PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

I would like the Pats to get a big WR. I debated between Jones, Quick and Streeter. I went with Jones because I feel he runs better routes and has a better burst and long speed, but Quick has better hands. I would be happy with Quick. I think Gilmore is a better CB, but I do not think he will be available.

I am curious if folks think that with the play of Sterling Moore we stand pat with our back 4? Especially with Dowling, who I think will be a stud, coming back next year.

I have another binky I would like opinions on. He is going to be a late pick or UDFA. Levasier Tuinei WR from Oregon. He is 6-4 or 6-5 and 215 LBS, great hands.

Jones is an underclassman though, and has displayed some immaturity. I'd love for them to get a tall WR too. But the draft is a crap shoot as apparently the offense is so hard to learn that rookies frequently can't. Even veterans sometimes can't. So I hope they don't draft one high. And I think they've been burned so badly in the past by chad jackson and bethel johnson that they are gun shy. I hope they are actually.

Brandon Lloyd is the best bet, I believe. He said he wants to followo Josh mCdaniels around, so it is a possibility. Then resign welker and branch and try to develop someone. For some reason I think Bj cunningham wouldu be a good mid round seleciton. I could be wrong.

Ok without further ado, here is the mock I have been working on since my first lazy one. I used NFLdraftscout for the positional rankings.

Pre-draft Trades
Hoyer for a high third and seventh (Stolen from Grid)
Jermaine Cunningham for 6th rounder (Stolen form Wilfork#75)

1a. Don’t’a Hightower (For a first and a third)
The OLB we’ve been waiting for, but has the versatility to play anywhere. He does it all and we shouldn’t have to move up TOO far to acquire him.

1b. Michael Brockers (Via Saints)
Arguably the best 5 tech end in the draft. Certainly has the highest ceiling, but falls due to rawness and inexperience.

2a. Chase Minnifield (Via Raiders)
One of my favorite corners in the draft. Excellent in zone coverage and underrated in man. Good size and speed. He’s like a bigger version of Asante Samuel.

2b. Pick #64 for third and fourth

3a. Leonard Johnson (Hoyer)
Strong, abusive, and physical corner. He is something we need, but don’t have.

3b. Mike Brewster (Traded for)
I hope he’s 6’4” and not 6’5”. I feel like 6’4” is the ideal size for a center, and while he’s a little light, he has room to add weight. His weaknesses are technique and footwork, things I think Dante can make his strengths. I think he has the highest ceiling of all center prospects.

4a. Ryan Broyles (Traded for)
Stud on a discount. There is nothing great about his game, but everything is good. He is the jack of all trades. Scratch that his hands are like a black hole for footballs and his awareness is like he has eyes in back of his head. Professional at the bubble screen.

4b. Jeff Demps
Speed, and upside we don’t have at the RB position. Can also return.

6. Michael Williams (Cunningham)
A rhino of a blocker, and underrated in the passing game. He moves well for a big guy and has solid hands.

7. Case Keenum (Hoyer)

UFA. Dom Hamilton, Juron Criner, Brandon Hardin, Delano Howell, Janzen Jackson

Notable FA signings
Wes Welker
Brandon Lloyd
Dashon Goldson.

Ok without further ado, here is the mock I have been working on since my first lazy one. I used NFLdraftscout for the positional rankings.

4b. Jeff Demps
Speed, and upside we don’t have at the RB position. Can also return.

He is going to be a full time Olympian. I'll pass on wasting a 4th on him.

Baltimore had 12 wins. NO won 13. If they lose, they pick before NO pick. The highest we can pick is 27th if GB loses.

So our picks this year are:

1a - 27
1b - 32

Here's a couple of new mocks from CBS. Rang has us picking Fletcher Cox and Andre Branch. I could live with that. Brugler has us taking S. Gilmore and Cordy Glenn. Is he serious? That's terrible. Their board is goofed up too. And, would impact who we take. They have GB at 27 and our pick at 28. Rang has GB taking Brockers. Brugler has us taking Courtney Upshaw. I'd love to get either of them.

NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Some pretty good defenders are dropping towards our picks. Do we trade up if a guy like Still, Brockers or Upshaw is there at 20? It would be tempting. I've flip flopped again. No, I'm not a politician. I'm back to the 3-4. We just seem a better 3-4 team. Mayo and Spikes in particular. That's a pretty good combo at ILB if you run a 3-4. Could you live with 32 and 64 for Courtney Upshaw? Fletcher Cox at 27. Sign Goldson for FS and draft a cb at 48.

Starters
Wilfork-Love-Deaderick
Ninko-Mayo-Spikes-Upshaw
McCourty-Goldson-Chung-Arrington

Depth
DL - Ron Brace and Fletcher Cox. Sign a vet. G. Warren?
LB - Anderson-Fletcher-Sign/Draft Bigger Thumper-Cunningham/M. Carter
DB - Dowling-2ND Rounder-Ihedigo-? FS-S. Moore

Here's a couple of new mocks from CBS. Rang has us picking Fletcher Cox and Andre Branch. I could live with that. Brugler has us taking S. Gilmore and Cordy Glenn. Is he serious? That's terrible. Their board is goofed up too. And, would impact who we take. They have GB at 27 and our pick at 28. Rang has GB taking Brockers. Brugler has us taking Courtney Upshaw. I'd love to get either of them.

NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Some pretty good defenders are dropping towards our picks. Do we trade up if a guy like Still, Brockers or Upshaw is there at 20? It would be tempting. I've flip flopped again. No, I'm not a politician. I'm back to the 3-4. We just seem a better 3-4 team. Mayo and Spikes in particular. That's a pretty good combo at ILB if you run a 3-4. Could you live with 32 and 64 for Courtney Upshaw? Fletcher Cox at 27. Sign Goldson for FS and draft a cb at 48.

Starters
Wilfork-Love-Deaderick
Ninko-Mayo-Spikes-Upshaw
McCourty-Goldson-Chung-Arrington

Depth
DL - Ron Brace and Fletcher Cox. Sign a vet. G. Warren?
LB - Anderson-Fletcher-Sign/Draft Bigger Thumper-Cunningham/M. Carter
DB - Dowling-2ND Rounder-Ihedigo-? FS-S. Moore

A) I don't think it's necessarily terrible. Depends on who's already gone. Glenn is a real mauler, drives defenders to the ground and Gilmore, in the right situation, is a dynamic DB. Wouldn't be my first choice but not terrible.

B) Actually if you click on the complete analysis link, he actually has us taking Alshon Jeffery rather than Cordy Glenn.

A) I don't think it's necessarily terrible. Depends on who's already gone. Glenn is a real mauler, drives defenders to the ground and Gilmore, in the right situation, is a dynamic DB. Wouldn't be my first choice but not terrible.

B) Actually if you click on the complete analysis link, he actually has us taking Alshon Jeffery rather than Cordy Glenn.

We have zero needs for a guard in Round 1. Mankins is an all-pro. Waters is signed for another year. We already have Waters eventual replacement on board in Marcus Cannon.
Doubt if Jeffrey falls that far. But, I'd be happy to take him at 32. I just don't think Gilmore is any better than what we have. McCourty, Dowling and Arrington.

In Rob Rang's mock us taking Fletcher Cox over Peter Konz would never, ever, ever happen.

Also, neither of them have Hightower going in the first round? I'm sorry but he's a top 20 pick at worst. But I'd be glad if he dropped because having him would be amazing. He could play the Sam and DE in the 4-3 sub packages. Him and Ninko could switch off at DE/SAM. And he can play the Mike and Jack in the 3-4.

Last edited:
We have zero needs for a guard in Round 1. Mankins is an all-pro. Waters is signed for another year. We already have Waters eventual replacement on board in Marcus Cannon.
Doubt if Jeffrey falls that far. But, I'd be happy to take him at 32. I just don't think Gilmore is any better than what we have. McCourty, Dowling and Arrington.

BB will take the best value as the organisation sees it at any given spot. If that's Glenn and they can't trade out, they'll take it. Vollmer has spent much of the year injured, Waters has one year left and Cannon is unproven so I don't think the O/Line is as cut and dried as you think. He wouldn't be in any of my mocks but he's a good player and I'm all for those.

As to CB's, has Dowling spent a year of his playing career uninjured yet? I'm not counting on Dowling for anything. McCourty has regressed and Arrington is an OK CB, nothing more. Like I said, I see Gilmore as a safety conversion or a CB to be used situationally, not as an outside corner.

Last edited:
In Rob Rang's mock us taking Fletcher Cox over Peter Konz would never, ever, ever happen.

Also, neither of them have Hightower going in the first round? I'm sorry but he's a top 20 pick at worst. But I'd be glad if he dropped because having him would be amazing. He could play the Sam and DE in the 4-3 sub packages. Him and Ninko could switch off at DE/SAM. And he can play the Mike and Jack in the 3-4.

Is there something I'm missing with multiple people calling Hightower an OLB? He's played ILB his entire career as far as I know...

Minnifield and Konz or Glenn will be at least one of our 1st round picks if not both. We're a winning team. We get the luxury of going best player available. All of this "Marcus Cannon is our Guard of the future!!!" crap needs to stop.

Is there something I'm missing with multiple people calling Hightower an OLB? He's played ILB his entire career as far as I know...

Players can project to different positions in the pros. Bruschi was a DE in college after all. Hightower is decent in coverage and very good against the run + blitzing. He looks more than capable of playing the Jack in a 3-4.

Minnifield and Konz or Glenn will be at least one of our 1st round picks if not both. We're a winning team. We get the luxury of going best player available. All of this "Marcus Cannon is our Guard of the future!!!" crap needs to stop.

Can you explain why he won't be our next RG? He was an All-American LT. He'd have been an early 2nd rounder if not being diagnosed for lymphoma. He's beaten that. And, even looked ok at RT in the 2nd half of the Miami game. Yet, you don't think he can play RG????

I would go with (DT) Cox at 27, Trade 32 for a 1st next year and a 3rd this year to a team (Washington) that needs a QB (Tannehill) and misses out on (RGIII). I would go with (C) Brewster and (CB) Gilmore in the 2nd round. (DE) Winn and (WR) Streeter in the 3rd.

Can you explain why he won't be our next RG? He was an All-American LT. He'd have been an early 2nd rounder if not being diagnosed for lymphoma. He's beaten that. And, even looked ok at RT in the 2nd half of the Miami game. Yet, you don't think he can play RG????

I never said I don't think he can play RG. I said he won't play RG. He's a tackle on this team. There was a thread about this in the main Pats forum last week.

BB will take the best value as the organisation sees it at any given spot. If that's Glenn and they can't trade out, they'll take it. Vollmer has spent much of the year injured, Waters has one year left and Cannon is unproven so I don't think the O/Line is as cut and dried as you think. He wouldn't be in any of my mocks but he's a good player and I'm all for those.

You have to look at how players fit the scheme. The Pats won't just take a player because of the value. It's how the value fits with need and scheme.

I don't see the scheme fit with Glenn. He's a power type G without much in the way of natural knee bend or burst off the snap, nice fit for the Steelers or the Bengals etc, but we don't really take those types of players. Cannon is one you could mention, but at the same time his agility even at that size is off the charts. You can play him at G or T and he fits the scheme because he can get low and has very good technique.

I would go with (DT) Cox at 27, Trade 32 for a 1st next year and a 3rd this year to a team (Washington) that needs a QB (Tannehill) and misses out on (RGIII). I would go with (C) Brewster and (CB) Gilmore in the 2nd round. (DE) Winn and (WR) Streeter in the 3rd.

Looking through some of my (very sparse, admittedly) notes on some of the G prospects this year, I think I'd take a chance on Lucas Nix of Pitt if we're going to target a Guard this year. Very fluid, good feet, natural lateral mover, good initial punch, nasty streak.

You have to look at how players fit the scheme. The Pats won't just take a player because of the value. It's how the value fits with need and scheme.

I don't see the scheme fit with Glenn. He's a power type G without much in the way of natural knee bend or burst off the snap, nice fit for the Steelers or the Bengals etc, but we don't really take those types of players. Cannon is one you could mention, but at the same time his agility even at that size is off the charts. You can play him at G or T and he fits the scheme because he can get low and has very good technique.

A-ha. this is my one doubt about Glenn, his agility. Like I said, I wouldn't mock him to the Pats rather that I was trying to point out that we won't be picking on need but on a players value at the point we're picking. If BB thinks the player is good enough, fits the team and there's a place for him, he'll pick him regardless of whether the position is perceived as a need or not.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back