PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yay or Nay: Shawn Springs, Fred Taylor, Matt Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really getting to think Maroney would be around for a few more years.

His running aside ... he is a horrible pass blocker
and I think that is why he goes more than anything. On a running team he would be a nice #2 RB.

He bounced off Ray Lewis today ... that was ugly.

Maroney's pass blocking has been improved this year, and a lot of running backs have looked bad trying to block Lewis. But I do think that Belichick will abandon the "can we draft a thoroughbred and convert him into a plow horse?" experiment, and cut Maroney loose. Really, there's no reason not to, given the way they misuse the kid at the position. If he's going to fail at the NFL level from here forward, let him do it on a team that actually signs players for the skills they have instead of doing it for the skills they think they can force them to develop.

Last edited:
This team needs as many decent tackles as it can find, so I can't see getting rid of Light.

Taylor maybe is pricey for a backup so I'm not sure but I'd love to see him back.

Springs is getting older so that's a concern, but he's obviously a better CB than most. If he's a cancer in the locker room though, send him packing.

If you let Springs go, you are pushing Wilhite and Wheatley closer to the top of the depth chart. I hope you have a plan to replace Springs - don't think either one of those guys will ever develop into a starter and the latter guy is going to have trouble even making the team. That leaves Butler and Bodden, who is not even locked up.

Missing the good ole days of Poole and Law, backuped by Asante and Gay the following year. No headaches.

Samuel was drafted in '03 and people on this board despaired of him ever amounting to anything. It wasn't until 06 that he really broke out.
Wilhite and Wheatley were drafted in 08. Give them--Wilhite at least--time.

Out of those three, I say keep Taylor. Maroney has had enough time to show that he is a capable back to which I say he isn't. Get rid of Maroney, they should be able to find someone that can do what he does say in round 5 or so in the draft.

I haven't been impressed by Springs at all this year... actually the only DB's that I would keep would be Bodden, Meriweather, McGowan, and Butler.

I think Vollmer will be better than Light next year but Light's release should be contingent on whether or not they can find players to replace Neal and Kaczur. Neal because I think he's done... too many injuries.

It will kind of depend what is available that their respective positions in the draft/free agency. I never could understand why folks don't like Light. He's been a very consistent, and solid player.

Yes, he's far from perfect, but he's above average, IMHO. Springs may be saying bye bye. Taylor is an injury waiting to happen, and always has been.

Yes to Springs, but I would like to see Butler be the eventul starter. Re-sign Bodden. Wilhite in the slot.

No to Taylor and time to get rid of Morris. These guys are just too old and injury prone. Time with revamp the RB position in the draft and free agency. The only guy I would keep is Faulk.

Yes to Light. I think, while not a top LT in the NFL, he is pretty decent. I think Vollmer is the future at LT. I don't like Kaczur at all, but I think Levoir is better than Kaczur.

I also think Thomas will be gone. Burgess will likely be back. Hopefully after a year in the system, he will be more effective next year.

Matt Light will almost certainly stay on...the others I doubt it.

Taylor is still a talent but MUCH TOO risky to sign for his injury prone body.

Springs - Cut, he didn't do anything all year.

Light - Move to Right tackle

Taylor - Cut. Stop this circus of over 30 RB's. Lets get young at RB through the draft. He's also too injury prone.

People, Light's not moving to right tackle. Belichick has made that pretty clear:

"In my brilliance," Belichick said with a smile, "I put [Light] at right tackle as a rookie. It didn’t really work out at all. He has the physical skills to play over there. But, then, he just … Matt’s just a left tackle. When you look at his skills, I don’t think you look at him and say, ‘Well, I don’t think he has the skills to play right tackle.’

"But he’s just much more comfortable on the left side and he’s a much better left tackle than he was a right tackle, when we tried to play him there his rookie year. Once we got him back to left tackle, he was a much better football player. That was his rookie year, so maybe if it was his third year, he would’ve adjusted to it better. I don’t know, we just left him at left because he’s done a good job for us over there."

Belichick hints (again) at tackle situation's future - Extra Points - Boston.com

So, unless Belichick reverses himself, it's not going to happen.

Would not let Light go, he knows the system well and would consider moving him to right tackle...

Also do not believe that this year will be uncapped; NFLPA, Owners and Goodell will know that this will lead to chaos... a very uneven salary structure, overpaying for players and a bad mark on the league.. they will work it out.

Why hasnt anyone mentioned our lack of a decent Tight END. All the best passing team ( because we dont have a decent RB) have a good reliable TE. The Packers, who remind me of 2004 and 2005 Patriots have Finley and our bitter rival as Dallas Clark. Everyone talks about getting a 3rd WR ( which is true) but I think we are overlooking the TE position as well. Watson shouldnt be re-signed but is Baker going to be able to get the job done?

Why hasnt anyone mentioned our lack of a decent Tight END. All the best passing team ( because we dont have a decent RB) have a good reliable TE. The Packers, who remind me of 2004 and 2005 Patriots have Finley and our bitter rival as Dallas Clark. Everyone talks about getting a 3rd WR ( which is true) but I think we are overlooking the TE position as well. Watson shouldnt be re-signed but is Baker going to be able to get the job done?

For half the season i wondered if Brady forgot about the TE. For whatever reason they just werent very involved in the passing game. Possibly because they were staying in to block too often. We can find another Gaffney for the 3rd, so that problem doesnt concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back