PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Writer says blame officials, not Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Mo. That is some pretty sketchy stuff. Thanks for posting it!

Thank you. I'm glad that I can come here and hear some rational discussion. I think that Faulk had possession of the ball before he crossed back across the 30 yard marker. Also, the ref gave Faulk almost no forward progress. The Colts' defender obviously pushed him very hard and very far back. Add this to the fact that the ref was behind Faulk and could not get a very clear look at possession of the ball, how can you give a call like that to the defense on such a critical play. You have to give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt if you are not sure, and he most definitely was not, because the ball was in his field of vision for a very short period of time. There is no way that you can tell when a player acheived possession of the ball and where it occurred after being pushed by a defender, and give the call to the defender. At the very worst, at least confer with the other officials.

Folks, I think it's time people started pushing for changes to the rules:

1.) We should adopt the college rule where every play is reviewable by an official in a replay room. An arguement has been made that this will hurt the credibility of the game. But after last night, and many others, the reputation of the league's officiating already has several black eyes. Let's get the calls right.

2.) Let's make the passing game fair. It's far too baised towards offensive receivers. The defensive players should have a right to their position on the field. If Darius Butler jumps for a ball and Reggie Wayne jumps into him to knock him off balance, that should be a passing interferrence call against the wide receiver: NOT THE DEFENSIVE BACK! Crapy calls such as this has hurt our team and many others, rarely ever the Colts.

Make the game fair and let them play. I'm done.

if the same play was made on 2nd and2 i bet the spot wouldve been different.

if the same play was made on 2nd and2 i bet the spot wouldve been different.

Right, I bet the official was to scared (or something) to give them the game by calling it a first. You know what I mean? I mean that was the end of the game essentially if converted.

The spot of the ball is where the location of the ball is when both feet have touched the ground after the ball has been controlled. The spot wasa best guess by the official as Faulk's back was to him. Two other officials were not looking at Faulk and another was too far away.

I don't think the official purposely gave us a bad spot ... it just kind of happened very quickly ... win some and lose some of those. If you're team is relying on a spot to win the game then you don't exactly deserve to win ... you did not make enough plays if it comes down to one spot.

Last edited:
The spot of the ball is where the location of the ball is when both feet have touched the ground after the ball has been controlled. The spot wasa best guess by the official as Faulk's back was to him. Two other officials were not looking at Faulk and another was too far away.

I don't think the official purposely gave us a bad spot ... it just kind of happened very quickly ... win some and lose some of those. If you're team is relying on a spot to win the game then you don't exactly deserve to win ... you did not make enough plays if it comes down to one spot.

well, by that logic, indy didn't deserve to win because they were relying on the spot of the ball as well. many, many football games are decided by the spot of the ball.

Right, I bet the official was to scared (or something) to give them the game by calling it a first. You know what I mean? I mean that was the end of the game essentially if converted.

crazed home crowd + polian =

90%20(2).JPG

well, by that logic, indy didn't deserve to win because they were relying on the spot of the ball as well. many, many football games are decided by the spot of the ball.

Good post.
DW Toys

Thank you. I'm glad that I can come here and hear some rational discussion. I think that Faulk had possession of the ball before he crossed back across the 30 yard marker. Also, the ref gave Faulk almost no forward progress. The Colts' defender obviously pushed him very hard and very far back. Add this to the fact that the ref was behind Faulk and could not get a very clear look at possession of the ball, how can you give a call like that to the defense on such a critical play. You have to give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt if you are not sure, and he most definitely was not, because the ball was in his field of vision for a very short period of time. There is no way that you can tell when a player acheived possession of the ball and where it occurred after being pushed by a defender, and give the call to the defender. At the very worst, at least confer with the other officials.

Folks, I think it's time people started pushing for changes to the rules:

1.) We should adopt the college rule where every play is reviewable by an official in a replay room. An arguement has been made that this will hurt the credibility of the game. But after last night, and many others, the reputation of the league's officiating already has several black eyes. Let's get the calls right.

2.) Let's make the passing game fair. It's far too baised towards offensive receivers. The defensive players should have a right to their position on the field. If Darius Butler jumps for a ball and Reggie Wayne jumps into him to knock him off balance, that should be a passing interferrence call against the wide receiver: NOT THE DEFENSIVE BACK! Crapy calls such as this has hurt our team and many others, rarely ever the Colts.

Make the game fair and let them play. I'm done.

Completely agree on the college way being better, I may even call Sirius later to get their opinion on it. It's not sour grapes, it just makes more sense. If we're going to use replay it shouldn't hinge on something like having a timeout or not, just make everything a booth review. Also, make things like PI reviewable, if we're reviewing some things why not all? For example in the Dallas game it was clear that the Dallas player had the ball on the ground and was touched but apparently it wasn't reviewable so Green Bay got the ball, Dallas got totally hosed on that call! What's the point of even having replay if it isn't used to get all things right?

This team is still alive.

Yep. Hard as the situation is to stomach, being two games up in the division qualifies as far more than a warmed-over corpse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes