PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR is a big need next offseason... [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah btu the question is will he be ready for week 1. The injury couldn't possibly have come at a worse time.

He will be there, don't you worry, you troll.

Re: WR is a big need next offseason...

I didn't mean to complain but every team needs everything. No team is "set" at any position. Not in today's NFL. Every team can improve at any position.

Wow.. guess we have to cut Brady.

I dont even know what the hell an awnser is. I question my semi-literate friend here and why he has given up on Tate and edelman. I think the "awnser" is you are a troll, any qusstens?

Get a clue is my answer to you...

Uncapped year next year = sign Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall. Have one of those two guys with Moss and Co. for 2010 where you don't have to worry about the salary cap.

Let Moss walk after next year and for a capped 2011 you have Jackson/Marshall taking over for Moss as the high paid WR. Welker is definitely back and healthy with hopefully Tate and Edelman. Draft a game-changer WR in the first round of 2011 with one of the two first round picks we have. Green, Jones, Floyd, Baldwin.

In summary:

2009 = capped year = we had Moss getting the "big money" at WR

2010 = uncapped = we have Moss and Marshall/Jackson getting big money with Welker missing time

2011 = capped = we let Moss walk and Marshall/Jackson slides into the "big money" WR spot that Moss occupied in the last cap year (2009), draft a top flight WR in round 1

Isn't it a little ridiculous to have Marshall, Moss and Welker as receivers. You guys ever heard of drafting talent (see the Colts).

Re: Receivers Next Year

I haven't suggested otherwise. I agree that needs at receiver should be met in free agency or with 4th round or later draft choices.

This team should just trade away all of it's draft picks and hope to sign players with a proven NFL track record.

I know we are a few weeks from offseason talk.. But with Welker going down, we need WR help.. Sam Aiken is not the answer,and Edeman is not the awnser... And Brandon Tate has more questions than answer. We need WR help, we underestimated Gaffney, and for that matter Kelly Washington.. We could use 2 more WR, espically with Moss on his last year, and now Welker big question mark..

Sean - No offense but when are you going to stop whining? Seriously. I'd have to say that most of the threads you've posted in the last few weeks have been nothing but whining and making statements that just aren't true.

WR isn't a BIG NEED. First, Edelman is a damn good ROOKIE WR. You expecting more is you having stupid expectations. You also seem to have forgotten about Tate. He showed some pretty good stuff the few weeks he played before the Pats decided to shut him down for the season.

The Pats don't NEED 2 more WR. It would be a LUXURY to have 2 more WR.

The Pats didn't underestimate Kelley Washington. The only reason Washington did anythign with Baltimore is because their WR corps is below average to begin with.

Why is Welker a big question mark? You don't even know what his injury is? Hell, you're acting like they are going to have to amputate his leg or something.

Isn't it a little ridiculous to have Marshall, Moss and Welker as receivers. You guys ever heard of drafting talent (see the Colts).

This is just a stupid comment on your part.

The Colts, many times, are FORCED to play draftees because they don't re-sign players. The Colts are also horrible when it comes to signing free agents..

WR isn't a BIG NEED. First, Edelman is a damn good ROOKIE WR. You expecting more is you having stupid expectations. You also seem to have forgotten about Tate. He showed some pretty good stuff the few weeks he played before the Pats decided to shut him down for the season.

It's a big need when you consider Moss only has a few seasons left in the NFL.

Edelman is a good WR but he isn't a deep threat. We need a guy that takes away teams ability to smother Moss in double coverage in order to get the most out of him.

With the lackluster drafting from this team I think it's highly unlikely we find an adequate replacement for Moss in the draft.

It's a big need when you consider Moss only has a few seasons left in the NFL.

Edelman is a good WR but he isn't a deep threat. We need a guy that takes away teams ability to smother Moss in double coverage in order to get the most out of him.

With the lackluster drafting from this team I think it's highly unlikely we find an adequate replacement for Moss in the draft.

Have you ever seen Brandon Tate play? I have.. He's pretty damn good. And, prior to Moss, who were these "down field threats" that the Pats had. Branch wasn't one. Neither was Givens. Yet, the Pats played extremely well.

People like you seem to have forgotten the lack of quality at WR from 2001 through 2006. The Pats, at best, had 4 "#2/#3" type receivers. But that is stretching it since Brown was on the downside of his career in 2003 and Patten got benched before the end of the season in 2004.

Could the Pats add another WR? Well, sure they could. But much of it depends on where they finish in the play-offs. IF they finish in the top 4, then they won't be allowed to sign anyone unless they have lost someone of equal value. And there are restrictions if they finish in the top 8 as well.

Have you ever seen Brandon Tate play? I have.. He's pretty damn good. And, prior to Moss, who were these "down field threats" that the Pats had. Branch wasn't one. Neither was Givens. Yet, the Pats played extremely well.

People like you seem to have forgotten the lack of quality at WR from 2001 through 2006. The Pats, at best, had 4 "#2/#3" type receivers. But that is stretching it since Brown was on the downside of his career in 2003 and Patten got benched before the end of the season in 2004.

Could the Pats add another WR? Well, sure they could. But much of it depends on where they finish in the play-offs. IF they finish in the top 4, then they won't be allowed to sign anyone unless they have lost someone of equal value. And there are restrictions if they finish in the top 8 as well.

Wow really? Are there restrictions on trades too?

Yeah, NE drafts WRs almost as well as the Colts draft DTs...

I tend to agree that WR would be beneficial due to the fact that moss is on the downside of his spectacular career. Welker we don't know the extent of the injury, however then we have Edelman who has played well as a rookie. We do not use our TE enough. Watson disappears and short arms catches. Baker needs to get involved much more. This offense would do much better if we commited to the run much more. Back to wr... There are good prospects such as Tate, Decker Mccluster from Ole Miss. Tate was playing well however he too was coming off a knee injury and u can't expect a rookie fighting through an injury and making the jump to the nfl to do well.

This team needs a solid rb and the right side of the ol is a mess. Neal needs to go either draft a run block G or a RT and move Kaczur inside...This is what the championship teams were built on running the ball.

With defenses having their hands tied more and more with each new year it's critical to have a powerhouse offense. I'm not saying they need to forget about defense and try to rebuild their an '07 style team but a stout defense just isn't what it takes anymore.

Sean - No offense but when are you going to stop whining? Seriously. I'd have to say that most of the threads you've posted in the last few weeks have been nothing but whining and making statements that just aren't true.

The Pats don't NEED 2 more WR. It would be a LUXURY to have 2 more WR.

The Pats didn't underestimate Kelley Washington. The only reason Washington did anythign with Baltimore is because their WR corps is below average to begin with.

Why is Welker a big question mark? You don't even know what his injury is? Hell, you're acting like they are going to have to amputate his leg or something.

Wow , I really guess you cant have a opinion and not make it sound like whining.. Well I guess will go out there with a 33 year old moss, Wes Welker who by all acounts will be coming off a major inj, ala Brady, will be slow to come back from... And dont give me Jullian Eldelman and Brandon Tate, Tate also has a knee questions... Eldleman is a OK rookie so far, he will earn his pelts now... But dont tell me its not a need, it is , and its not a whine, the team will need alot to improve with Miami and nyj next year...

We gambled on Tate this past year and hopefully he'll work out, cause if he doesn't, we really missed out on a talented class.

Mariucci talked about how this year's WR draft class could turn out to be the best ever. There are over 15 WRs from this year's class that has over 30 receptions. He said this three weeks ago, so maybe they all have 40 receptions by now.

Louis Murphy, who I thought we would draft has looked really good for Oakland, despite their inept QB play over there. He was drafted in the 4th round.

With defenses having their hands tied more and more with each new year it's critical to have a powerhouse offense. I'm not saying they need to forget about defense and try to rebuild their an '07 style team but a stout defense just isn't what it takes anymore.

Jangles - The point is probably going to be moot since the Pats are likely to be extremely limited on who they can sign.

Yeah that 1 and half games he played this year were so impressive...:rolleyes:

2006 was the only year they had no real wr , just a bunch of shoe makers...

the 2001 -05 Yeah we had avg wr, but also a solid defense and a solid running game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference