PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WRs returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that wants to see the Pats go back to being a run first team like 04?

If you want instant impact at the wide receiver position, free agency is the route to go. Whether it is a Sidney Rice, Chad Johnson, or Vincent Jackson for example, whoever Bill Belichick feels is the best for the New England Patriots offensive system.

I mentioned Rice and Jackson earlier in the thread, actually. I just don't think you automatically rule out receivers having an impact as rookies in this day and age. We're seeing it happen too often now. Here's a pretty good group from last season:

Benn
M. Williams
Bryant
J. Ford
Shipley
E. Sanders

They all had Tate-range numbers or better, and that doesn't even count Demaryius Thomas, who had 22 catches in just 10 games (foot injury), and showed flashes when relatively healthy, just as Tate has done. The 2009 draft was even better, with guys like Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Maclin, Wallace, etc....

Am I the only one that wants to see the Pats go back to being a run first team like 04?

YES!!!!!

Upgrade the OL, pound the rock, control the time of possesion, and win lower scoring games. This will help the defense out alot.

The question is if BJGE can handle a Dillon-like workload with 20-25 carries a game. I think he can.

YES!!!!!

Upgrade the OL, pound the rock, control the time of possesion, and win lower scoring games. This will help the defense out alot.

The question is if BJGE can handle a Dillon-like workload with 20-25 carries a game. I think he can.

This is very hard to do in the NFL these days. You need to be able to pass the ball well now when the running game isn't working. No doubt they need to improve at C and RG, make BJGE the feature back and become a better running team, but they still can't have a passing game that is so methodical and so dependent on short yards. With today's rules you need an offense that's capable of winning a shoot out.

they NEED a deep threat and bad

This is very hard to do in the NFL these days. You need to be able to pass the ball well now when the running game isn't working. No doubt they need to improve at C and RG, make BJGE the feature back and become a better running team, but they still can't have a passing game that is so methodical and so dependent on short yards. With today's rules you need an offense that's capable of winning a shoot out.

True, but that's why Brady is our QB. We do need to add a more vertical WR but like Deus said that can come through FA.

Also, the Jets aren't capable of winning a shootout and look at them. The time they get down by 10+ is when they will be knocked from the playoffs (my guess being the Superbowl to the Packers).

I mentioned Rice and Jackson earlier in the thread, actually. I just don't think you automatically rule out receivers having an impact as rookies in this day and age. We're seeing it happen too often now. Here's a pretty good group from last season:

Benn
M. Williams
Bryant
J. Ford
Shipley
E. Sanders

They all had Tate-range numbers or better, and that doesn't even count Demaryius Thomas, who had 22 catches in just 10 games (foot injury), and showed flashes when relatively healthy, just as Tate has done. The 2009 draft was even better, with guys like Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Maclin, Wallace, etc....
One trade last year that frosted my arse was literally giving away a third and fifth round draft pick for Derrick Burgess. Might as well as bit the bullet and allowed Rob Ninkovich to develop last year than waste future draft picks on a waning Derrick Burgess. Thus, with an additional third round draft pick in 2010, the New England Patriots could have drafted Jacoby Ford from Clemson.

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

However, the New England Patriots did select Taylor Price over Jacoby Ford so that may say something about Jacoby Ford fitting within the Patriots offensive system.

YES!!!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one.

One trade last year that frosted my arse was literally giving away a third and fifth round draft pick for Derrick Burgess. Might as well as bit the bullet and allowed Rob Ninkovich to develop last year than waste future draft picks on a waning Derrick Burgess. Thus, with an additional third round draft pick in 2010, the New England Patriots could have drafted Jacoby Ford from Clemson.

However, the New England Patriots did select Taylor Price over Jacoby Ford so that may say something about Jacoby Ford fitting within the Patriots offensive system.

They also picked Tate instead of Mike Wallace.

60 catches/1257 yards/21.0 yards per reception/10 touchdowns
That's a big play receiver... Ran a 4.33 and came out of the SEC. I think we over-valued Tate's return prowess.

The Burgess trade was perhaps BBs worst trade as head of the football ops.

Awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye