call (though obviously very difficult)

Also, you are just assuming two other post season wins after that game.. I do think the Pats had an excellent chance to win that Super Bowl.. but to say it is fraudulent that it is not in Foxboro is too over the top.

27 here. My fandom started with SB 36. I've peobably told this a dozen times on this site. I was an 13 year old girl who never ever watched sports. My dad was getting ready to watch the Super Bowl and kept talking up the Rams. I had nothing to do so I decided to sit with him and watch. He bet me money that the Rams would win so I took it and started rooting for the other team whom I had never heard of. I'm from Kentucky so all I knew were major market teams like New York and 49ers Pittsburgh andDallas. Never even knew the Patriots existed. So sitting there and rooting for this team and I'm having a good time with my dad. Asking questions about the game and learning some stuff. When they won I was elated not because the Pats won but because I was going to get money.

2002 comes around and I completely forget about football. Didn't even watch the Super bowl that year. Had just entered high school so was preoccupied with other things. During the 2003 season I was more interested but again because I lived in Kentucky never got to see the team play. I remember asking my dad occasionally If the patriots were playing. He'd say no and I would be done with it. I did watch the playoffs and the Super Bowl and was very happy they had won again. It was after the second one I decided this was going to be my team and I was really going to follow them.

With the 2004 season they started to get a bit more coverage and every game I could watch I did. This was really when I started learning about the game. I was paying attention diligently so I could understand what I was watching. This is also around the time I started hating Peyton Manning. I live on the edge of Indiana and most people around were Colts fans. So the praise of him drove me crazy. Would watch sports shows for Pats highlights and had to constantly hear about Manning. Couldn't believe the luck when they made the Super Bowl again. Remember all the Dynasty talk about if they were to win. I even taped the game on VHS which I still have. I cheered and screamed when they won. It was great. At this time all I knew was winning rooting for this team. Honestly thought they were invincible. Then 2005 happened. That loss to Denver hurt like hell. And I was mad I didn't have anyone to talk to it about because no one was a Pats fan. Everyone around me hated them.

With the 2006 season I found this site and lurked. Was off to college and had gotten a brand new laptop. Through some major searching was able to find a site where I could actually watch the games. Finally I could see all the Pats games. And I tell you. Since that season there has maybe been a total of 5 games I have missed watching. Was so upset we had lost Branch. I really wanted him to stay because he was a Louisville alum and I lived in Louisville so I thought it was cool. Like my own little (very little and very distant) connection to the team. Broke my heart. Also hated that vinatieri went to the colts. Anyway I followed the games and followed the posters here and learned a lot from what I read everyone was very knowledgable. If you notice my join date it's a very particular date. 2006s ending was even worse than 2005. I remember this site crashing and we had to move to a temporary site while this one was being fixed. I decided to join because I was just dumbfounded as to how we let a win slip through our fingers like that. A tale of 2 halves was like night and day.

2007 we all know what happened there. Spygate definitely brought me into the us against them mentality and I defended my team every chance I got. I loved the season it was amazing and Every game is memorable for me. But that ending. Holy hell I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. I think I ended up skipping class the next day I was so distraught. I don't like when the team loses but after that game I can get over it pretty quickly and move on but I will never get over SB 42.

Anyway that's my brief (ha) history with the beginning of my fandom. So yeah at this point all I know is a winning season. I dread the day the team has 4-12 or 3-13 seasons again. I was fortunate to not have to experience that (yet) but I have grown to love this team so much that I would never falter my loyalty to it. But Goodell is trying his damnedest. It's getting to be a chore watching this game. Only my love for the Pats keeps me coming back. I don't feel spoiled but maybe I am.

Last edited:
I think the basic problem with the Nineties, besides the fact that absolutely nothing of any significance besides Beavis and Butt-Head came out of it, is its presence as the time when our identity was stripped off our helmets and our uniforms ruined.

100px-New_England_Patriots_logo.svg.png

OK, it's the Boston Revolution minor league soccer team?...
...the MLL New England Tea Men?
...the Framingham State intramural coed flag football team's logo?
...the new Dorchester Jai alai fronton?
...the insignia of the local Impotence Anonymous Minutemen?
The Memphis Elvises Arena League franchise?
The Birmingham Americans World Football League resurrection?
The expansion Las Vegas Poachers?
th

this statement is ridiculous. It sounds to me like when other teams call us "cheaters"
Not at all. The "cheaters" statement is akin to "The Jews caused Germany to lose the first World War" or "There is credible evidence that spies are amongst the Japanese-American population on the West Coast."

What transpired on 12/18/76 is factual, as in: A looney Confederate shot Lincoln. A screwball from Hawaii shot Lennon.

That the AFCCG and SB of the 1976 season were cakewalks was a foregone conclusion. Watching most televised games involving any team in at least the 1975 and 1976 seasons would be enough of a sampling to understand how the game was played then, and the egregiousness of what occurred in that game.

27 here. My fandom started with SB 36. I've peobably told this a dozen times on this site. I was an 13 year old girl who never ever watched sports. My dad was getting ready to watch the Super Bowl and kept talking up the Rams. I had nothing to do so I decided to sit with him and watch. He bet me money that the Rams would win so I took it and started rooting for the other team whom I had never heard of. I'm from Kentucky so all I knew were major market teams like New York and 49ers Pittsburgh andDallas. Never even knew the Patriots existed. So sitting there and rooting for this team and I'm having a good time with my dad. Asking questions about the game and learning some stuff. When they won I was elated not because the Pats won but because I was going to get money.

2002 comes around and I completely forget about football. Didn't even watch the Super bowl that year. Had just entered high school so was preoccupied with other things. During the 2003 season I was more interested but again because I lived in Kentucky never got to see the team play. I remember asking my dad occasionally If the patriots were playing. He'd say no and I would be done with it. I did watch the playoffs and the Super Bowl and was very happy they had won again. It was after the second one I decided this was going to be my team and I was really going to follow them.

With the 2004 season they started to get a bit more coverage and every game I could watch I did. This was really when I started learning about the game. I was paying attention diligently so I could understand what I was watching. This is also around the time I started hating Peyton Manning. I live on the edge of Indiana and most people around were Colts fans. So the praise of him drove me crazy. Would watch sports shows for Pats highlights and had to constantly hear about Manning. Couldn't believe the luck when they made the Super Bowl again. Remember all the Dynasty talk about if they were to win. I even taped the game on VHS which I still have. I cheered and screamed when they won. It was great. At this time all I knew was winning rooting for this team. Honestly thought they were invincible. Then 2005 happened. That loss to Denver hurt like hell. And I was mad I didn't have anyone to talk to it about because no one was a Pats fan. Everyone around me hated them.

With the 2006 season I found this site and lurked. Was off to college and had gotten a brand new laptop. Through some major searching was able to find a site where I could actually watch the games. Finally I could see all the Pats games. And I tell you. Since that season there has maybe been a total of 5 games I have missed watching. Was so upset we had lost Branch. I really wanted him to stay because he was a Louisville alum and I lived in Louisville so I thought it was cool. Like my own little (very little and very distant) connection to the team. Broke my heart. Also hated that vinatieri went to the colts. Anyway I followed the games and followed the posters here and learned a lot from what I read everyone was very knowledgable. If you notice my join date it's a very particular date. 2006s ending was even worse than 2005. I remember this site crashing and we had to move to a temporary site while this one was being fixed. I decided to join because I was just dumbfounded as to how we let a win slip through our fingers like that. A tale of 2 halves was like night and day.

2007 we all know what happened there. Spy gate definitely brought me into the U.S. against them mentality and I defended my team every chance I got. I loved the season it was amazing and Every game is memorable for me. But that ending. Holy hell I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. I think I ended up skipping class the next day I was so distraught. I don't like when the team loses but after that game I can get over it pretty quickly and move on but I will never get over SB 42.

Anyway that's my brief (ha) history with the beginning of my fandom. So yeah at this point all I know is a winning season. I dread the day the team has 4-12 or 3-13 seasons again. I was fortunate to not have to experience that (yet) but I have grown to love this team so much that I would never falter my loyalty to it. But Goodell is trying his damnedest. It's getting to be a chore watching this game. Only my love for the Pats keeps me coming back. I don't feel spoiled but maybe I am.
Utterly impossible to be spoiled with all those miserable losses in winnable games during the 10-year drought, all while still dressed in Kraft's ugly disguises.

I think the basic problem with the Nineties, besides the fact that absolutely nothing of any significance besides Beavis and Butt-Head came out of it, is its presence as the time when our identity was stripped off our helmets and our uniforms ruined.

100px-New_England_Patriots_logo.svg.png

OK, it's the Boston Revolution minor league soccer team?...
...the MLL New England Tea Men?
...the Framingham State intramural coed flag football team's logo?
...the new Dorchester Jai alai fronton?
...the insignia of the local Impotence Anonymous Minutemen?
The Memphis Elvises Arena League franchise?
The Birmingham Americans World Football League resurrection?
The expansion Las Vegas Poachers?
th

The Nineties were great some of the best music was done in the nineties. It was the last era that started pre internet. I mean obviously the net was around but it didn't really take over until late 90's and now the whole damn world is interconnected. People still used house phones as there main phone..

Not only has the net changed the world but computers were turned into phones and we walk around with all the worlds knowledge and entertainment with a click or a press of a finger. That is actually quite incredible if you think about it.

The Nineties were great some of the best music was done in the nineties. It was the last era that started pre internet. I mean obviously the net was around but it didn't really take over until late 90's and now the whole damn world is interconnected. People still used house phones as there main phone..
I still have a main phone.

BUT it's not a dial-up!:)
th

Utterly impossible to be spoiled with all those miserable losses in winnable games during the 10-year drought, all while still dressed in Kraft's ugly disguises.
I like the old uniforms... but I had no idea you were such a loon about it..

I like the old uniforms... but I had no idea you were such a loon about it..
How do you think the fans in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Francisco etc. would react if the NFL assigned someone from Boston who hated them to run their franchises, and after five minutes took a huge dump on the team and all its fans by destroying the logo and uniforms they'd rooted for for over three decades?

The problem here is that many people followed Kraft's example by swallowing the spin that anti-Patriot Orthwein cooked up. It's all in the context of the league's disproportionate dumping on the Patriots, as opposed to any other team over the last forty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe