PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WRs returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Ocho Cinco right now is flirting on Twitter and seems to wants to come to the PATS, just sayin

Without an offensive line to protect the quarterback, it's futile to discuss adding a deep threat to the offense. Brady was sacked five times against the New York Jets defense and was hurried and harassed a number of other times. Dan Connolly is not the answer at offensive guard and an injury prone Stephen Neal turns 35 years of age next season. Aside from Sebastian Vollmer, who is the future at offensive tackle on the New England Patriots roster?

Id say two of those sacks can be attributed to the Oline. The others were coverage sacks.

#1 - Some big, reliable target that isn't a head case (ie Sidney Rice)
#2 - Welker
#3 - Branch
#4 - Price
#5 - Tate/Edelman as ST WRs

That would be my ideal situation

Tate is definitely not the answer for games where we need to stretch the field. So yeah ... mark him as a #5.

Id say two of those sacks can be attributed to the Oline. The others were coverage sacks.
I'd rather grab a wide receiver in free agency (whether there will be free agency depends on a future lockout) and start to rebuild the offensive line via the 2011 NFL Draft with six picks in the first three rounds.

Well Ocho Cinco right now is flirting on Twitter and seems to wants to come to the PATS, just sayin

lol is that the JSN on Patsfans that he's responding too? Ocho Cinco could be had for the right price.

I'd rather grab a wide receiver in free agency (whether there will be free agency depends on a future lockout) and start to rebuild the offensive line via the 2011 NFL Draft with six picks in the first three rounds.

Free agency is first so lets see what happens during that. Im wandering if anybody knows how Carl Nicks would fit in our offensive scheme. Priority number 1 for me is resigning Mankins

Last edited:
lol is that the JSN on Patsfans that he's responding too? Ocho Cinco could be had for the right price.

yea I thinks the dude on comcast, i dont live up there so iuno, but I follow him on twitter for Pats UPdates, and he responded to him

I would rather trade up in the first round with both first round draft picks to select Marcell Dareus from Alabama, that is if I firmly believe that Marcell Dareus is the next great 3-4 defensive end in the NFL. Since Belichick has the inside connection with Nick Saban at Alabama, Belichick can firmly assess if Dareus has the potential to be the next Richard Seymour. Also, the Alabama Crimson Tide base defensive alignment was the 3-4 defense, so Dareus has experience within the system. Football games are won in the trenches and the NY Jets outplayed the New England Patriots on both sides of the offensive and defensive lines. Furthermore, the Baltimore Ravens dominated both sides of the offensive and defensive lines in the 2009 AFC Wildcard Game.

How is it that the New England Patriots led the NFL in points scored and now everyone wants to draft another frickin' wide receiver that will take two to three years to develop? In the meantime, the offensive line is starting to show it's age and aside from Logan Mankins (that depends if the Patriots sign him to a long term contract extension) and Sebastian Vollmer, where is the future for the New England Patriots offensive line?

I'd rather trade too. But if we are sitting there at #28 and a top 20 talent like Jones is in our lap, I would look to trade the pick for some proven talent or just take him.

I don't think WR is as big of a need as DE, OL, or OLB, and I understand that WRs take 2-3 years to develop. But the upside for Jones is larger than Tate or Price.

Welker has a year left and I have a feeling he wants more than the Patriots will pay him. Have him play it out or trade him, we'll see, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we traded Welker and traded for Ocho Cinco giving us a little more height at WR and another year for Price to get ready to replace Branch whose contract is also up but I think he's OK with his.

I know, you can't trade Welker, but we all know how it works around here.

Ocho Cinco and Branch as starters. Edelman is a good slot guy, Price and Tate have a year to show they're long term guys or we move on from them.

How is it that the New England Patriots led the NFL in points scored and now everyone wants to draft another frickin' wide receiver that will take two to three years to develop?

People watched the game, realize the team needs, and realize that you can get good interior linemen in rounds 2 and 3.

And the points scored is a lousy argument. They were getting the points with Moss on the team too. The difference is that Moss was keeping defenses honest, and giving Brady more margin for error. Tate does not do that.

I'd rather trade too. But if we are sitting there at #28 and a top 20 talent like Jones is in our lap, I would look to trade the pick for some proven talent or just take him.

I don't think WR is as big of a need as DE, OL, or OLB, and I understand that WRs take 2-3 years to develop. But the upside for Jones is larger than Tate or Price.
I'd rather grab a Sidney Rice in free agency than select Julio Jones in the first round. Case in point, the New England Patriots traded up in the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft to select Bethel Johnson. In a repeat of the 2003 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots traded up in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft to select Chad Jackson. Neither panned out at the wide receiver position.

People watched the game, realize the team needs, and realize that you can get good interior linemen in rounds 2 and 3.

And the points scored is a lousy argument. They were getting the points with Moss on the team too. The difference is that Moss was keeping defenses honest, and giving Brady more margin for error. Tate does not do that.
If you want instant impact at the wide receiver position, free agency is the route to go. Whether it is a Sidney Rice, Chad Johnson, or Vincent Jackson for example, whoever Bill Belichick feels is the best for the New England Patriots offensive system.

Last edited:
If Slater were on the team to play WR, he indeed might not be back. However, he is our #1 special teams player and will be back.

And if they weren't reasonable returners, I wouldn't bet on Edelman or Tate coming back as wide receivers. As it is, they will both be back.

Works in progress: Price, Tate, Edelman, Slater
knowns: Welker, Branch
TE: Crumpler, Hernandez, Gronkowski

I would like to add a WR target like Steve Smith of the Giants as a replacement for Branch who's getting up their in age and injuries. I doubt Slater returns.

Next year I'd like to see Smith, Welker, and Branch starting with Tate/Price coming off the bench and Edelman taking snaps in Welker's spot. There is always the possiblity of drafting a big target like Julio Jones or signing Vincent Jackson if the price is right.

Joey Galloway is still available.

Optimistic about...

Wes Welker
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Hernandez

Intrigued but cautiously optimistic about...

Julian Edelman
Taylor Price

Pessimistic about...

Deion Branch
Brandon Tate

The age and injury histories of Welker (lesser extent), Branch and Edelman are reasons for concern. Still, Welker, if healthy, is as reliable a number two wide receiver as anybody.

However, somebody must emerge from the draft or via free agency to become the long term replace to Branch. Maybe, Edelman will become Welker's replacement in the starting lineup, eventually. But it's fair for one to be on the fence about Price.

Tate can be an integral part of the special teams, but seems less promising as a legitimate wide receiver threat. Too little big plays, too many dropped balls.

I'm sure we all agree the group of Crumpler, Gronk and Hernandez should be brought back at TE.

There are two guys on offense who need to have a much reduced role from now on, Welker and Woodhead. Once these guys reach a certain amount of touches in a game, the opposing defense adjusts to them and they are ineffective, both of them are situational offensive players. Neither one should be leading the team in receptions/rushes. They need a "downfield threat" but one who is a multi-dimensional #1 receiver, not a downfield threat who just runs go routes and gets shut down by Cromartie (hi Moss). With that, then Branch gets a much better #2 role and Welker is a slot guy who's in on situational downs. Tate IMO is a decent #4 threat who can stretch the field on passing downs.

Tate can be an integral part of the special teams, but seems less promising as a legitimate wide receiver threat. Too little big plays, too many dropped balls.
Brandon Tate was more productive in the New England Patriots offense during his first full season than David Givens. In addition, Brandon Tate contributes on special teams while David Givens did not. Let's not give up on a player returning from a knee injury.

Brandon Tate, WR for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

David Givens, WR at NFL.com

Brandon Tate was more productive in the New England Patriots offense during his first full season than David Givens. In addition, Brandon Tate contributes on special teams while David Givens did not. Let's not give up on a player returning from a knee injury.

Brandon Tate, WR for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

David Givens, WR at NFL.com

Yeah the Brandon Tate sucks crap is ridiculous given how inexperienced he is. Even if he doesn't improve at all, he's still a decent #4 receiver/KO returner. Edelman meanwhile is a good #5 receiver/punt returner.

I wasn't saying this a couple of weeks ago, but the Jets highlighted our desperate need for a deep threat and, honestly, our cheapest and highest upside option in one Randy Moss.

I know the subject has been beaten to death, but give Moss a one year deal, who will be more motivated to ever. Sign the one year deal, win the Super Bowl, and ride off into the sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes